Star gazing??

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
I am a brand new beardie owner. We just got it today, he is young, maybe the size of my hand. Since getting it all set up, he sits on the driftwood right under the light and will star straight up at the light. Everything I read says that's star gazing, which means a respiratory infection or some other illness.? Is that the case here or is he just being an oddball.? He also will leap from his driftwood onto the glass behind it, almost like he's jumping for a bug he sees but there isn't anything there.

Also, any suggestions on some solid veggies and fruits to give would be great. I have what google told me but I just want to make sure. I want to give my noodle the best care possible.

Attachments

• 20220828_213010.jpg
    20220828_213010.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 99

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am a brand new beardie owner. We just got it today, he is young, maybe the size of my hand. Since getting it all set up, he sits on the driftwood right under the light and will star straight up at the light. Everything I read says that's star gazing, which means a respiratory infection or some other illness.? Is that the case here or is he just being an oddball.? He also will leap from his driftwood onto the glass behind it, almost like he's jumping for a bug he sees but there isn't anything there.

Also, any suggestions on some solid veggies and fruits to give would be great. I have what google told me but I just want to make sure. I want to give my noodle the best care possible.
No that is not star gazing- it's associated w/ adenoviruse- please make sure your using a digital probe thermometer- to get accurate basking temps 105-110- a long tube uvb like zoo med fixture/ hood or a Arcadia pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb these are for 40 glon tanks - the zoo med will come w/ a 5.0 bulb perfect for a 20 gallon tank- please no coils- and you want a solid clear bright white basking bulb - no colored bulbs no off white or yellowish bulbs

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
No that is not star gazing- it's associated w/ adenoviruse- please make sure your using a digital probe thermometer- to get accurate basking temps 105-110- a long tube uvb like zoo med fixture/ hood or a Arcadia pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb these are for 40 glon tanks - the zoo med will come w/ a 5.0 bulb perfect for a 20 gallon tank- please no coils- and you want a solid clear bright white basking bulb - no colored bulbs no off white or yellowish bulbs
If he isn't star gazing, what is he doing.? Just basking.?

No colored bulbs, no coils, the guy at the pet store said our 160 watt powersun uv bulb is perfect. It's a big, white light. We have a hygrometer and a thermometer, the little round ones with needles in them. We have a thermometer that can take ambient Temps and the basking side is reading right between 97 and 100, the middle is about 87 to 90 and the cool side is reading about 81.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If he isn't star gazing, what is he doing.? Just basking.?

No colored bulbs, no coils, the guy at the pet store said our 160 watt powersun uv bulb is perfect. It's a big, white light. We have a hygrometer and a thermometer, the little round ones with needles in them. We have a thermometer that can take ambient Temps and the basking side is reading right between 97 and 100, the middle is about 87 to 90 and the cool side is reading about 81.
The power sun is good - what size tank and is it on the screen? Please get 2 digital probe thermometers- you want surface basking temps-- not ambient - the probes are the best for accurate temps-- you also want a digital probe hygrometer as well the combo ones are unreliable

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
The power sun is good - what size tank and is it on the screen? Please get 2 digital probe thermometers- you want surface basking temps-- not ambient - the probes are the best for accurate temps-- you also want a digital probe hygrometer as well the combo ones are unreliable
It's a 40 gallon tank and they sit on the screen. We were told to get an infared probe from home depot and it'll give a more definitive answer on the temperature. He's been chilling right under the light and if we move it, he'll move to get up under it.

Attachments

• 166173967377279184448709564131.jpg
    166173967377279184448709564131.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 67

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
I think he’s just enjoying the heat, my boys do that all the time! Enjoy your adventure with the little dude!
Thanks a lot. It was the first result when I looked up why he was looking straight up and I was like, Holy crap surely not. He definitely seems like he's enjoying the heat. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am glad to see that you are so observant, with his mannerisms, etc. He does look to just be
enjoying the heat & UVB. The Powersun is a pretty good bulb & does get pretty warm & the UVB
isn't bad either.
The tank looks nice also. How close is it to him?
I am sure he will do just fine with you. Is he eating well for you?

Tracie

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hello,

I am glad to see that you are so observant, with his mannerisms, etc. He does look to just be
enjoying the heat & UVB. The Powersun is a pretty good bulb & does get pretty warm & the UVB
isn't bad either.
The tank looks nice also. How close is it to him?
I am sure he will do just fine with you. Is he eating well for you?

Tracie
He seems to be eating well. He gobbled up several crickets (maybe 10+) and ate two or three mealworms. He wasn't interested in the leafy greens or tomato we put out, or even his water. The lights sit on top of the screened lid, so maybe like two feet from him.? As far as veggies, we currently have some cucumber, the small red tomatoes, some lettuce (not romaine, can't remember what kind) and broccoli and corn, (both frozen) and some canned green beans. Can he eat any of them, if he will.?

Once we turned his light off for the night and turned on the CHE, he was not happy. He kept climbing up the glass for a solid 15 minutes. We took him out amd he felt cool (the thermometer was reading right at 80 and the digital thermometer we used was reading low 80's as well) but he calmed down but started right back up once we put him back in. He is shedding so I think that's why cause he finally flopped in a spot in the corner and went to sleep. It was a pretty loud flop, it sounded like he hit the side of the tank or something and when I checked on him, it looked like he wasn't breathing and his chest wasn't moving my heart stopped because I thought he died.😩😩 I've discovered when he sleeps, he takes one or two real deep breathes and then either takes a few super super shallow breaths or almost holds his breath for a second or two, then repeats.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He seems to be eating well. He gobbled up several crickets (maybe 10+) and ate two or three mealworms. He wasn't interested in the leafy greens or tomato we put out, or even his water. The lights sit on top of the screened lid, so maybe like two feet from him.? As far as veggies, we currently have some cucumber, the small red tomatoes, some lettuce (not romaine, can't remember what kind) and broccoli and corn, (both frozen) and some canned green beans. Can he eat any of them, if he will.?

Once we turned his light off for the night and turned on the CHE, he was not happy. He kept climbing up the glass for a solid 15 minutes. We took him out amd he felt cool (the thermometer was reading right at 80 and the digital thermometer we used was reading low 80's as well) but he calmed down but started right back up once we put him back in. He is shedding so I think that's why cause he finally flopped in a spot in the corner and went to sleep. It was a pretty loud flop, it sounded like he hit the side of the tank or something and when I checked on him, it looked like he wasn't breathing and his chest wasn't moving my heart stopped because I thought he died.😩😩 I've discovered when he sleeps, he takes one or two real deep breathes and then either takes a few super super shallow breaths or almost holds his breath for a second or two, then repeats.
He needs basking temps of 105-110 taken w/a digital probe thermometer- if none of this is corrected he will not survive- the basking temps of 80 is way too low - that is for the cool side of the tank - and if the Powersun is sitting on the screen 24" is too far away you need to lower it or raise the basking decor piece and I would take the screen off - the screen is blocking 30% of the UVB rays and he needs the UVB- I would recommend getting another long tube 24" Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a 24" Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb - that is going to make up for the UVB he will not get from the PowerSun - it will need to be replaced in 6 months for UVB - the heat will still be there but the UVB gets weak - please get this corrected so he stays eating --- he will quit w/ out proper temps and UVB and please no more corn tomatos broccoli or cucumber -- he needs greens like collard turnip mustard or kale here is a nutrition website ignore the kale info its a good staple feeder
Nutrition Content
Please no more meal worms they are too harsh on the babies stomachs - crickets are good but recommended dubia roaches - cleaner feeder easier to keep and they dont stink- I can post websites for insects and worms - your better off getting this on line its cheaper in the long run -- not sure about the breathing please keep an eye on him --- but get his lighting fixed as soon as possible

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If you gave a background picture in your habitat, that is wht he is jumping into the glass. Every single time i have used them i have seen that behavior.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom