Python Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

cetara04

http://united-states-association-of-reptile-keepers.rallycongress.com/2705/tell-us-senate-to-stop-python-ban/

Write a Letter to Congress : 7,996 Letters Sent So Far
"Please oppose S373 aka 'The Python Ban'. It would by pass the accepted USFWS process for amending the Lacey Act and legislatively add 9 species of boas and pythons to the Injurious Wildlife list. If passed as written it would threaten a viable US industry producing high quality captive bred reptiles for hobbyists, research, zoos, TV & film, museums and fashion industry. The USGS report being used as justification for these draconian measures has been characterized by independent scientists as "unscientific" and "not suitable as the basis for legislative or regulatory policies". Three independant studies have been published in 2010 that contradict the USGS report. I appreciate the difficulties Burmese Pythons may pose to South Florida, but it is a problem that is endemic only to South Florida and should be dealt with at the state level. S373 encompasses far more than Burmese pythons and will hurt my family and business. It does not address the underlying problems proponents claim. S. 373 makes no provisions for the disposition of over 2 million snakes already in captivity in the US. It will create a situation where as many as a million Americans are in possession of Injurious Wildlife and potentially subject to felony prosecution under the Lacey Act. This bill will be bad for our state, bad for jobs and sets terrible precedent by legislating science for the sake of political expedience. Please oppose S373."

If anyone is interested, sign this petition to stop the ban on pythons! I have two of my own and do not want anything to happen to them!

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
One of the many things I think is stupid about this, is the fact that many states don't ban much more dangerous animals. In my state, you can legally own tigers and bears. And there's apparently enough of them here to warrant their own rescue facility.

LaPrice

Hatchling Member
i'm not a huge fan of pythons or constrictors but banning them is not a solution to florida's problem as you have said. I do think however that buying and owning them should be monitored, like only responsible people who have experience and the time to care for such a large snake. That could prevent stupid people from getting something they cant take care of and deciding to release it into the wild where (unless its in florida of off the southern coasts) it may die from the climate. Though the illegal pt trade has played a part in floridas problem, either way a ban on them isn't the solution.

everhood13

Juvie Member
You want to hear something crazy? I went into a local pet shop here in Amarillo, and they had an anaconda for sale. It was huge! The snakes that need a permit are listed on their cage. This big guy had no permit requirements or anything. Anyone could come in and buy this behemoth of a snake. It floored me. I'm all for regulations on what you can own, permits, something. An anaconda can take down some big animals. I also agree that the US has no business banning pythons. As soon as I'm off work, I will sign the petition. Our browser won't let us through.

ReptileGuardian

Hatchling Member
The breeder that my fiance and I adopt our reptiles from, pride themselves on their exquisite variety of python ball morphs and they have TONS of snakes. Like Green Anaconda and like 5 other 10ft long or more boas/pythons. Here in Washington it is illegal to purchase/own a Water Monitor but my breeder and others sell Nile Monitors and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom