Possibly a resp. infection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenix19

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me.

Phoenix is almost 1 yr old now and has been doing really well until the past few weeks. First she stopped eating, which I tackled with warm baths and syringes of apple sauce until she had a good poop and regained her appetite. She was back to normal, pooping every day and eating her normal amount.

Then maybe 5 days ago, she stopped eating again, and yesterday I noticed her eye was weepy. This morning her eye was weepy still and she had some clear, watery mucous in her nostril ( both on the left side only). It comes out as a small bubble, but not often. She doesn't appear to be having a hard time breathing, no wheezing, coughing or open mouth.

I have increased her basking temp to 110-112 today, and am feeding her water though a dropper. How long should I wait to take her to the vet? Do they go downhill really fast that I'd be better off taking her tonight? What else can I do to make her better?

thanks for any help anyone has to offer!

phoenix19

Original Poster
here's a couple pics to show what it looks like....
you can see her nostril is swollen:
IMGA0305.jpg

her runny eye:
IMGA0301.jpg

she's also about to shed around her eyes and mouth if that makes a difference.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I don't know much about that. I would pm tracie (drache613) or Rosebud and see what they say as they've had more experience with those sort of things.

I just want to bump this up for you.

phoenix19

Original Poster
Thanks for the bump beardie parents, and I took your advice and PMed Tracie.... hopefully she can help! :)

MissT

BD.org Addict
I would take her to the vet as soon as you can - if it is a resp infection, the mucous etc are slightly later symptoms of it. Loss of appetite can also be a sign that they are under the weather. A simple x-ray will be able to tell if her lung funtion is compromised at all. When I suspected it in my female, Tracie also suggested that I bump her night time temps up to around 70 + and also pointed me in the direction of bee pollen which help boosts the immune system. I am by no means an expert but just thought I would pass on the fab info I got from this site (and keep up the post-bumping at the same time)!

Hope Phoenix is feeling much better soon! Keep us posted!

T

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, I would go ahead & take Phoenix to the vet tomorrow or whenever you can get an appointment. For now, just keep the temps up a little overnight to help keep his immune system up right now. The bee pollen is great to help with immune system too, so you can try that. Try not to medicate unless you absolutely have to.
If you are not hearing any coughing, clicking or wheezing then it might not be a respiratory infection, maybe just the start of one.
I did notice though that she is going to shed so that can cause the swollen look to the nostrils & could be responsible for some of the moisture on the nostrils, too. If her eyes are going to shed, the dry skin could be irritating the eyelid causing them to water slightly.
Just some other things to consider as well.
Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

phoenix19

Original Poster
Thank you both MissT and Tracie! I haven't been able to find a 24 hour vet with reptile experience for tonight but will start calling the offices that are closed now first thing in the morning. Hopefully I can get an appointment before work... if not asap after. Let's hope it's just related to shedding though. She seems fine otherwise, except she's not interested in eating at all.

I'll let you know how she is tomorrow and what the vet says. Thanks again! :love5:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope you are able to find a vet & can take her in today. Please let us know how things go. I hope Phoenix is doing well today. They sometimes don't eat as much when they are going to shed, either.
If not, try: http://www.herpvetconnection.com

Tracie

phoenix19

Original Poster
So far today she seems better :D Her eye hasn't watered, and no more bubbles from her nose. I also think her nostril seems less swollen than yesterday, so maybe just raising her temp has stopped it before it started? I kept the temp in the room up overnight and she still isn't having a hard time breathing so I am still just watching her for now. Hopefully she will get hungry again and I'll be able to relax!
Thanks for the help, and I will have to check that site you posted for a vet as I seem to be stricking out with all the ones I know of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brohelphimlol
Top Bottom