Shedding Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennBeardy

Hey Folks! i have some questions about shedding.i have a beardie i got
a week ago and hes about 4 months old and i was wondering is there a specific
time they start to shed or is it just whenever? is it a snake shed if not what does
it look like? and does he act any different when he starts or just normal? if
anyone has any input it would be much appriciated thanks alot!!

BrownEyes87

Hatchling Member
BennBeardy":d4347 said:
Hey Folks! i have some questions about shedding.i have a beardie i got
a week ago and hes about 4 months old and i was wondering is there a specific
time they start to shed or is it just whenever? is it a snake shed if not what does
it look like? and does he act any different when he starts or just normal? if
anyone has any input it would be much appriciated thanks alot!!

Its a lot like a snake shedding, looks very similar too. It just means hes growing, let it happen on its own time, dont pull any off! Shouldnt act too diff...mayb a little annoyed but just spritz him with water / soak as usual and everything should go back to normal.

Mines just starting to shed around his head.

rvrgirl

Why not pull some of the big pieces off that are hanging? Will it hurt them?? Just wondering. New at this.

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Pulling the skin yourself is supposed to be bad for them. If you pull it, the scales underneath my not be quite ready and can make it sore for them. He may slow up on eating and be a little cranky. Sometimes a bath helps them shed better and can help with the crankiness. Mine on the other hand doesn't seem to care :lol: They also can shed different places on their body. It's not a complete piece like a snake. Usually, you just have chunks here and there left in the tank. They also are known to eat the skin so don't be freaked out. :D

mpal

I never heard of BDs eating their shed. That's interesting. I know when we had our leopard geckos, they ate their shed.

Our BD Spike is about 7 months old about 16 inches now. We got him at about 4 months and he was near 12 inches. Spike was eating and growing unbelievably so he was shedding quite a bit. Now in the past month his appetite has slowed down and his sheds.

If it helps, I noticed when spike sheds, he rubs/scratches himself a lot on his wood pieces. (or anything else he can scratch up against) His face especially when it's shedding. I find pieces of shed skin all over his tank and I just keep removing them. I usually give him more baths during a shed. It seems to work well for him. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom