Sudden brumation?

jlinson24

Beardie name(s)
Lizzy
Hey all. First time beardie owner here. I’ve had my 2 year old female for a couple of weeks now. Yesterday I had her out and she was super active and happy (running around with her new Halloween costume). I fed her some crickets as it was time and put her back in her enclosure. Well she immediately went into this position and I just got home and she has not moved.

I pet the top of her head and back and she opened her eyes and lifted her head up and then went right back to sleeping.

I am very familiar with brumating as I’ve read up on it quite a bit, but it’s interesting that she is not hiding under her usual sleeping spot.

Should I be worried?
IMG_2532.jpeg
IMG_2533.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey all. First time beardie owner here. I’ve had my 2 year old female for a couple of weeks now. Yesterday I had her out and she was super active and happy (running around with her new Halloween costume). I fed her some crickets as it was time and put her back in her enclosure. Well she immediately went into this position and I just got home and she has not moved.

I pet the top of her head and back and she opened her eyes and lifted her head up and then went right back to sleeping.

I am very familiar with brumating as I’ve read up on it quite a bit, but it’s interesting that she is not hiding under her usual sleeping spot.

Should I be worried? View attachment 84620 View attachment 84621
Are you using a colored bulb in the tank ? The hide looks too small -- please go over all your lighting brand and bulbs used - surface basking temps and how your taking them

jlinson24

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lizzy
Are you using a colored bulb in the tank ? The hide looks too small -- please go over all your lighting brand and bulbs used - surface basking temps and how your taking them
No I am not using a colored bulb. All temps are good. And yes I do need a bigger hide, it’s on my list of things but I wanted to invest in the better lighting first. She still sleeps in her hide, her tail just sticks out when she does. This is just such an awkward position for her to be in and idk if I should try and put her under her hide?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No I am not using a colored bulb. All temps are good. And yes I do need a bigger hide, it’s on my list of things but I wanted to invest in the better lighting first. She still sleeps in her hide, her tail just sticks out when she does. This is just such an awkward position for her to be in and idk if I should try and put her under her hide?
No she looks comfortable where she's at - sounds good about the lighting- what are you getting / replacing for lighting?

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo

Should I be worried? View attachment 84620 View attachment 84621
Are you completely certain that’s not a coloured bulb? It looks pretty green from the picture, the colour-free bulb KarrieRee was asking about is white/a light shade of yellow. What UVB fixture do you use? Make sure it’s not a coil bulb — they don’t provide near enough UV exposure safe for a reptile.

If your fixture is an Arcadia or Reptisun tube light that covers 1/2 to 3/4 of your enclosure, your good to go 👍 and your basking temperatures are what — they should be within the 105-110 degree range, measured with a digital probe thermometer as opposed to a temperature gun or stick-on.

If you have all of these three things down, I’d hardly worry. My bearded dragon is currently acting the same as yours, so long as she doesn’t lose weight she’ll be completely fine. Remember to wake her every 2 weeks to check her weight and offer water.

jlinson24

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lizzy
No she looks comfortable where she's at - sounds good about the lighting- what are you getting / replacing for lighting?
Are you completely certain that’s not a coloured bulb? It looks pretty green from the picture, the colour-free bulb KarrieRee was asking about is white/a light shade of yellow. What UVB fixture do you use? Make sure it’s not a coil bulb — they don’t provide near enough UV exposure safe for a reptile.

If your fixture is an Arcadia or Reptisun tube light that covers 1/2 to 3/4 of your enclosure, your good to go 👍 and your basking temperatures are what — they should be within the 105-110 degree range, measured with a digital probe thermometer as opposed to a temperature gun or stick-on.

If you have all of these three things down, I’d hardly worry. My bearded dragon is currently acting the same as yours, so long as she doesn’t lose weight she’ll be completely fine. Remember to wake her every 2 weeks to check her weight and offer water.
I’ve got the arcadia prot5 and then just a standard basking bulb. I’m pretty sure the green was coming from my TV because 100% it’s not a colored bulb. So basking temp is 107, and where she currently is laying is about 77 currently.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Adults generally like it a bit cooler 95 to 100. That may be why she isn't basking.

jlinson24

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lizzy
Adults generally like it a bit cooler 95 to 100. That may be why she isn't basking.
Good to know. She doesn’t typically hangout high enough to be in the 107 though, so my guess is she probably is getting close to that. And I have no problems with her basking as well

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
I’ve got the arcadia prot5 and then just a standard basking bulb. I’m pretty sure the green was coming from my TV because 100% it’s not a colored bulb. So basking temp is 107, and where she currently is laying is about 77 currently.
Absolutely perfect, she’ll be fine

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom