Post-surgery recovery

Morri

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zoom
I was reading your post and I'm so glad to see your girl is improving! I went through this with my beardie almost a year ago. I gotta say though your girls incision looks so clean - the vet you went to did an amazing job- my girls vets were good too but gosh did they make an ugly incision - but she still healed up mostly without complications so I am 100% sure your girl Zoom will be the same :)
Thank you so much!

I am sorry you had to go through this stress, but I am glad your girl has recovered well. It's so goof to hear!

After eating 3 big juicy locusts on Thursday, Zoom didn't want anything yesterday. However, today she had 5 locusts so far and the tiniest peace of kale. We really need to work on those veggies. She goes through stages with them and the current stage is HECK NO! I am not expecting full appetite straight away, but it seems too be gradually increasing.

She has some stress lines on her, but I think she is now awake enough to notice that her enclosure is bare and boring (vet advised to keep it stripped for another week or so). She gets annoyed with paper towels as they move around and get under her feet.

No poop since Wednesday, but she hasn't eaten all that much, so I am not worried just yet.

Before the whole ordeal I was planning on getting her a new enclosure, but I don't know how long to leave it now not to stress her out further with the move while she's still a bit fragile. What do you all think?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Feel free to post more pictures of your girl! I hope she continues to improve for you.
It sounds like she is eating pretty well right now also. I'm sure it will take awhile for her appetite to
come back fully. It is challenging to get them to eat the greens & veggies but continue to encourage her to eat them.
There doesn't seem to be any good time to move them to a new tank but maybe you should wait awhile longer to be sure she gets back to normal right now.

Let us know how things are going.
Tracie

Morri

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zoom
Hello Everyone,

I am very sorry for not updating sooner, we went from a poorly reptile to poorly humans around here and things were a bit crazy!

Zoom is doing great, regained her appetite tenfold and is even EXTRA keen on her salads right now. If the bowl is empty she starts behaving like a dog and trying to push it towards the glass to show me 🤣 Even more surprising, she actually learned to drink too!
In fact, she is eating a bit too well and we have been so pleased that she's finally eating, so she managed to get a lot of extra treats out of us with the "please give me food, I am starving" eyes. That needs to stop now as she got a bit too chunky.

She's not super pleased with life at the moment as she is shedding and itchy, however unlike during the previous sheds, she did not lose her appetite!

Her stitches have not dissolved or shed yet, I don't really know how long it's supposed to take, but we have the final post-op checkup in a 2 weeks, so I will ask the vet everything.

I attached some pics. Please excuse the sheddy face. Also, anyone else's beardie prefer their salads after it's dried up a bit and has slight crunch to it?

I also purchased a new enclosure for her and I am setting it up, which is quite frustrating. As I mentioned, her previous one was a hand me down, so the setup was already worked out. Now for the first time I need to figure it own on my own, I am not in a hurry to get her there until everything is perfect, so I just set it up and I am running countless tests now.

Thank you again for your help and kindness, I think you are all the main reason I still have some sanity left after this ordeal!

How have you all been? <3

Attachments

• IMG_9875.jpeg
    IMG_9875.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9792.jpeg
    IMG_9792.jpeg
    251.2 KB · Views: 33

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She is super cute & a mess! LOL I am happy to hear she is doing so much better now. That is
wonderful news.
Be sure to keep us updated on her progress.

Tracie

Morri

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zoom
Thank you!
Yes, she is not particularly good at the whole shedding business, lol.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, you can't really blame her! Skin falling off all over her is most likely itchy & probably very
annoying, too!

Tracie

Morri

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zoom
Hello,

Well, you can't really blame her! Skin falling off all over her is most likely itchy & probably very
annoying, too!

Tracie
Oh, absolutely! I just meant she is super-duper patchy and it comes off in awkward ways. For the past couple of days she looked like a faux-axolotl with strips of shed on both sides of her face and was dragging one sock behind her.

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I'm glad she is doing better. And yes a lot of them like the "crunchy" greens 🙂

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great she did shed off her stitches, too! Bless her, it sounds like she is doing quite a
bit better now.

Tracie💞

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom