Totally different Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axeman

Today I took everything out of the 55 gallon tank, and scrubbed everything down. I put in new bulbs and new brown paper on the sides and back. I have never covered the sides and back, but its against the wall, and in a quiet room. All new sand, cleaned the glass. I spent a good two hours freshening up the place. A couple months ago I bought him a huge water dish thinking he may enjoy a splash once in awhile. He has never bothered with it. So after everything is cleaned up, and the new sand is in, I change up the layout. I had two hammocks on one side, and I stacked two pieces of driftwood for a ram to them. Today I put a hammock on each side of the tank with driftwood stacked to get to both hammocks. One hammock is kept hot and the other is just warm. Then he can get undernearth either corner for shade. I placed the huge water bowl in the center with his food dish. I should get off my hump and just take a picture lol.

Diesel is almost a year old, and has always seemed kinda lazy. He would run when it was time to eat, and I always had to drown his food to keep him hydrated. I would throw his live food in the water bowl, and he would eat it out of there, but he would never just drink from it.

So today my little freak of a dragon, and I mean that in a loving way, goes NUTS when I put him in his new clean home. He goes straight to the water bowl and drinks for 5 minutes! I was excited! Then he jumps in and lays in the water (he just fits). Next he lifts his tail and takes a huge dump (thanks buddy). He starts running from hammock to hammock, splashing thru the water bowl each time he cross's the tank. After 10 times back and forth, 70% of the sand is wet (top layer), and he starts biting his tail, and feet. Then he starts eating clumps of wet sand! I had fed him two hours before, just before I moved him to his holding cell. WTF! So I pull him out of his tank, and put him back in the holding tank. He has calmed down, but its just a 20 gallon tank with paper towl on the bottom, nothing else, and not much room to move.

What do I do with this freak!? Is it because he cant see out of the sides of the tank? He keeps trying to look around the corners in front. Was it the drastic change in furniture? Maybe I should have changed the UV bulbs a month ago? These were 6 months old.

Temp were perfect when I put him back in.

Axeman

Original Poster
This is Diesel's garage.
patrick-dpp-albums-patrick-discountpowerparts-com-picture1905-diesel-garage.jpg

This is Diesel, looking a little stressed. I just put him back in his clean home. During the time I edited the photo and got it up loaded, his color has come back. He seems to be calm again, but he is moving around checking things out.
patrick-dpp-albums-patrick-discountpowerparts-com-picture1904-hi-my-name-diesel-biotch.jpg

Haha. Aww gotta love when you go outta your way to clean everything up and you put them back in and they mess it all up again, lol.
I would love to see some pics! The set-up sounds great, and maybe removing the material on the sides of his viv will make it more comfortable for him so he can see out still.

LJean

Extreme Poster
Sounds like he was enjoying himself! LOL
Maybe the sand was a bit itchy for him after it clung to him. :wink:

Axeman

Original Poster
What a mess. I just cleaned the water bowl out AGAIN, and smoothed out the sand. I know everyone tells you not to use sand, but when I got him I wanted to try it out. I figured if he had a problem with eating I would remove the sand, and put in some flat rock. He has always eaten from the tweazers or from my hand. I have no idea why he started eating wet clumps of sand today. He seems ok now. I'll keep an eye on him this evening.

LJean

Extreme Poster
The mess is why I don't use sand. ;)

Was he only eating the clumps that were stuck to him?

Axeman

Original Poster
Day two with the new layout. He seems just fine. He is still trying to get around the corner, but he will get use to the sides being covered. Other than that he is more active than before, looking around, and exploring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom