Took my sisters Beardie in…

Teenybbduck

Beardie name(s)
Spoon
So, my sister recently came forward and told me she couldn’t take care of her beardie anymore and asked if I knew anyone who would take him.

Spoon has been with us for two years and I couldn’t imagine letting him go away. So I offered to take him in so that if she ever changed her mind, she can always have him back.

Tonight is his first night with us, and he has spent most of his time underneath his log hide. I figured this would happen, because it was a 45min drive to my apartment and then of course he is in a new place with new smells, sounds, and siblings (we have three cats who have been very curiously trying to peek at him. I have done everything I can to give him privacy to decompress.)

My question is- when should I worry? I love him, but he hasn’t seen me in months so he may not be as familiar with me as he used to be. He had some dubias today and ate them with some patient coaxing. I went to the store to get his favorite treat (strawberries), but he wasn’t much interested in doing more than licking some of the juice from his lips.

What’s a good way for me to gradually build trust and bonding with him? I just want him to be as happy and healthy with me as possible, any tips are very much appreciated! I don’t want to try to handle him too much since he’s had a big day- but when should I start re-introducing myself more?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So, my sister recently came forward and told me she couldn’t take care of her beardie anymore and asked if I knew anyone who would take him.

Spoon has been with us for two years and I couldn’t imagine letting him go away. So I offered to take him in so that if she ever changed her mind, she can always have him back.

Tonight is his first night with us, and he has spent most of his time underneath his log hide. I figured this would happen, because it was a 45min drive to my apartment and then of course he is in a new place with new smells, sounds, and siblings (we have three cats who have been very curiously trying to peek at him. I have done everything I can to give him privacy to decompress.)

My question is- when should I worry? I love him, but he hasn’t seen me in months so he may not be as familiar with me as he used to be. He had some dubias today and ate them with some patient coaxing. I went to the store to get his favorite treat (strawberries), but he wasn’t much interested in doing more than licking some of the juice from his lips.

What’s a good way for me to gradually build trust and bonding with him? I just want him to be as happy and healthy with me as possible, any tips are very much appreciated! I don’t want to try to handle him too much since he’s had a big day- but when should I start re-introducing myself more?
Right away -- pet him in the tank-- keep the cats away from him they will stress him out- he needs time to acclimate to his new surroundings - his eating will be off but he should be eating a little - if he quits eating all together there is a issues- is his uvb a long tube fixture-- basking temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- the uvb should be properly placed for the tube fixture - all these things I posted are going to help w/ the acclimating to his surroundings -

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
It could take a few days or couple weeks for him to get adjusted. If he eating that’s a good thing. I recommend putting a piece of your clothing in his enclosure for him to get used to your smell.

Teenybbduck

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Spoon
Yep! His tank has all the appropriate temps. I have one pain with the tank and that’s that she has put SAND in it (innocent ignorance but I don’t personally like sand as a beardie substrate due to the risks involved). :( not happy about that so I am switching him to paper or a less dangerous substrate. His basking light is right around 95-100 and during the day his warm spots sit comfortably around 83-85F. I did pet and stroke him today, held him while I tried to think in a panic about what I was going to do about all the sand. He just seems tuckered out. It’s his bedtime right now (he’s been sleeping since around 8pm, it’s now 10pm), so I plan to do some more pets and quality time tomorrow. He really is a very gentle and sweet boy when he’s not stressed but when he got here he had some very obvious stress lines, so I just want to make sure I’m helping him have the least traumatic transition possible. He is terribly loved.

Teenybbduck

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Spoon
It could take a few days or couple weeks for him to get adjusted. If he eating that’s a good thing. I recommend putting a piece of your clothing in his enclosure for him to get used to your smell.
I will try that! I have a small hat I wear that I can put in there.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Get him out just a bit before lights out and snuggle with him untill he falls asleep. He should come to expect and look forward to it pretty quickly. It's another good way to bond, so is hand feeding.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom