Powersun UV 160 watt keeps breaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
Hello,
I have a 1 year old bearded dragon that’s in a 75 gallon fish tank. I’ve always used the zoomed powersun uv 160 watt heating bulb since his tank is pretty tall and he’s done just fine with it. My issue is that the bulb keeps breaking at the base where it screws into the dome. This is my 3rd time needing to buy a replacement because it broke. Are there any other heat lamp recommendations that would be ok for such a tall tank. These are the tank dimensions:
  • Volume​

75 GAL
  • Length​

49 IN
  • Height​

21.25 IN
  • Width​

19.5 IN

• Thank you!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a bummer. I'd probably look for a different brand at this point. Are you still looking to use a MVB? Or would you be open to using a combo T5 for UVB and halogen/incandescent for heat? If you want to use a MVB, I've had great luck with Arcadia bulbs. If you can get the power converter and use the UK version (lightyourreptiles carries these), they are incredible in terms of output and longevity.

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have an Arcadia T5 14% uv strip light on the tank. Would I be fine if I bought the exo terra 100w intense basking spot lamp? I have a deep dome lamp fixture from zoo med.

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
That's a bummer. I'd probably look for a different brand at this point. Are you still looking to use a MVB? Or would you be open to using a combo T5 for UVB and halogen/incandescent for heat? If you want to use a MVB, I've had great luck with Arcadia bulbs. If you can get the power converter and use the UK version (lightyourreptiles carries these), they are incredible in terms of output and longev
I’m currently in petsmart looking, there’s so many options. It’s overwhelming.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you already have the Arcadia T5 14% in place, that should produce plenty of UVB. I would just set up a basking light to go next to it. You may need to try a few different options to find what works best in your enclosure at first though. That's all based on the surface temp readings you get around the enclosure. Fortunately, the basic incandescent/halogen bulbs you can get at the hardware store are quite a bit cheaper than a MVB.

I've had good luck recently with Westinghouse Incandescent R40 bulbs I picked up at Ace hardware. Westinghouse 125 W R40 Heat Lamp Incandescent Light Bulb Medium Base Clear 2 pk - Ace Hardware There is a 250w version available too, if that doesn't provide enough heat. I've also had good luck with GE PAR38 halogen flood lights of various wattages. These are quite a bit heavier, but work pretty well. I've been playing around with these photography bulbs a bit too. They are VERY bright and produce a ton of heat, so best suited for large spaces. They seem to be dragon approved so far though https://www.amazon.com/Bulbrite-Q250CL-EDT-120-Volt-250-Watt/dp/B0030AYKGC

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
If you already have the Arcadia T5 14% in place, that should produce plenty of UVB. I would just set up a basking light to go next to it. You may need to try a few different options to find what works best in your enclosure at first though. That's all based on the surface temp readings you get around the enclosure. Fortunately, the basic incandescent/halogen bulbs you can get at the hardware store are quite a bit cheaper than a MVB.

I've had good luck recently with Westinghouse Incandescent R40 bulbs I picked up at Ace hardware. Westinghouse 125 W R40 Heat Lamp Incandescent Light Bulb Medium Base Clear 2 pk - Ace Hardware There is a 250w version available too, if that doesn't provide enough heat. I've also had good luck with GE PAR38 halogen flood lights of various wattages. These are quite a bit heavier, but work pretty well. I've been playing around with these photography bulbs a bit too. They are VERY bright and produce a ton of heat, so best suited for large spaces. They seem to be dragon approved so far though https://www.amazon.com/Bulbrite-Q250CL-EDT-120-Volt-250-Watt/dp/B0030AYKGC
I ended up talking to an employee there at petsmart who also has bearded dragons and she recommended the Arcadia 100w halogen heat lamp. I’ve had it in there now and the temp in his basking spot is nice and hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom