Tip of tail

Status
Not open for further replies.

leMatt

Hey guys,

Just a tiny bit of background so I hopefully get a few less questions..

We've had Wally for about 2 months now and he is around 5 months old. His tail had a small nip in it, but we didn't make much of it. The breeder told us that tiny bit would fall off and possibly grow back. We took him to a vet a couple weeks later just for a general check up (we wanted to make sure we wern't killing our first dragon) and she gave him a clean bill of health (apart from some worms, which we got medicine for)..

While we were at the vet, we asked about the tip of his tail. We were somewhat worried after reading http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=104827&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=0. Our vet told us that it should be fine and that it would eventually fall off.

A month and half (and two sheds) later the tip is still there. Is thing something we should be worrying about? The tip is noticeably darker than the rest of body.. apart from how it looks, he still seems fine - he eats lots and is very alert and active.

I've attached some pictures, I would appreciate some insight from you more knowledgeable folk! :)

The first one is from a tiny bit further back.. I'm not sure if it's just my hypochondria.. but it looks like the "dark" from the tip of his tail extends (but gets better) a ways up his tail..
IMGP0835.jpg

This one is quite clearly of the tip.. as you can see, it's pretty darn dark!
IMGP0834.jpg

Cheers,

Matt

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Matt, that looks to me to be two distinct bites, and yes it can indeed move up the tail.
Try this, make a warm bath, and when Wally has had his soak, add two drops of Betadine iodine to the bath water, and allow him to soak some more. Don't allow him to drink any of this water.
Just keep doing that, and when you dry him off apply some Neosporin to the area.
I would indeed get that rechecked by the vet, voicing your concerns.

Oh, and the breeder is completely wrong in telling you this would grow back..Some reptiles do indeed grow back appendages that are lost, but not dragons.

Hope this helps out ! Keep us posted on Wally !
Janie.

leMatt

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice Janie!

I could be totally off about the tail regrowing comment.. I seem to remember someone mentioning it (either the vet or the breeder) - but I might have just made that up in my memories.

I'm guessing the betadine and neosporine are just to help with keeping the tip disinfected and help with healing? If it works, what can I expect to happen; should the tips fall off, or simply heal and return to a more natural color (or could either happen)?

Thanks again for the advice, and the quick reply! I'll keep you posted.

Matt

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Hi again, Matt. Yes you can expect the tip to fall off, and once healed will look like this:
IMG_0066.jpg

I can't quite get a close up crop of Yardley's tail, but can you see the nub ?

Also the back right leg ?

Both of those were bitten off by a tank mate when he was with his original owner/breeder.

Hope this helps out !
Janie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camila
Top Bottom