Rescued Beardie with Coccidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

cleepritch

Original Poster
Hello,
We rescued our 7 month old bearded dragon last month and within a week discovered he had Coccidia and pinworms. He did a round of antibiotics, anti parasite medication, and got some iv fluids.
However, he is still having very smelling poops. What worries me most is that the poop is soft and in a pile but comes with a ton of liquid. The other morning I woke up to a terrible smell and he was just sitting in a huge puddle. Am I feeding him too many greens? He has a handful of red lettuce twice a day with water sprinkled on top because I worry he is dehydrated from the parasite.
Otherwise, he is active and eating very well. We will be changing the substrate to paper towels today when we clean his enclosure. And I’ve taken everything porous out. I think I need to change his under tank lighting to a t10. Any tips on how to mount that bulb under the screen?
Maybe that will help him clear this bug?
Any help is appreciated.
5DE4597D-5E59-492E-B3D6-1601524B01BA.jpeg
C82B57FA-6216-4BCC-9DA9-8786404BDAFD.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello,
We rescued our 7 month old bearded dragon last month and within a week discovered he had Coccidia and pinworms. He did a round of antibiotics, anti parasite medication, and got some iv fluids.
However, he is still having very smelling poops. What worries me most is that the poop is soft and in a pile but comes with a ton of liquid. The other morning I woke up to a terrible smell and he was just sitting in a huge puddle. Am I feeding him too many greens? He has a handful of red lettuce twice a day with water sprinkled on top because I worry he is dehydrated from the parasite.
Otherwise, he is active and eating very well. We will be changing the substrate to paper towels today when we clean his enclosure. And I’ve taken everything porous out. I think I need to change his under tank lighting to a t10. Any tips on how to mount that bulb under the screen?
Maybe that will help him clear this bug?
Any help is appreciated. View attachment 69155 View attachment 69154
Hello welcome- please change out the substrate to a textured NON adhesive shelf liner- cut to the size of the tank-- my guess is the parasite is still in the tank - you can use paper towels those are good for now-- the uvb is what brand and bulb T 5 or a T 8- distance and placement is crucial for good efffects- surface basking temps need to be 95-100 so you need a digital probe thermometer- 2 of them one one the basking side one on the cool side- please get some more decor along w/ a hide for him please-- PetSmart has great decor - please be sanitizing his tank w/ some F 10 it's a vet disinfectant and will kill the parasite - use it every time he poops - you can find it on line Google it F10 disinfectant- good basking temps and good uvb are going to help him keep that parasite in check - I would take another fecal in and have it tested No enemas please

cleepritch

Original Poster
Hello welcome- please change out the substrate to a textured NON adhesive shelf liner- cut to the size of the tank-- my guess is the parasite is still in the tank - you can use paper towels those are good for now-- the uvb is what brand and bulb T 5 or a T 8- distance and placement is crucial for good efffects- surface basking temps need to be 95-100 so you need a digital probe thermometer- 2 of them one one the basking side one on the cool side- please get some more decor along w/ a hide for him please-- PetSmart has great decor - please be sanitizing his tank w/ some F 10 it's a vet disinfectant and will kill the parasite - use it every time he poops - you can find it on line Google it F10 disinfectant- good basking temps and good uvb are going to help him keep that parasite in check - I would take another fecal in and have it tested No enemas please

cleepritch

Original Poster
Thank you for your reply. I took his hides out because he kept pooping on them and I wanted to be sure they were clean before returning them. I’ve been using Wipe Out and I have the F10 but I’m nervous about using it because it is so strong and I have other pets in the house. I cannot lift the tank outside to clean it. Is the F10 safe to use indoors?

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
Thank you for your reply. I took his hides out because he kept pooping on them and I wanted to be sure they were clean before returning them. I’ve been using Wipe Out and I have the F10 but I’m nervous about using it because it is so strong and I have other pets in the house. I cannot lift the tank outside to clean it. Is the F10 safe to use indoors?
F10 is very safe. It is the same ingredient as Wipe Out plus an added one (baguinide or something I think). It is veterinary grade and can be used around animals the same as Wipe Out.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I use F 10 alot -- when deep cleaning I take everything the decor including my tiles set on my island w/ dish towels underneath spray the tiles let sit for 10 minutes then I wipe them down w/ a wet dish towel / cloth-- meanwhile I am busy spraying and washing down the tank - then wiping down the inside after 10 min or so all the decor is sprayed down as well I rinse those in the sink since I have decor that is made out of resin and easy to clean - it doesnt take long for the stuff to dry in the tank w/ the lights - Blaze and Hiccup are put in the their car carriers while I am cleaning these tanks - I have 2 of them - you can smell the F 10 -- its a concentrate so it lasts quite a while I have had no issues w/ it at all and I have been using it for years -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom