Releasing a rehabbed snake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasubi77

Sub-Adult Member
You may remember a few months ago I was asking about how to take care of a water snake that I had rescued from a glue trap.

Well, he's healthy and growing and I'm sure he's well enough to live on his own. But it's winter here, so I was wondering if I should keep him until the weather warms up in the spring. This week, temps are rather nice with low in the 40's and highs in the 60's, but that's atypical of this time of year and next week it could drop to the 20's or even teens for lows.

Thanks!

PS: And do you think if I released him (whether it be now or later) and threw a baby corn in the tank, would my hubby know the difference? (He's scared of snakes and gives the snake cage a wide berth...)
LOL :mrgreen: :wink:

PastorAaron

Juvie Member
I would wait to give him the best chance possible. If he freezes then all the work is for nothing.
God BLess,
Aaron
PS Go for it on the corn snake!!!

Nasubi77

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
PastorAaron":5ae75 said:
I would wait to give him the best chance possible. If he freezes then all the work is for nothing.
God BLess,
Aaron
PS Go for it on the corn snake!!!

That's what my instinct told me... Now I gotta go find another 3 months worth of fishies. I'm down to the tiny ones, so I have to give him 5 or 6 at a time!

Nasubi77

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Funny, I had a dream last night that I went in the snake's room (BTW, his name is Moses). He was HUGE, and was pushing the screen off the top of his tank. I thought, Well, I better go ahead and release him or he'll be loose in the house, so I took him out in the woods. He came right back to the house. Then, I swung him around and hurled him into the woods :| and he came flying right back :shock: .
I just couldn't get rid of the bugger! I tried over and over but he was like a boomerang!

:D

Trogdor80

Hatchling Member
I wouldn't release one this time of year unless you are supposed to have at LEAST a week of unseasonably warm weather, just to give it plenty of time to get a burrow before next freeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom