Separating adult dubia's from the colony?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sddragons

Juvie Member
So I took all my adults out of my colony a few weeks back to start a second colony. I had about 40 females and I left 10 males in with them and already have what looks like about a couple hundred babies in there. I just checked my first colony again and there seems to be a lot more new adults in there.
So my question is, should I keep taking the adults out and put them in with the others in the second colony?

patrickb

Juvie Member
Depends on your needs really. What you plan to do with that 2nd colony is what would dictate your actions. 40 adult females will be pumping out a healthy amount of nymphs already, so adding more adults to the mix would only increase the production. The original colony will still need adults in it to keep producing. If the second is just a backup (or I think you posted earlier about giving them to friends or something?) then those 40 in the 2nd colony should be fine for those needs. Those females will be pumping out about 800 nymphs or so a month right now, but since you removed them all from your main colony, the main colony technically is producing none at this moment. Those new adults will need a month or so after maturing before they start producing babies. Just something to keep in mind.

sddragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well I am just planning on feeding my 9 dragons and many babies to come with the 2 colonies. I just started a second colony so I wouldn't have so many in one tub. And the first colony still has so many large ones that will be adults very soon. So now the second colony has about 75 adult females and about 20 males.with a couple hundred babies running around. I think i will not pull any more adults out of the first colony and let them both just explode.

patrickb":2268d said:
Depends on your needs really. What you plan to do with that 2nd colony is what would dictate your actions. 40 adult females will be pumping out a healthy amount of nymphs already, so adding more adults to the mix would only increase the production. The original colony will still need adults in it to keep producing. If the second is just a backup (or I think you posted earlier about giving them to friends or something?) then those 40 in the 2nd colony should be fine for those needs. Those females will be pumping out about 800 nymphs or so a month right now, but since you removed them all from your main colony, the main colony technically is producing none at this moment. Those new adults will need a month or so after maturing before they start producing babies. Just something to keep in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom