Scared Baby Bearded Dragon

dajeffries

Original Poster
I got a baby bearded dragon on June 13th. He is now three months old. At the store that I got him at he was super friendly and let me hold him with no problem. After getting him home I let him be for a few days to get used to his environment. Now he is super skittish and jumpy. I have been putting my hand in the tank a lot to feed him or clean up and he does not seem to mind that. Every morning and evening I will just sit with my hand in his tank. It is just when it comes to touching him that he freaks out. At night he will sometimes let me pet his tail or feet. I have been reading a lot about this and it does not seem to uncommon but I am getting worries that he won't grow out of it. Any tips?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I got a baby bearded dragon on June 13th. He is now three months old. At the store that I got him at he was super friendly and let me hold him with no problem. After getting him home I let him be for a few days to get used to his environment. Now he is super skittish and jumpy. I have been putting my hand in the tank a lot to feed him or clean up and he does not seem to mind that. Every morning and evening I will just sit with my hand in his tank. It is just when it comes to touching him that he freaks out. At night he will sometimes let me pet his tail or feet. I have been reading a lot about this and it does not seem to uncommon but I am getting worries that he won't grow out of it. Any tips?
Takes time and your going in the right direction - make sure your using digital probe thermometers to get actual surface basking temps--and a good long tube uvb fixture-- No coils! If you need help w/ any of this please ask- No colored bulbs no off white or yellowish bulbs no daytime bulbs- you want a clear solid bright white basking bulb

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Just remember your a big scarey giant to him. He is brand new to the world and everything in the world is brand new to him. Have patience, be gentle, and be persistent. It takes months for them to bond with you, but once he does it's worth it.

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
One thing that may help is getting a front opening tank if you don’t have one or just buy a conversion kit. Mine is pretty active but that’s because I handled him from absolute day 1 which probably wasn’t the best idea but yk. Make sure you monitor his poops and maybe try to feed him with your hands or tongs.

Jjurovaty

Photo Comp Winner
I would try hand feeding..it builds and requires trust. Once you figure out what treats he really enjoys that will help. The more time you spend the more trust you build. It's hard when they're really little. If you wait til he's tired and try to get closer. Alot of people suggest putting a small piece of material with your scent in the tank. I know that helps with dogs and cats, I have not experienced it with beardies but I don't see how it can hurt.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom