Sick or Brumation?

Kelseyensley

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ramses
Hello, my beardie Ramses has been hiding and sleeping a lot more. She hasn’t really been eating for weeks, she started slowing down at the beginning of the month. She currently sleeps in her hide rotating between the cold and hot side. She sometimes will come out to bask and eat greens (I will then give her water by a dropper). She even wanted out of the cage for a little while and then after putting her back in, she basked for about an hour before going into the hide (hot side). She will maybe eat one or two worms maybe once or twice a week (I am adjusting to her new feeding schedule since she’s older now). She hasn’t pooped in a while too, so is this a sign of brumation or is she getting sick? She went through brumation last year, but she didn’t start until mid October/early November. She is 18 almost 19 months old, if that helps. Basking temp is 95-100/105 (12 inches from rock), UV light is mounted inside the cage about 14inches from the log she sits on (I use the Arcadia Dragon 14% UV-B + D3 24W (see attached photo,you can see Ramses, but she is in the hide on the hot side currently). I don’t have a good photo of her full setup at the moment, but I can post it on here tomorrow if needed to.

Attachments

• IMG_7447.jpeg
    IMG_7447.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 64

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello, my beardie Ramses has been hiding and sleeping a lot more. She hasn’t really been eating for weeks, she started slowing down at the beginning of the month. She currently sleeps in her hide rotating between the cold and hot side. She sometimes will come out to bask and eat greens (I will then give her water by a dropper). She even wanted out of the cage for a little while and then after putting her back in, she basked for about an hour before going into the hide (hot side). She will maybe eat one or two worms maybe once or twice a week (I am adjusting to her new feeding schedule since she’s older now). She hasn’t pooped in a while too, so is this a sign of brumation or is she getting sick? She went through brumation last year, but she didn’t start until mid October/early November. She is 18 almost 19 months old, if that helps. Basking temp is 95-100/105 (12 inches from rock), UV light is mounted inside the cage about 14inches from the log she sits on (I use the Arcadia Dragon 14% UV-B + D3 24W (see attached photo,you can see Ramses, but she is in the hide on the hot side currently). I don’t have a good photo of her full setup at the moment, but I can post it on here tomorrow if needed to.
When she basks under the UVB is she sitting directly under it on the rock or on the floor of the tank - a 14% bulb is really strong and recommended distance in the tank is 17-18 inches- how old is your UVB bulb? -- it does sound like she is slowing down - sometimes they will go into a semi brumation- meaning they will hide in their hide and sleep for a few weeks then come out bask maybe eat etc then return to the hide -- I have one that does this -

Kelseyensley

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ramses
When she basks under the UVB is she sitting directly under it on the rock or on the floor of the tank - a 14% bulb is really strong and recommended distance in the tank is 17-18 inches- how old is your UVB bulb? -- it does sound like she is slowing down - sometimes they will go into a semi brumation- meaning they will hide in their hide and sleep for a few weeks then come out bask maybe eat etc then return to the hide -- I have one that does this -
Yes, she sits directly under it. She sits on a log that I have in there. The UVB light is only a month old, just changed it last month. Should I remove the log? If I do that, she would be 17 inches away just by sitting on the floor under it.

She might be going through a semi brumation since that’s exactly what she is doing. She will hide and sleep for a few days to almost a week, then come out to bask and eat a little (that’s when I give her some water) and then she goes back in the hide for a few more days up to a week, then repeat. I’m guessing she’s starting early this year.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes, she sits directly under it. She sits on a log that I have in there. The UVB light is only a month old, just changed it last month. Should I remove the log? If I do that, she would be 17 inches away just by sitting on the floor under it.

She might be going through a semi brumation since that’s exactly what she is doing. She will hide and sleep for a few days to almost a week, then come out to bask and eat a little (that’s when I give her some water) and then she goes back in the hide for a few more days up to a week, then repeat. I’m guessing she’s starting early this year.
How many inches from the UVB to the floor? Get a measuring tape and measure- how long does she sit under the UVB ? It may be fine where it is as long as shes not sitting short periods and then moving away- or sitting off to the side of it- if its too strong she will do that -- it sounds like semi brumation - keep an eye on her and let her do what she needs to do - she will eventually poop they can go long periods of not pooping - as long as her basking temps are good she will be fine -

Kelseyensley

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ramses
How many inches from the UVB to the floor? Get a measuring tape and measure- how long does she sit under the UVB ? It may be fine where it is as long as shes not sitting short periods and then moving away- or sitting off to the side of it- if its too strong she will do that -- it sounds like semi brumation - keep an eye on her and let her do what she needs to do - she will eventually poop they can go long periods of not pooping - as long as her basking temps are good she will be fine -
Okay, I measured and my original measurements were wrong. From the highest point of the log to the UVB bulb is actually 17inches, not 14. Floor to UVB bulb is 21inches (roughly).

Her basking temp is at 99 currently. I am still learning on what temps work best for adult bearded dragons since I was use to her temps being 110 when she was still growing. Do you know best basking temps for 18/19 month old beardies (adult) or the recommendation for them?

I was assuming she was starting the brumation process, but I guess it's throwing me off since she started earlier than last year. And thank you. I’ve had her for over a year and she just loves to keep me on my toes with her behavior change lol.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Okay, I measured and my original measurements were wrong. From the highest point of the log to the UVB bulb is actually 17inches, not 14. Floor to UVB bulb is 21inches (roughly).

Her basking temp is at 99 currently. I am still learning on what temps work best for adult bearded dragons since I was use to her temps being 110 when she was still growing. Do you know best basking temps for 18/19 month old beardies (adult) or the recommendation for them?

I was assuming she was starting the brumation process, but I guess it's throwing me off since she started earlier than last year. And thank you. I’ve had her for over a year and she just loves to keep me on my toes with her behavior change lol.
Ok so your good on height for UVB --- older dragons 6 months and up like temps 95-100 that is surface basking temps - and those need to be taken w/a digital probe thermometer - let her do her thing-- she sounds like she may do the semi brumation thing this year but who knows she may go into a full brumation just dont let her sleep for over 3 months if she does go down for the full thing - and you want to check on her every couple of weeks like offering water and maybe getting a weight on her too so you can keep track of it and that shes not losing a lot of weight -

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom