Taming a unruly dragon

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Hey guys as you know I have 2 beardies and my Amber was a bit special when I got her and she has flourished since she was 6" long. Since it's been nice out my Amber wants out from the moment I turn her lights on and till I turn them off. She wants no time under her lights lately and if I don't take her out she will scratch for hours till I take her out.

I'm at a lost on what to do do I let her scratch and throw a temper tantrum? Or do I take her out when she wants out to avoid her scratching her enclosure and injuring herself?? It's to the point where I literally have to leave my room or she will scratch constantly and honestly it's infuriating. I believe she does it because she knows I don't want her to get injured like she did when she had her clutches.

Note: She had 2 abrasions on her palms that needed to be monitored to prevent a infection from her digging her laybox so much

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey guys as you know I have 2 beardies and my Amber was a bit special when I got her and she has flourished since she was 6" long. Since it's been nice out my Amber wants out from the moment I turn her lights on and till I turn them off. She wants no time under her lights lately and if I don't take her out she will scratch for hours till I take her out.

I'm at a lost on what to do do I let her scratch and throw a temper tantrum? Or do I take her out when she wants out to avoid her scratching her enclosure and injuring herself?? It's to the point where I literally have to leave my room or she will scratch constantly and honestly it's infuriating. I believe she does it because she knows I don't want her to get injured like she did when she had her clutches.

Note: She had 2 abrasions on her palms that needed to be monitored to prevent a infection from her digging her laybox so much
How big is the tank?

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Is Amber the one that is about 9 months old?

-Brandon
No she is almost 4 yrs old now I got her at 6" she is the one who has been laying eggs.

I have her outside in the sun right now

Attachments

• IMG_20230625_112905.jpg
    IMG_20230625_112905.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20230625_112901.jpg
    IMG_20230625_112901.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 61

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She's beautiful and has nice fat stores on her tail and head. It's breeding season so she likely is just hormonal too.

Dragons, especially when they get older, become quite intelligent. If she really enjoys being outside of her tank then she will know that when she thrashes around in her tank you let her out.

Now, the flipside to that coin is... she's quite intelligent. She's not going to hurt herself to the point where it's going to cause a serious issue. So if you have the time to take her out, do so. If you don't, let her throw her temper tantrum. Older beardies are very similar to teenage kids lol.

-Brandon

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
She's beautiful and has nice fat stores on her tail and head. It's breeding season so she likely is just hormonal too.

Dragons, especially when they get older, become quite intelligent. If she really enjoys being outside of her tank then she will know that when she thrashes around in her tank you let her out.

Now, the flipside to that coin is... she's quite intelligent. She's not going to hurt herself to the point where it's going to cause a serious issue. So if you have the time to take her out, do so. If you don't, let her throw her temper tantrum. Older beardies are very similar to teenage kids lol.

-Brandon
Yes they are 😁 oddly enough my Chubbs only wants out when she spots Amber and/or will sit and bob in her enclosure. I only worry about Amber not getting the proper UVB when she's outside of her enclosure (indoors)

I plan on getting out once the weather is nicer so she will probably throw a temper tantrum but I won't be home to take her out immediately lol.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If you want to be able to leave her outside for periods of time you could get a ferret nation cage. Just cover the trays so they don't get to hot from the sun (they are black plastic) the bars are close enough to keep them in and most other critters out. You can buy them with 1,2, or 3 levels. If you were to decide to use this as an option, try to set it so part of the cage is in the shade, or use towels to cover part of it. Give them a way to get out of the direct sunlight.
But as long as you are cautious with your setup you can leave them outside for hours at a time. My guys love it.
P.S. ignore the poop in Zens level he did as i was headed out to take the pic and ran off. I swear it was on purpose!!!!!! Lol 😆

Attachments

• 20230625_090939.jpg
    20230625_090939.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 66

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
This behavior hurts our hearts more than their bodies. I am getting stronger. I only take Rocky out 5 out of the 6 times he asks and I MEAN IT! LOL It's really, really hard. We just have to toughen up. If I stay inthe room, he will beg but go sit in the corner, at times he will even hang from the ceiling do a flip but eventually go bask or sulk in the corner. Once you realize that nothing is wrong with them, it gets easier...so they say. YOu see I am not there yet but I am trying.
Last night, Rocky walked around, looked back before he jumped because I usually grab him. He walked along the edge 3 times and watched me. I closed my eyes and he still didnt jump. WHen I realized that he wanted me to get him, I realized that he really has my wrapped around his fingers, my feelings were hurt, LOL
I waited him out- he stepped on my papers, walked over to me, walked across MY FACE where I was laying down (I still played asleep) then eventually laid down. They just want, what they want. I couldn't believe it! If you read my posts, you would know this sounds utterly ridiculous but it was truly an ah ha moment for me!

Be strong, don't be a ME!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom