Tracing Genetics

Status
Not open for further replies.
How important is it to be able to trace genetics prior to breeding... I have a beardie that I bought from a pet store that I am considering breeding when it gets older. Now, I would buy the mate from a breeder out of state which would pretty much ensure that they are not siblings. Therefore, I don't think it will be an issue... but I'm interested in other opinions.

Stephies_Leo _Dragon

Juvie Member
I think most people that buy baby beardies want to know thier family lineage. I think you can probably sell the babies regardless but maybe not for as much money and might take longer to sell them all. If you can go back to the pet store and maybe find out who their breeder is so you can contact them that would be great. Good luck !

clamentfamily

Original Poster
Thank you, I hadn't thought about people wanting to know any more of the lineage than the parents. I was more concerned about in-breeding. I do plan to go back to the pet store and ask, but I figure the chance is pretty good that I won't find out... Thanks again for the reply.

Stephies_Leo _Dragon

Juvie Member
Oh sorry I misunderstood your post :oops: I would guess that most chain pet stores get thier babies from what I would call "beardie mills", like puppie mills. So if you bought from a small breeder it would be slimmer chances you would have any inbreeding. Good luck !

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
Smaller breeder from out of your state would probably do it. It would seem most of the large breeders do a good job of in house record keeping to produce good bloodlines, but those records would be meaningless to the average customer. They keep track of "holdbacks" for future out crosses of bloodlines, and morphs.

If you got one at a pet store, chances are pretty slim, to none, that you get one within 3 or 4 generations of the dragon you own. Unless you buy from another local pet store.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom