stunted growth-healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frog

Sub-Adult Member
I've been thinking, and maybe part of the reason Bengal is only about 12-13 inches long is because, since i wasnt very educated when i first got him, he may have suffered from a little stunted growth? (if you havent read my other posts, just ignore this) he did live in his 20 gallon longer than he should have before i got him his 4x2x2. could that have been part of the problem? and not using supplements very often? i still think it is partially his genes, because i only got better over time, and that means he should have grown faster than he did.

my other thing i was worrying about is well, two things. 1.- he is going into brumation, and (he is about 2 years old) since he is small, will he make it through as long as i keep him hydrated?

and also, if he did suffer (i hate using that word..) from stunted growth, is it still possible for him to live a long, healthy life? i feel awful and feel like it is my fault he is small and just hope he can live healthy..

SunshineLollipop

Hatchling Member
Hey, I've got a 2 yr old female that I bought when she was about 6mths old. She was the size of a 3mth old when I got her from the pet store. She brumated this winter just gone (in Oz). She is still smaller than my 2&1/2 yr old female who's reached her full size, but u can see her growing all the time, so if not by the end of this summer, I expect her to be fully grown within the next year or 2. So don't despair, 'cause even if yours remains smaller, if there's been no signs of MBD by now, you should have one healthy beautiful beardie :D

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
thanks :D h defiently doesnt have MBD, and he appears very healthy. he has been brumating for about a week now, under his blankie i gave him to sleep on :roll: :love5: maybe i can get him a new bed for Christmas. (just thinking out loud :p hehe)

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
I understand how you feel. My female was taken care of improperly, partly the last owner's fault, partly mine before I discovered this site. She is barely 14 inches. She has always been fine during brumation. She lives a very happy, healthy life. Unfortunately, and I hate saying this, she and possibly your dragon, will probably not live as long as they would have otherwise. It hurts me to know this, but at least she can be happy while I have her, and who knows, maybe we can defy the odds. :)

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
Yes, my dragon has recently had stunted growth for an unknown reason. He is way too small. He's 5 mos and a week old and like 13 or 14 inches. I don't have any idea what I'm doing wrong!! :cry:

LJean

Extreme Poster
haleygirl272":a2440 said:
Yes, my dragon has recently had stunted growth for an unknown reason. He is way too small. He's 5 mos and a week old and like 13 or 14 inches. I don't have any idea what I'm doing wrong!! :cry:

That is not too small for a 5 month old dragon.

My Oscar is the biggest dragon either, due to improper care in the beginning. He is healthy and doing well!

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
thank you. that is reassuring. im not looking for how long he can live as long as he lives healthy and happy as long as he does live. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Sara,

How long have you had him for now? AT 2 years old, yes 12-13 inches is small.
However, it has sometimes happened to where they can still grow just a little bit given proper lighting & feeding.
If you want to give the best chance for any more growth, use a Megaray or a T-rex active UV mercury vapor bulb, either one. They will blast him with UVB emissions which should help promote any other growth out of him that could genetically be possible based on the circumstances.
Also, maybe switch to some liquid calcium several times per week to ensure that he is absorbing his calcium properly. Those 2 things combined, could help to promote & encourage any further growth.
While it can be said that the first year of life is the most important for developmental growth, & sets them up for a better chance at a long life, there are always exceptions, hon. Being small doesn't necessarily mean that he will die early or have any health problems.
As long as you are providing what he needs now, he has a good chance at a good lifespan barring any genetic problems such as disease, etc. Though that can happen to larger dragons too, as disease does not discriminate to small or large dragons.
The main thing is while he is small, if he has ample fat storage on the base of the tail & his other fat pads are good, is well hydrated, & doesn't have any problems with parasites there is no reason why he can't brumate.

Tracie

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for posting Tracie. I just purchased my first Megaray a few weeks ago although he hasn't used it much since he has been sleeping for about two weeks now. On Beautiful Dragons store there is a vitamin B complex i plan on getting and i will get the liquid calcium as well. although i wont get to use it much for awhile. He has been sleeping well all day every day for almost two weeks and i bathe him every Sunday to keep him hydrated.

With luck he might just grow a bit more. Hopefully he can still grow when he wakes up. I dont feel comfortable feeding him as he will sleep with food in his belly.

Sara

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Sara,

Great you already have the Megaray so you are a step ahead of me. :mrgreen:
Ah, so he is already sleeping a little bit then that is ok. Did his fatstores look good then?
You are right, feeding him now is not a good idea unless he is in & out a little then a bit of food here & there is ok. You can go ahead & get the liquid calcium & the liquid vitamins just to have so you will have them when he comes out.
Keep doing what you are doing, & hopefully he will grow a little bit more for you. Do you have a picture of him that I can see?

Tracie

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Im pretty sure his fatstores are okay. hes not underweight to my best knowledge. Unfortunately, as of now i dont have a picture. i have sme on my cell phone but im not sure how to put them on our Mac. can i post pictures without a photobucket account?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixxie
Top Bottom