tips on fattening up a skinny bearded dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

benbji

i’ve had Ed for all of her life, which is about 7-8 months now. she is healthy in most aspects (temperature, humidity, no injuries, right type of foods and supplements). however, she is far too skinny for her age. ed was always a little small even from birth, but i work my ass off to make sure she eats as much as possible. she doesn’t show a lack of willingness to eat, as she has a voracious appetite. however no matter how much i feed her, she remains skinny. very wrinkled sides, flat stomach, all the telltale signs. i leave a plate of varied vegetables and sometimes fruit out for her everyday, and she eats on average about 70% of the plate. i go out to by her crickets what seems like almost everyday, and she can make 70 full grown crickets disappear in a little over a day. yet despite this, she’s still far too skinny. i’m just glad she hasn’t gotten any other form of bad health. her stool is normal as well. she is active and very complacent, she has never even shown me a full black beard. are there any recommendations for fattening her up? it feels like i’m spending 40 bucks on crickets alone every week. she’s just started her first shed after several months

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Add some dubia roaches to her diet along w/ some super worms -- you can get some butter worms and some horn worms as well along w/ some silk worms
the dubias and silk are good staple feeders you can get them from here along w/ the super worms
www.reptilianarts.com the cupped silk come w/ food -- the bulk do not
butter worms and horn worms you can get from here order small amounts of the horn worms like 1 cup at a time they grow really fast www.mulberryfarms.com this place is spendy on shipping but they send Fed Ex
Adding the different worms and another staple will add variety to the diet --

benbji

Original Poster
i was just about to take you up on your advice but all the pet stores in the area have been closed for the past two days due to a massive snowstorm. they’ll likely be closed tomorrow and the day after as well, and my supply of crickets died yesterday due to the sudden shift in temperature. i’m not quite sure what to do as ed is already skinny and hasn’t gotten insects recently, but i’ve sent out an SOS on social media to see if there were any pet owners in the area that had feeders that ed could eat

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would start ordering them online- petstores are expensive - you can have them held at the post office and you pick up- I would get some ordered now-- dubias are the best feeder -- you can get some repashy grub pie and feed him that along w/ his salads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom