Shedding and Weight Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarinGazelle

Hatchling Member
I came home today after being gone for 7 hours to find lots of skin flakes on my beardies basking log :), so i put him in his feeding tank real quick and got rid of the flakes. he still has some loose skin on his arms/legs, so i gave him a 10 minute bath. my question is, will he be able to get it off on his own(or will it just come off?)

and does he look underweight for 2 months?

DSC04393.jpg

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Yes he will get his shed off but bathing him will help but do not pull the skin off as this will hurt him! And he does look a little under weight! Can you tell me about his set up and what his diet is like?

GarinGazelle

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
How old is your dragon? 2 months
How long have you had your dragon? since about 5 pm wed.
How long is your dragon? 8 inches
What is the sex of your dragon? looks like a male.
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 29 gallon. or 30"x13"x13"
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? paper towels
Do you use UVB lights? ones being shipped tomorrow.
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? GE 100W soft white
What are the basking temps? 100-106 F
What is the cool side temp? 80-85
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? basking = digital, coolside = stick on(getting digitial soon)
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? ON the wood where he basks.
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? NEVER
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. crickets, red/green lettuce(trying to get something better), grapes, carrots(not a lot tho)
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? morning, sometimes afternoon or night(will be all three after i get 1000 cricks
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? yes
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? yes, will be 5x calcium, 2x vitamin
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr253/garincoleman/DSC04372-1.jpg and http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr253/garincoleman/DSC04373.jpg. you tell me. HE HASNT POOPED SINCE FRIDAY, SO IM A LITTLE WORRIED(but he has been getting more and more food recently(since saturday)
Do you bath your dragon? How often? right now, every day(since he's shedding). then every other day.
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? try to offer water, wont take it.
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? no
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? no

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
Shed feels itchy so he was probably rubbing himself on the basking log. If you want to help him shed use a soft toothbrush and gently rub him with it in the tub. The skin may not come right off using this technique but it does help and he will like it. Most beardies like a nice rub when they are shedding. You should still be giving him calcium until you get your bulb. If it is more than 70* outside you can try giving him some natural sunlight until you get your bulb. Since babies are jumpy you may want to sit outside with him for 15 - 20 min after eating in a wire cage if you have one and provide a hide for him to escape if he gets too hot. Whatever you do don't let him sit in the sun in a glass cage he will get too hot. Don't worry about how skinny he is, almost all babies are not fed enough by the petstores before you get them and they are growing so fast it is hard for them to be fat because they are using so much energy to grow. As soon as you get your supply of crix he will plump right up for you and you will wonder how he fits all those bugs in his little tummy. :roll: Sounds like you are off to a good start and have done some homework. :D

GarinGazelle

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks a lot for helping Vegaslizard.

i've taken him outside once so far, and ive been meaning to again, but i've been really busy. so i will tomorrow too.

dont have a wire cage, would a plastic tub work(not one of the huge ones used for roach breeding, but like the ones you use for dishwashing while camping lol)?

i know not to take him outside in a glasstank.

okay. like i said, ive only had him for a couple days so i doubted he was skinny cuz of me(yet i still felt guilty cuz i wasnt feeding him the right amount). but when i do get the cricks i'll let him gorge himself for the 3 meals.

could you answer my Q about the poop too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom