Safest wood? (More in comments)

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Hey guys I wanna raise my beardies half logs so they are closer and more level with the other perches in their enclosure so they can get better UVB.

I was thinking of cutting a 2×4 and placing and/or screwing it into the bottom of their half logs but I'm unsure if the lumber I have is safe.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If it's US dimensional lumber, it's likely going to be made of pine, which is not going to be a suitable wood for the enclosure.

-Brandon

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If it's US dimensional lumber, it's likely going to be made of pine, which is not going to be a suitable wood for the enclosure.

-Brandon
Agreed any variety of evergreen is toxic unless sealed. Cedar is the worst.
On a side note it's toxic for dogs also.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster

-Brandon
@xp29 I heard oak was perfectly safe for beardies could I pick up a 2 × 4 from home Depot or Lowe's and sterilize it? I only need maybe 12 inches at most I know I have pine left over that I used for stands for both my beardies and ball python.

Though from what I was told it's not suitable to put inside any of my enclosure in my house.

This pic is just my wooden stands so they are off the floor and the cold air

Attachments

• IMG_20230624_111550.jpg
    IMG_20230624_111550.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 64

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oak won't come in dimensional lumber at home depot. You can buy a board of oak but you're not going to find anything thick; it's going to be expensive. You can buy a brick for a dollar just an aisle over and it should allow you to achieve the same goal.

-Brandon

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Oak won't come in dimensional lumber at home depot. You can buy a board of oak but you're not going to find anything thick; it's going to be expensive. You can buy a brick for a dollar just an aisle over and it should allow you to achieve the same goal.

-Brandon
Hmm true I just worry about the bricks just in case they start to chip easily

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
As far as i know, any of the hardwoods are safe except maybe walnut. I used birch in mine.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ive used bricks in my enclosures for decades now. Never have had an issue with them :)

-Brandon
@xp29 I will see if I can get some wood that's safe and not so expensive otherwise bricks will be my go too.

I just need to make sure I accommodate both my beardies and my ball python and make sure whatever I use is safe for all of them.

Carol123

Beardie name(s)
Rexy and Dum Dum
I’m going to make a much bigger enclosure for one of my bearded dragons I want to make it4x3x4 . I’ve heard pine wood I’d bad but if I coat it 3/4 times with sealant won’t that make it safe

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom