Travel

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
So we may be going on an in-state trip next month. I believe my cousin will be watching Dreki and Nubby for us but I was wanting to bring Toothless and Nova with us, if we can. How do you guys travel with your scale babies.? Better yet, how do you travel with a male and female that want to fight/"wrestle". (Hint hint, wink wink)

We live in georgia and may be going to savannah, which is about 5ish hours. What's the best method of travel for them, my main concern is being without heat/uvb lights in the car. And what's the best way to enclose them in a hotel room.? I have one of those 60 gallon plastic tub things, I was thinking of putting one in. (We have a couple lamp clamps that can be used for uvb/heat). Would that be doable or what.? Any suggestions/recommendations that worked for others who've traveled with their lizard pals.? (I don't want to board them, if I can avoid it. I don't trust other people with my babies--I don't even like leaving them for the afternoon, much less overnight--and I'm worried about them getting too stressed with strangers and a strange place)

Also, Toothless' birthday was yesterday, he's officially one year old.๐ŸŽ‚๐Ÿฅณ๐ŸŽ‰

Attachments

• 20230611_201703.jpg
    20230611_201703.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 20230602_201324.jpg
    20230602_201324.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 59

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
So we may be going on an in-state trip next month. I believe my cousin will be watching Dreki and Nubby for us but I was wanting to bring Toothless and Nova with us, if we can. How do you guys travel with your scale babies.? Better yet, how do you travel with a male and female that want to fight/"wrestle". (Hint hint, wink wink)

We live in georgia and may be going to savannah, which is about 5ish hours. What's the best method of travel for them, my main concern is being without heat/uvb lights in the car. And what's the best way to enclose them in a hotel room.? I have one of those 60 gallon plastic tub things, I was thinking of putting one in. (We have a couple lamp clamps that can be used for uvb/heat). Would that be doable or what.? Any suggestions/recommendations that worked for others who've traveled with their lizard pals.? (I don't want to board them, if I can avoid it. I don't trust other people with my babies--I don't even like leaving them for the afternoon, much less overnight--and I'm worried about them getting too stressed with strangers and a strange place)

Also, Toothless' birthday was yesterday, he's officially one year old.๐ŸŽ‚๐Ÿฅณ๐ŸŽ‰
Happy birthday to Toothless ๐ŸŽ‰!
When I first got my bearded dragon I used a pillow case that the reptile shop gave me and it was a 35min drive and he was fine. If it is a longer drive you could possibly use some sort of heat mat that wonโ€™t burn their scales

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Happy birthday to Toothless ๐ŸŽ‰!
When I first got my bearded dragon I used a pillow case that the reptile shop gave me and it was a 35min drive and he was fine. If it is a longer drive you could possibly use some sort of heat mat that wonโ€™t burn their scales
Is there a heat mat that doesn't require a plug in.? It'd be about a 5ish hour drive. I know it won't hurt them or anything, I just want to make sure they'd be as less stressed as possible.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra

Matching beards ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Sorry i couldn't resist lol.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Happy birthday Toothless!!!
I take mine all over. I bring a carrier in case they get rowdy, i bring towels in case they need to poop, i bring extra towels in case i wasn't fast enough when they need to poop lol.
I bring 10 gallon tanks with a clamp light for each and i use che's instead of bulbs (they handke travel much better) abd i bring uvb fixture also. The 10 gallon is cramped but they are only in them at night or very briefly during the day. I just don't run the air very high in the car, or if it's cooler i run the heat some. I generally don't bring a mix of genders so that isn't an issue for me. I would bring 2 carriers in case i had to separatethem in the car.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Happy birthday Toothless!!!
I take mine all over. I bring a carrier in case they get rowdy, i bring towels in case they need to poop, i bring extra towels in case i wasn't fast enough when they need to poop lol.
I bring 10 gallon tanks with a clamp light for each and i use che's instead of bulbs (they handke travel much better) abd i bring uvb fixture also. The 10 gallon is cramped but they are only in them at night or very briefly during the day. I just don't run the air very high in the car, or if it's cooler i run the heat some. I generally don't bring a mix of genders so that isn't an issue for me. I would bring 2 carriers in case i had to separatethem in the car.
Well, I'd only bring the both of them just because I don't know how Nova would do without us at home. I know Toothless would get super stressed, I swear he has separation anxiety. Nova would probably be okay, but she really loves her human interaction but I don't know how she'd do with someone she didn't know well. (Chris' sister is coming to stay with his parents for a week)

What about those large 60 or 70qt storage totes, would those work for temp tanks, too.? We only have one 10g tank but have a few of those. It's in the high 80s here and humid as hell. I'd really like to bring them, if I can. At least Toothless. I hate leaving them alone, I get anxious and worried in a worst-case scenario when we even stay somewhere overnight. Do you think it'd be a disaster.? Do you think we'd be able to like... make separate sections of our condo room to let them roam without being around each other and risking a fight.? I'm way over thinking all of this.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Yup i think your over thinking it some, but thats bettet than under thinking it. The totes would work for a bit, it's not like it's permanent. You could use mvb's in clamp fixtures so you didn't have to bring separate uvb lights. Again not a perfect set up but it isn't permanent.
I agree on the separation anxiety, we left for the weekend and my guys are still being standoffish. They are such demanding lil creatures lol ๐Ÿ˜†

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Yup i think your over thinking it some, but thats bettet than under thinking it. The totes would work for a bit, it's not like it's permanent. You could use mvb's in clamp fixtures so you didn't have to bring separate uvb lights. Again not a perfect set up but it isn't permanent.
I agree on the separation anxiety, we left for the weekend and my guys are still being standoffish. They are such demanding lil creatures lol ๐Ÿ˜†
Whats mvp.? We do have some che's, you think those will supplement the heat from their basking bulbs.?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Typo lol, mvb was what i meant. Mercury vapor bulb ๐Ÿ’ก

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. ๐Ÿ˜”
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. ๐Ÿ˜ด
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom