Time for a roadtrip

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
IMG_20240308_140203.jpg

Luis went on his first roadtrip today, which was a one hour (oneway) drive to the vet. What can I say, he was not happy at all 😅

He tried to bite the vet a couple of times but every time he calmed down as soon as I touched him. Which is about as tame as I want him to be (he should puff up if strangers try to touch him, in my opinion) so I'm very proud :)

He was quite fine with having a blood sample taken, so he just doesn't like strangers but has no issue with needles apparently.

He has good weight and size for his age and seems healthy. There is some shed comming up though ;)
IMG_20240304_164923.jpg

IMG_20240306_164536.jpg

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
I hope that the visit to the veterinarian was preventive and that everything is fine with Luis.
Usually beardies behave very warily during the first trip. The next trips will be much calmer, perhaps next time it will be a trip to nature or a picnic.;) These are precious moments when our little dragons trust us so much that they calm down from just our touch and our voice, I completely understand :love:

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Just looking at the photos:
Is there a reason why you had chosen a soft (fabric) bag for him? I've seen both styles are available and I decided for exactly the opposite one, a hard plastic container (like a small kennel) because I thought this might be easier in case of disinfecting, clearly shows there is a pet inside and could not be mistaken for luggage, and might also protect the dragon better (quite impossible that somebody steps onto it or compresses it otherwise).

But as I would also think you have thought about what to get, I'm curious, especially as I want to improve things if necessary. I could think of the benefits of a bag like this could be: conceals the dragon better from nosy people who always look if they see a kennel*, and nothing hard inside?

*People looked and asked even when I brought mine home empty!

Last edited:

Chris.

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
I hope that the visit to the veterinarian was preventive and that everything is fine with Luis.
Usually beardies behave very warily during the first trip. The next trips will be much calmer, perhaps next time it will be a trip to nature or a picnic.;) These are precious moments when our little dragons trust us so much that they calm down from just our touch and our voice, I completely understand :love:
Actually there is an other vet near by where I live. Like I can walk there in less than 10 min, wich I did for his pre-brumation checkup ;)
Today I took the time to visit an expert (there are people from all over the country to get to this vet!) just see if he agrees with my vet. Because I'm paranoid with Luis and 10 min walking seemed to good to be true. Anyway, turns out they not only agree about Luis' health but they even know each other, lol.

Yes I want to take him out into nature as soon as the weather is warm enough! But I also know to be patient and ease him into this advantures. But he did not go into his hide after we came back and was kind of clingy so maybe he is not even that stressed about the trip.

He's really a matcho sometimes. When we are alone, he pretends I'm not even there and does not care about me too much. As soon as there are people around that he does not know he will not let go of me and clinges onto me like really hard (I even have scars to proof that, lol).

Have you taken Foxy outside into nature already?

Just looking at the photos:
Is there a reason why you had chosen a soft (fabric) bag for him? I've seen both styles are available and I decided for exactly the opposite one, a hard plastic container (like a small kennel) because I thought this might be easier in case of disinfecting, clearly shows there is a pet inside and could not be mistaken for luggage, and might also protect the dragon better (quite impossible that somebody steps onto it or compresses it otherwise).

But as I would also think you have thought about what to get, I'm curious, especially as I want to improve things if necessary. I could think of the benefits of a bag like this could be: conceals the dragon better from nosy people who always look if they see a kennel*, and nothing hard inside?

*People looked and asked even when I brought mine home empty!
There is nothing wrong with a hardcase, I went for this one because it is
- kind of stiff and has a hard bottom plate that is water repellant and can be removed for disinfecting.
- it has fine mesh and fabric that he can hold on to and does not slip around
- it has lots of mesh for ventilation/sun/view

I want to use it not only for travels, I like to also take him to a lake at some point in summer and he can comfortably sit inside this one and soak up some sun throu the mesh while being protected (and locked). Also there is a small leash with a hook inside where I can fix his harness onto, so I can put the case somewhere with the door open (there are openings at the top, front and both sides) and he can run around in an area as long as his leash and he can always come back to this "safe place".
Those were just some of my ideas, now idea how this goes in practice :)

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
No, we can’t go anywhere yet, there’s still snow on the streets. But Foxy is looking forward to summer, then we can go with him to our country house. I don't know if you saw the photos and videos from last year, so here's a link to my thread, Foxy was a lot of fun.
I want to say a few words in defense of the soft bag for dragons, I have almost the same one. It is very convenient to put regular baby disposable diapers on the bottom. I take several of them with him and at any time I can change a soiled diaper.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
No, we can’t go anywhere yet, there’s still snow on the streets. But Foxy is looking forward to summer, then we can go with him to our country house. I don't know if you saw the photos and videos from last year, so here's a link to my thread, Foxy was a lot of fun.
I want to say a few words in defense of the soft bag for dragons, I have almost the same one. It is very convenient to put regular baby disposable diapers on the bottom. I take several of them with him and at any time I can change a soiled diaper.
That was before I joined the forum but thank you for sharing that, it is soo cool to see him like this running and jumping and out in the world 😍
The idea with the diapers is amazing, I will probably give this a try also 👍

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
- kind of stiff and has a hard bottom plate that is water repellant and can be removed for disinfecting.

I want to use it not only for travels, I like to also take him to a lake at some point in summer and he can comfortably sit inside this one and soak up some sun throu the mesh while being protected (and locked). Also there is a small leash with a hook inside where I can fix his harness onto, so I can put the case somewhere with the door open (there are openings at the top, front and both sides) and he can run around in an area as long as his leash and he can always come back to this "safe place".
Thanks for letting me know.
Hadn't recognized that it is rather stiff.
The fine mesh, fabric: I had worried exactly about this, as I don't let him unattended on any kind of fabric as I fear his claws might get catch (his nails are not too long, however).
The thing with using it as a mobile hide is for sure great :)
My Taco also has a harness, he accepts it as I also plan to go outside with him (balcony, short hikes). As we're here in the desert I for sure want to do that.
Also thank you for the suggestions with the diaper.

(I don't know if I will use it regularly; I rather bought it for emergencies, like, where to put him if I have to bring him to the vet, or other things. I likely won't travel much with him as here they're not allowed on planes, we don't have a car, ... but I will take him on hikes here.)

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Actually there is an other vet near by where I live. Like I can walk there in less than 10 min, wich I did for his pre-brumation checkup ;)
Today I took the time to visit an expert (there are people from all over the country to get to this vet!) just see if he agrees with my vet. Because I'm paranoid with Luis and 10 min walking seemed to good to be true. Anyway, turns out they not only agree about Luis' health but they even know each other, lol.

Yes I want to take him out into nature as soon as the weather is warm enough! But I also know to be patient and ease him into this advantures. But he did not go into his hide after we came back and was kind of clingy so maybe he is not even that stressed about the trip.

He's really a matcho sometimes. When we are alone, he pretends I'm not even there and does not care about me too much. As soon as there are people around that he does not know he will not let go of me and clinges onto me like really hard (I even have scars to proof that, lol).

Be aware that they see more spectrums of light than we do. When we take them out into natural sunlight, we look different to them than when inside. It can spook or even scare them at first, talking to them and handling them the same as when inside can help and they'll figure it out. 3 of mine (Zen, Snickers, and Sinatra) took alot longer than the others to except being held while outside. Sinatra still is really jumpy. The 2 big factors are not wanting to stress them, or spooking them and have them maybe jump and get hurt or to jump and bolt off. Once they figure it out though, it's great enrichment for them.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Be aware that they see more spectrums of light than we do. When we take them out into natural sunlight, we look different to them than when inside. It can spook or even scare them at first, talking to them and handling them the same as when inside can help and they'll figure it out. 3 of mine (Zen, Snickers, and Sinatra) took alot longer than the others to except being held while outside. Sinatra still is really jumpy. The 2 big factors are not wanting to stress them, or spooking them and have them maybe jump and get hurt or to jump and bolt off. Once they figure it out though, it's great enrichment for them.
That's a good point and explains why Luis did freak out when I took him on the balcony last summer. I knew they see more colors and also more of the light spectrum but I did not realise that WE look different in different lightings....

Thanks for letting me know.
Hadn't recognized that it is rather stiff.
The fine mesh, fabric: I had worried exactly about this, as I don't let him unattended on any kind of fabric as I fear his claws might get catch (his nails are not too long, however).
The thing with using it as a mobile hide is for sure great :)
My Taco also has a harness, he accepts it as I also plan to go outside with him (balcony, short hikes). As we're here in the desert I for sure want to do that.
Also thank you for the suggestions with the diaper.

(I don't know if I will use it regularly; I rather bought it for emergencies, like, where to put him if I have to bring him to the vet, or other things. I likely won't travel much with him as here they're not allowed on planes, we don't have a car, ... but I will take him on hikes here.)
I'm also not planing on taking him on a plane. But maybe some camping and hiking trips will be some enrichment for him.
You are right there is always a risk with fabrics of getting their claws stuck. I will look out for that but I think the fabric might be a good mesh to climb. He also likes to climb up my trousers and my sweater and it has never been an issue so far.

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
You are right there is always a risk with fabrics of getting their claws stuck. I will look out for that but I think the fabric might be a good mesh to climb. He also likes to climb up my trousers and my sweater and it has never been an issue so far.
I thought about that as Taco gets stuck (a bit) on a regular cotton T-shirt - not much, but sometimes a bit. And I don't want this happen without me being able to help. That's also why I will not get him anything made of fabric for his enclosure. (Haven't tried what happens when he sits on a hoodie or knitted sweater as it's just so hot here that T-shirts are what I wear all year long :D)
He doesn't get his claws stuck on fabric such as from a dress shirt, or cargo work pants, likely as the fabric is too dense and stiff to be pierced.

I'm also not planing on taking him on a plane.
I'd also, honestly, would avoid bringing him on a plane even if allowed. The pressure on the ears... the cold air from the air condition :(

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom