Twitch.?

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
As you all know, Toothless is a year old. He's been pretty normal except for, as far as I can tell, he hasn't touched a bite of his salad in like two weeks, which you all know is unlike him. He will at least eat a bite or two. He also stopped eating most of his worms, I could usually get him to eat a few super worms, now I can only get him to eat one. But he will eat hornworms and even silkworms. Well, I have him out for some cuddles and the top of his tail, near the base, started twitching. Like when you get an errant twitch in your arm or leg or finger that does it a couple times and then stops. It didn't seem to bother him and he still basks, runs around and poops -- is the twitch a concern.?

For info, he has a 150w thrive heat, Arcadia t5 10.0 uvb, he's in a 120 gallon tank, he eats (at least one) superworm, hornworms, mealworms and silkworms. His salad I make kale, collards, turnip and mustard greens but, like I said, he hasn't eaten that lately.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
As you all know, Toothless is a year old. He's been pretty normal except for, as far as I can tell, he hasn't touched a bite of his salad in like two weeks, which you all know is unlike him. He will at least eat a bite or two. He also stopped eating most of his worms, I could usually get him to eat a few super worms, now I can only get him to eat one. But he will eat hornworms and even silkworms. Well, I have him out for some cuddles and the top of his tail, near the base, started twitching. Like when you get an errant twitch in your arm or leg or finger that does it a couple times and then stops. It didn't seem to bother him and he still basks, runs around and poops -- is the twitch a concern.?

For info, he has a 150w thrive heat, Arcadia t5 10.0 uvb, he's in a 120 gallon tank, he eats (at least one) superworm, hornworms, mealworms and silkworms. His salad I make kale, collards, turnip and mustard greens but, like I said, he hasn't eaten that lately.
How often is the twitch? Make sure your uvb is of proper distance- what is the distance now and is it directly above the basking decor

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
How often is the twitch? Make sure your uvb is of proper distance- what is the distance now and is it directly above the basking decor
It's inside and it's like 10 inches from where he sits, maybe 8, worst case. This is the first time I've ever seen it, and I go everywhere with him. It only twitched a few times and he didn't even care about it.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Not enough and to much calcium both can cause it. How old is the uvb it may have become weak. When Zen was doing that taking him out in the real sunshine helped a bunch. Dehydration might contribute also. Just food for thought 🙂

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Not enough and to much calcium both can cause it. How old is the uvb it may have become weak. When Zen was doing that taking him out in the real sunshine helped a bunch. Dehydration might contribute also. Just food for thought 🙂
I do dust his salad but I haven't been dusting his bugs lately, he just isn't eating much of them. Maybe three all day, at best, regardless what they are. Uhhh... we got it like maybe six months ago, at most. I gave him a bath last week and he did drink a bunch of water so it may be that. I'll have to take him outside more and give him another bath again. Like I said, it was the only time he's ever done it but it was definitely odd.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I do dust his salad but I haven't been dusting his bugs lately, he just isn't eating much of them. Maybe three all day, at best, regardless what they are. Uhhh... we got it like maybe six months ago, at most. I gave him a bath last week and he did drink a bunch of water so it may be that. I'll have to take him outside more and give him another bath again. Like I said, it was the only time he's ever done it but it was definitely odd.
Make sure hes hydrated -- if hes only eating 3 bugs that is fine dust them and not the salads - he will get his calcium that way -- your UVB is fine change it out in 10-11 months for the T 5-- how long is he sitting under the UVB 8 inches is too close for a 5 please raise it to at least 12 inches

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The slight twitching can be a number of things, supplementation, UVB exposure, injury, etc.
For now, I would increase the calcium just a little bit on the frequency of the days given. Maybe
increase the dusting for a few weeks or so but monitor the hardness & color of the urates.
As Karrie suggested, it would be safer to raise the T5 tube to around 10 or so inches. Which brand
is your T5?

Tracie

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hello,

The slight twitching can be a number of things, supplementation, UVB exposure, injury, etc.
For now, I would increase the calcium just a little bit on the frequency of the days given. Maybe
increase the dusting for a few weeks or so but monitor the hardness & color of the urates.
As Karrie suggested, it would be safer to raise the T5 tube to around 10 or so inches. Which brand
is your T5?

Tracie
I've been dusting his salad and bugs typically since I had him, when he was two months and he just turned one and that was the only time he twitched. The bulb is 10, I'm fairly certain. I can't raise it any higher, because it's right against the lid in the tank and any higher will put it on top of the mesh. It's an Arcadia t5 10.0 bulb. His poops have been looking a little loose but his urates have been looking fine lately

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I've been dusting his salad and bugs typically since I had him, when he was two months and he just turned one and that was the only time he twitched. The bulb is 10, I'm fairly certain. I can't raise it any higher, because it's right against the lid in the tank and any higher will put it on top of the mesh. It's an Arcadia t5 10.0 bulb. His poops have been looking a little loose but his urates have been looking fine lately
What is your distance from the UVB to the basking decor piece? The Arcadia should be a 12% bulb

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
What is your distance from the UVB to the basking decor piece? The Arcadia should be a 12% bulb
Im sorry, I was way wrong. It's 17-18 inches from the decor piece. If he's sitting on it then it's like 14ish. He's in one of the 4x2x2 from dubia

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
How long is he sitting under the uvb? Is the bulb a 12%
It's a 14% Arcadia 10.0. he sits on his hide most of the day but there are several days where he's out on our bed most of the day instead and he typically climbs off of it to go lay under his log or in the corner sometimes as early as like 2 or 3 or a little bit later like 6 or so. But he does sit under it for the most part

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It's a 14% Arcadia 10.0. he sits on his hide most of the day but there are several days where he's out on our bed most of the day instead and he typically climbs off of it to go lay under his log or in the corner sometimes as early as like 2 or 3 or a little bit later like 6 or so. But he does sit under it for the most part
You bulb should be 12% 24 watt

Vulnedushk

It's a bit of a head-scratcher when he's been acting differently with his eating habits. That Twitch you're noticing on his tail is definitely something to keep an eye on, although it's a good sign that he's still basking, moving around, and maintaining his routine. Have you ever thought about Twitch? Not for Toothless, of course, but for your own entertainment. You can actually give your stream a boost and buy Twitch followers instantly. It might be something fun to consider while you're keeping an eye on Toothless.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom