The Ultimate Enclosure!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeJHB

I am in the planning stage of building what I would consider the ultimate beardie enclosure, and was just curious if anyone has seen, heard or thought of some good ideas that should be included? I would also appreciate comments on my ideas.
I should mention I have a background in computers, electronics and woodwork, so this is right up my alley!

The basic layout will be a pine cage, approx 900mm x 2000mm floor area, height is not yet decided. an overhead opening lid and front opening door(s)

Here are some of my own ideas so far:

>> LIGHTS- the goal is to create a more natural type of light to the Arcadia on its own (which reminds my more of a sunbed/disco than a desert)
an Arcadia D3 900mm,
a 150W spot with auto dimmer,
a night moon glow lamp with dimmer,
a normal fish tank 900mm sun fluorescent bulb to increase the amount of light

>> An automated lighting system that adjusts the light depending on the time of day (and season)

>> A temperature regulator that rises and falls through the day, using the spot and night lights as heating sources, (also considering installing an old laptop and matching the temperature of Australia via the Internet! :D )

>> Automated fans, that circulate the air. Thus cooling the tank and lowering the humidity if needed.

>> a waterfall, with water circulating through a filter.

>> a dehumidifier, to compensate for the waterfall.

The actual design of the layout is also important, and will depend on the final ideas I decide to include.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
:blob5:

drewdizzo

I would reconsider making your cage out of pine. Pine contains aromatic hydrocarbons which could be damaging to you dragon. Although it is more expensive, you should consider using melamine or another alternative.

beardiebandit

Hatchling Member
that sounds pretty cool. about the same idea of my vivs i just built but a little moe advanced. my vivs are day and m=night cycled and temp controlled with a night kick back to reduce night temps. i will have a seasonal time next month. right now its just day and night.

i have four 4'x2'x2' enclosures all controlled by one set of controls all four are set up the same and the temps are monitored and regulated by the one tank. the rest are slaves to what the temp is in that particular enclosure. i have get readings from all four and they only range 3 degrees.

here is a pic of what i have. these tanks where pretty much just prototypes. my next ones will be made out of hard wood.
S6300271.jpg

S6300255.jpg

S6300240.jpg

Terryg123

Hatchling Member
Wow, that will be some enclosure! I have just a few ideas. When you go to buy your fish aquarium light, consider one that is "full spectrum" or "high noon". I have a full spectrum light in my enclosures and personally feel that it is of some benefit to beardies. Another thought is that Melamine is not really expensive, at least where I live, and I think it is a good choice. The last thought is about your waterfall. If your wanting to put it in there for the sight of it that is ok. If your putting it in your enclosure because beardies are more inclined to drink from moving water or dew drops, then there is a product you can buy that is relatively small and gets hooked up to an aquarium air pump that makes the water inside the rock like reservoir bubble and if you put the reservoir next to one side of your enclosure some drops of water get on the side that are like dew drops. The reservoir is small enough that I think you might not even need the dehumidifier. I hope everything goes well for you.
Terry

JakeJHB

Original Poster
Thanks drewdizzo on the pine tip, I was also considering railway sleeper offcuts- Estonia. I am just a little worried it may be a bit heavy to be practical. I'll check out the local prices before I buy- What other types of would are not reccomended?

Beardiebandit, Just a coule of questions:
What controllers are you using? I was thinking of building a controller circuit using an Atmel chip and a couple of relays as switches.
What are you using as a timer-It looks like an analogue timer? If that's so, how are you doing the seasonal timings?
What are you using to read the temeratures? I'm assuming it's just a digital temp probe?

That bubbling pond idea also sounds quite nice! It could also be a bit more practical! I'll see once I've made the cage how it'll work.

Here is a sketchup pic of what I have in mind so far:
Cage2.jpg

Thanks for the help so far!

beardiebandit

Hatchling Member
JakeJHB":0e721 said:
What controllers are you using? I was thinking of building a controller circuit using an Atmel chip and a couple of relays as switches.
im using a johnson control thermostate. cant remember the model number. will be upgrading soon
What are you using as a timer-It looks like an analogue timer? If that's so, how are you doing the seasonal timings?
it is an analog lamp timer. the seasonal timeing will be when i upgrade the control unit.
What are you using to read the temeratures? I'm assuming it's just a digital temp probe?
yes and i just bought a temp gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom