Pregnancy signs?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The eggs should be fine set up in a shoebox sized container with damp vermiculite and put on the cool side of the enclosure or a part of your house that stays between 78-85F if possible. A little lower OR higher is O.K.
I know you're not looking at it from a monetary standpoint but they would be worth an average of $200 each, maybe slightly more.

Aleeeexli

Original Poster
The eggs should be fine set up in a shoebox sized container with damp vermiculite and put on the cool side of the enclosure or a part of your house that stays between 78-85F if possible. A little lower OR higher is O.K.
I know you're not looking at it from a monetary standpoint but they would be worth an average of $200 each, maybe slightly more.
Could I also use sand-clay mix instead of vermiculite? I know it is not perfect but the vermiculite arrives next week together with the incubator. I already checked the few pet stores I have near me, they do not offer these things. I will call another pet store a bit further away tomorrow to see if they have vermiculite, so I might be able to switch it tomorrow!

I am not sure if they woud be worth that much around me, we have a few reputable breeders in my country which currently have many baby dragons. I am a bit worried that there aren't that many people here wanting to buy rankin's dragons, so I would end up with many of them. Especially if I would incubate all eggs every clutch. But the thought of discarding them breaks my heart and I would love to hatch them!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What is the dark stuff i her lay box that she laid them in, that would mix well with the sand. Sand with clay might be too stiff. What country are you in ? Are many people selling Rankin's dragons ?

Aleeeexli

Original Poster
What is the dark stuff i her lay box that she laid them in, that would mix well with the sand. Sand with clay might be too stiff. What country are you in ? Are many people selling Rankin's dragons ?
That is also a sand/clay mix (Lucky Reptile Desert Bedding). Is there anything to make it less stiff (like mixing in more sand or soil)?

I'd rather not mention my country, but it is middle/eastern europe. I think there are mainly 3 breeders that sell rankin's dragons, although two of them are more on the smaller side. But I follow them since years (as it was my dream to have dragons since I was little) and they always have a few baby Rankin's dragons on offer, they never seem to be sold out.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh well then that Lucky reptile bedding should be fine. If you really don't want to raise + sell them it's up to you.

Aleeeexli

Original Poster
Perfect, then I'll try it with the current bedding I have and see if I can switch to vermiculite tomorrow!

I absolutely do want to raise them! Honestly if I had the time, money and space, I'd probably keep them all myself. I am just a little worried that it will be impossible to sell them and I currently can't keep all of them without them being stuck in an enclosure too small for all of them (once their juveniles/adults). But I will definitely try it and see how easy it is to sell them and then decide what to do for future clutches.

Thanks again AHBD, you were such a great help through all of this! I was definitely a bit too worried, as this is the first time she was gravid and I had no prior experience.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome. :) I can understand that you have mixed emotions and in the " can I really handle this " with the actual moment upon you. Here in the states you might have people waiting to get them but it sounds like there's not as much demand where you are.
So to set up the hatching box just put about 1.5-2 inches of the mix, dampen it well until it's ;like cookie dough where you can get it to hold it's shape if you make a ball of it but not soggy. Once you have that layer, use your finger/thumb to make a egg sized hole about 1/4 inch deep to set each egg in. Drill holes in the lid and check the eggs every few days to wipe condensation from the inside of the lid, you don't want it dripping on the eggs.

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
My friend's has sold me eggs since she didn't have enough time for them and have found homes for them pretty easily. As long as they are fertile and healthy and make sure they stay in good condition they should be fine!:)

Fordispreme

Hi there! I actually have a rankins dragon and not a bearded dragon but I would be thankful for any help I can get!

My dragon (recently turned 1) started exhibiting some signs of pregnancy. She always was a bit larger than my other two rankins dragons, despite the same age, activity and food. But in the last few weeks she gained almost 20 grams (from 56 grams to 74 grams). Her belly got bigger but the tail and back look healthy, no signs of overweight. And in the last few days she started constantly walking around in the tank and digging at different places, which she never did before.

But there are some things contradicting pregnancy. I read that their appetite decreases shortly before they lay eggs, but she still loves to eat and jumps out of the tank as soon as she spotted me taking out the insects. It feels as if I am starving her haha because she eats the insects in seconds while the other dragons take way longer.

And also the temperatures in my tank are currently a little high (28 to 33 degrees C) and I have a hard time reducing them as we have a heat wave in my country and I can‘t bring the room temperatures below 30 degrees C. I know digging behavior can also mean that the temperatures are too hot but this is already going on for a few weeks and she only started digging during the last few days. And she still spends most of her time on the warmer side of the tank and could go to the cooler side if it is too hot for her.

Last but not least, I went to the vet for an x ray. Apparently there was a miscommunication and the reptile vet had an important meeting, so someone else took a look at my dragon. The radiologists also weren‘t there yet so the person looking at my dragon hat to do and interpret the x ray herself without any experience in reptiles and radiology. She said the bearde doesn‘t look overweight but has a big belly. But she couldn‘t see any eggs in the x ray. I will post the x rays once I figure out how! (EDIT: I think I added pictures of the x rays, please let me know if you can‘t see them!)

If you have any idea what it could be besides pregnancy and what I can do to help her, please let me know! I am worried that she isn‘t comfortable or that there is something else going on!
The first step if you have any doubts about pregnancy is to consult a reptile veterinarian for professional advice. However, like a woman, your dragon may experience physical and behavioral changes during pregnancy. In case of possible temperature problems, it is important to provide her with access to a cool place. I was recently learning about abortion. I wonder how this works in reptiles and dragons. I will be glad for any information. I really want to know this.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The first step if you have any doubts about pregnancy is to consult a reptile veterinarian for professional advice. However, like a woman, your dragon may experience physical and behavioral changes during pregnancy. In case of possible temperature problems, it is important to provide her with access to a cool place. I was recently learning about abortion. I wonder how this works in reptiles and dragons. I will be glad for any information. I really want to know this.
In case you didn't read the entire 3 pages the dragon did lay the eggs. Their vet didn't even realize the eggs were developed + ready to lay. Vets often don't know much about egg laying. So the O.P did well with the laybox and the dragon laid 11 eggs. O.P what ended up happening with the eggs if you don't mind me asking ?

Fordispreme

In case you didn't read the entire 3 pages the dragon did lay the eggs. Their vet didn't even realize the eggs were developed + ready to lay. Vets often don't know much about egg laying. So the O.P did well with the laybox and the dragon laid 11 eggs. O.P what ended up happening with the eggs if you don't mind me asking ?
Yeah! Regarding the x-ray, I understand that it was difficult to get clear answers. You may soon have the opportunity to consult with a reptile veterinarian to get more accurate and informative results. I was recently learning about abortion, found https://edubirdie.com/examples/abortion/ for this. I want to read about it. Regarding the eggs, I want to know how the hatching process went and what happened to the little dragons. I look forward to exciting updates on your new dragon offspring!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom