Somebody in Chile? And what about lamps from the US?

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Chances are small, but: Is there anybody in Chile?
I always have difficulties ordering the UV-A bulb. The only one I can get here is the "Zoomed ReptiBasking 100W", I always have to order it from a reptile pet shop (the usual pet shops here are tiny "tiendas" and only for cat and dog food/supplies, we don't have something large like PetSmart). Usually they have one lamp in stock, and then charge high shipping costs (converted: 15 USD the lamp, 10 USD the shipping).

I started always having 2 spare ones because it is extremely important for me that my dragon has proper light. As soon as one burns out, I'm looking to buying one whenever the online reptile shop restocks. But if somebody knows some better resources, I'd be happy.

Also: Are the lamps internationally the same? We have here 220 V like in Europe. I might travel to the US in the near future, can I bring bulbs back?
(I'm not asking for advice regarding importing, customs regulations... I'm asking for technical specifications. If I buy some bulbs, not fixtures, in the US, will I be able to use them here? The same should be the case for US vs. Europe, can they use the same bulbs?)

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Chances are small, but: Is there anybody in Chile?
I always have difficulties ordering the UV-A bulb. The only one I can get here is the "Zoomed ReptiBasking 100W", I always have to order it from a reptile pet shop (the usual pet shops here are tiny "tiendas" and only for cat and dog food/supplies, we don't have something large like PetSmart). Usually they have one lamp in stock, and then charge high shipping costs (converted: 15 USD the lamp, 10 USD the shipping).

I started always having 2 spare ones because it is extremely important for me that my dragon has proper light. As soon as one burns out, I'm looking to buying one whenever the online reptile shop restocks. But if somebody knows some better resources, I'd be happy.

Also: Are the lamps internationally the same? We have here 220 V like in Europe. I might travel to the US in the near future, can I bring bulbs back?
(I'm not asking for advice regarding importing, customs regulations... I'm asking for technical specifications. If I buy some bulbs, not fixtures, in the US, will I be able to use them here? The same should be the case for US vs. Europe, can they use the same bulbs?)
CooperDragon can help on this I believe
@CooperDragon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
For UV-A/heat, you don't really need a reptile specific bulb. I just use a flood light bulb that I get at a hardware store. I'm not sure how the Chilean regulations are regarding sale of halogen and incandescent bulbs so it may or may not be easy to find these there. I know they are getting harder to find in the US with the push toward LED (these don't produce enough heat to be helpful in this case). Look for things like a PAR38 or BR30 or BR40 incandescent or halogen bulb. Those should work well. Different brands tend to output different amounts of heat so you may need to test a few until you get one that provides the right temperatures for your setup. It's a good idea to keep doing what you've done and buy a few to have spares on hand. Since you are using 220v power, you'll need to stick with bulbs designed for that. There are step up/down converters that would allow you to use the 110v bulbs, but they are relatively expensive.

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Taco
@CooperDragon
Thank you!
I have a halogen bulb in addition (setup is: two bulbs, and the tube light), I can get here exactly one type but none of those you mjention.

If in doubt, I would rather bring them from Europe (I often travel intercontinental).
There are step up/down converters that would allow you to use the 110v bulbs, but they are relatively expensive.
No, that's not an option, also because electronics here is even more expensive, and often not as reliable.
Just an example: Computer stuff rather twice the price for half the income level...
Or quality: Had bought four automatic timers, two work, the other ones always run off...

Since you are using 220V power, you'll need to stick with bulbs designed for that.
The thing is: What I buy looks exactly like the one from the US, same package, everything in English.
I order exactly that one from that store here in Chile:
Is this made for 22V, and the ones sold at PetSmart for 110?

Last edited:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It should say what the wattage and voltage of the bulb is stamped on near the base somewhere, or sometimes across the top of the bulb. They are likely selling a regional variant that is 220v. European sites will carry what you need, but I'm not sure if the shipping will be prohibitively expensive or not.

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Taco
It should say what the wattage and voltage of the bulb is stamped on near the base somewhere, or sometimes across the top of the bulb. They are likely selling a regional variant that is 220v. European sites will carry what you need, but I'm not sure if the shipping will be prohibitively expensive or not.
Shipping from Europe is too expensive even if I could find a store that sells internationally, and I also wouldn't dare based on how packages often arrive. But: I regularly travel to Europe as I'm from Germany plus often travel for business. I can, for example, order some from a German store to my family's address, and when I come by during the next holidays I take them with me. Also better than having them sending the lamps to me.
(Added that to my "when travel to country X, bring this"-list. ;) )

I just checked a lamp:
It is stamped 240 V. I would then bet if somebody from the US compares, it says 110V.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom