Swollen ankle - fall damage or gout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp852

Good evening,

I'm worried about my little lady, she's 8 months old, skinny female which for past few months has been more on lethargic side. She doesn't want to eat much, only really a little bit sometimes - that why she grow a bit slower than usual, I already discussed it with breeder which told me to keep offering her food, he doesn't exactly know why she switched to semi brumation as she's too young. Her UVB and Temps are on point I believe, and I offer her dubias and other food daily by "semi-force" feeding (I try to open her mouth with said insect and see if she'll start to eat).
For now I'm just waiting for summer to stimulate her to "wake up" on actual sun.

However after introduction; my problem is, today I discovered a little swell on her left pair of legs (left front and back) near ankles not elbows. Also thing to note is that this morning she fallen of her background all the way from top. I guess she landed on her left side thus that swelling from impact. Her back leg is swollen visibly and front one is just a little bit.

Thing is, should I by worried about it? Or could it be gout?

She can walk almost normally, i mean you can see its a little bit uncomfortable for her but she walk on her own, climb on her own, but wouldn't eat at all after few tries i guess because of pain or stress.
Tomorrow I'm planning on visiting a vet just to be sure but I'm still worried.

Also, do you have any ideas about her winter semi shutdown? I thought about giving her B Complex. Or I should let her to her thing as long as she doesn't loss weight? Thanks
107231-9866601116.jpg
107231-6996458010.jpg

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
What are your lights for heat and UVB? How do you measure and control the temps?

She has poor appetite. Gout is primarily caused by excess protein in the diet. From that standpoint gout doesn't make sense. Hydration and kidney function are also factors in gout

You need a vet. An 8 month old should be eating a lot, active, hungry. Is this an exotic reptile vet with experience with beardies? I'm guessing they will do an x-ray to see if there is injury. The x-ray can help the vet see the bone density. A metabolic blood panel and CBC will help assess organ functions, calcium/phosphorus ratio, and signs of infection. If you have a recent poop bring the poop with the vet. Keep poop in the fridge in a plastic ziptop bag until you can make it into the vet.

Sharp852

Original Poster
DorgEndo":2uikraxp said:
What are your lights for heat and UVB? How do you measure and control the temps?

She has poor appetite. Gout is primarily caused by excess protein in the diet. From that standpoint gout doesn't make sense. Hydration and kidney function are also factors in gout

You need a vet. An 8 month old should be eating a lot, active, hungry. Is this an exotic reptile vet with experience with beardies? I'm guessing they will do an x-ray to see if there is injury. The x-ray can help the vet see the bone density. A metabolic blood panel and CBC will help assess organ functions, calcium/phosphorus ratio, and signs of infection. If you have a recent poop bring the poop with the vet. Keep poop in the fridge in a plastic ziptop bag until you can make it into the vet.

Her UVB is Arcadia Pro T5 6% at distance of 20cm, alongside 28w halogen bulb. I measure temps with infrared thermometer and control them with thermostat, which is set at 28c on cold side. I believe and hope there isn't any problem with her setup but there is probably always improve something.

You are saving that protein wouldn't be problem as she has poop appetite. Thats good point, didn't think about gout possibility this way. But I'm still worried about her kidneys just in case. Already ordered supplements for kidney support from Bug-de-lite.

Yeah, we've got and appointment for a vet today, will see how it goes. It's experienced reptile vet with good history all around, also from local breeders. I would hope he will tell me her legs are alright and it's just swollen from impact and will go away in coming days. Also regarding her appetite, already discussed it with breeders that there is probably not even any problem with her, just coincidence with her assuming it's better for her to slot/shutdown. Will see from exam. I hope he at least gives her maybe a B complex for appetite and energy. He already saved one my "post-hibernation anorexia" male, which almost couldn't even drink on his on and after few shots of B complex was like a juvenile.

Also regarding poo, when her poor appetite started, I already send them fecal samples for parasite test, and she was okay, sk I doubt it's because of of, but anyway I want to do a new fecal exam as soon as she empty herself.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Sharp852":cz1hu8mf said:
Her UVB is Arcadia Pro T5 6% at distance of 20cm, alongside 28w halogen bulb. I measure temps with infrared thermometer and control them with thermostat, which is set at 28c on cold side. I believe and hope there isn't any problem with her setup but there is probably always improve something.
Lighting should upgrade to the 12% Arcadia.

The 6% is for sun/shade species. The UV index for the 6% is 4.5 at about 12 inches directly below the bulb, if there is a mesh screen between the UV will be even lower.

The 12% at 15" and 20" distance gives a UV index of 6.5 to 3.8 respectively. UV index range of 4.0-6.0 for basking is what bearded dragon needs. Arcadia is one of the best options, I think other people on this forum would agree. Switch to a 12%. If you can lower the light so she is at minimum 12" under the light for the 4.5 UV.

Between higher UVB and maybe some supplements from the vet I hope her appetite improves. My girl was once a young dragon who refused to eat. Not the same situation because she had a high parasite load which needed multiple treatments. I got her at 6 months old and it took 3 months of work to get her eating regularly and independently. It is hard dealing with poor appetite. Keep doing what you have to at home, be more stubborn than a refusing to eat dragon. You can share any test results you get here too :)

Sharp852

Original Poster
DorgEndo":a3tm6824 said:
Sharp852":a3tm6824 said:
Lighting should upgrade to the 12% Arcadia.

The 6% is for sun/shade species. The UV index for the 6% is 4.5 at about 12 inches directly below the bulb, if there is a mesh screen between the UV will be even lower.

The 12% at 15" and 20" distance gives a UV index of 6.5 to 3.8 respectively. UV index range of 4.0-6.0 for basking is what bearded dragon needs. Arcadia is one of the best options, I think other people on this forum would agree. Switch to a 12%. If you can lower the light so she is at minimum 12" under the light for the 4.5 UV.

Between higher UVB and maybe some supplements from the vet I hope her appetite improves. My girl was once a young dragon who refused to eat. Not the same situation because she had a high parasite load which needed multiple treatments. I got her at 6 months old and it took 3 months of work to get her eating regularly and independently. It is hard dealing with poor appetite. Keep doing what you have to at home, be more stubborn than a refusing to eat dragon. You can share any test results you get here too :)

Hello,

Regarding *% of UVB, I would argue that 6% could be used on "12%" spieces like beardies. I was told its all about intensity and balancing distance based on said intensity.
All of my tanks are set up to by at exactly 20cm/8in distance - if they really lean towards the light it's about 17cm - based on Mrs. Baines UVI diagram alongside graph from LightYourReptiles. (Will post pictures down at the end)
Anyway, as I said, I could be wrong, so I will double check my setup because you could be right.
I already ordered Solarmeter 6.5R, and currently waiting for arrival so I cannot wait for my "professional" measuring! :D

Anyway, now for the serious stuff, she was checked by her vet, who based on x-ray said that there is really no serious problem like gout or anything else, just swollen area from impact and landing. He gave her meds which name I don't remember, they should help her to ease the swelling little faster (5 doses into mout)

Regarding her appetite and slowdown, today I'm giving them fecal samples for parasites, just to be sure, and also with no sign of anything health related, like impaction etc., he gave her one-time nutrient shot alongside 3 doses of B12 which have to be injected, so I hope she will be really hungry soon to eat on her own...

Also, good to hear that a someone was in situation like me and successfully got out of it. Great news. Good mindset tip to be more stubborn than her, as it's pretty depressing to think if I am really helping her or more like making it harder for her.

107231-6362616033.jpg
107231-5745821204.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Ben!

How is your girl doing, is her ankle looking better yet? Just be sure she can't skydive off of
anything!
As long as the distance on that Arcadia tube bulb, then it should be fine. I am glad to hear
that you ordered a Solarmeter, they are very helpful.
She is a great looking dragon, nice color!
Be sure you are getting enough oral fluids into her also, to help with her kidneys.

Tracie

Sharp852

Original Poster
Drache613":34ni06sr said:
Hello Ben!

How is your girl doing, is her ankle looking better yet? Just be sure she can't skydive off of
anything!
As long as the distance on that Arcadia tube bulb, then it should be fine. I am glad to hear
that you ordered a Solarmeter, they are very helpful.
She is a great looking dragon, nice color!
Be sure you are getting enough oral fluids into her also, to help with her kidneys.

Tracie

Hi,

Thanks for asking, she seems a bit more aware thanks to B12, but swelling doesn't seem to be smaller, it surely isn't worse, but vet said it can take around 7 day to ease, so I have to be patient.
Well, I'm a bit worried about her since she seems to like heights more since the fall, brave girl. :D But most of the time she is either basking or on cool side/hide - that's one con of my backgrounds, I cannot do anything against skydiving lol.
Yeah, distances should have be correct, but I still insisted on buying one for double checking distance and lamp age.
Regarding oral fluids, she's getting insectivore diet via syringe to act like nutrition alongside hydration.
Will pass to her your compliment. There is her photo few day prior her fall.
107231-4307186450.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom