possible new snake owner, where should i start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

momohobobobo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
myokeetee-1.jpg

i found this female on fauna from ridge top reptiles. Here's the link to their official site http://www.ridgetopreptiles.com/RTR/cornsnakes.php. So far i like her the best out of any i've seen. Is she i true okeetee you think? and have you heard of this breeder? when the time comes i might consider them. They seem to have a lot of experience

Floof

Juvie Member
I've never heard of that breeder before. As for the snake, I wouldn't call it an Okeetee at all, unless it had the (documented) 100% locality Okeetee lineage to back it up... Which is highly doubtful based on it having heterozygous traits (tells you they've been outcrossed with non-Okeetee locale lines, since those morphs didn't originate from the locality). It looks like it will get a pretty orange background, but it doesn't have the borders to back it up... IMO, anyway.

If you fall in love and decide that snake, or another not-so-Okeetee "Okeetee," don't be concerned about whether it'll turn out to be a "good" Okeetee, just go in knowing it might turn out to be "just" a Normal.

Just a hint... Lee Abbott has arguably some of the best selectively bred Okeetees out there. He has his own, widely recognized line even--"Abbott's" Okeetees. As for locality okeetees, there's a breeder (Frankly Corns & Chondros, I think) who I know is a good person to work with and has some excellent locality Okees.

When you go to research a breeder, a great place to start is the Board of Inquiry on Faunaclassifieds.com. People post reviews for breeders/dealers they've dealt with, both good and bad experiences. It's saved countless buyers and sellers alike from dealing with "Bad Guys."

momohobobobo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Finally got my cornsnake :D i got it from a local reptile shop. They said its an okeetee, but im sure its not. But i came to the conclusion that i really dont care too much about certain morphs and all that. I figured that im not planning on breeding them so all i really need to look for is a snake that i think is perfect for me. This one stood out instantly so i knew it was the one. I personally think its a beautiful snake, but i know a lot of breeders see it as a mutt :lol:
newcsnake.jpg

Floof

Juvie Member
Congrats!! I agree she doesn't look "okeetee," but normals can be just as, if not even more, gorgeous than any morph. Nothing beats the incredible variation in classic corns. Besides, the important part is that you like her! And there's nothing better than seeing a snake and knowing it's "the one." My girl was a love at first sight situation, too, only online instead of in person... Of the 15-20 gorgeous, pinkish Aneries that were on the page, and all the fantastic morphs on this world-renowned breeder's website, I saw the one dark gray "ugly duckling" of the group and knew right then and there she was the one. I don't regret it one bit, and I'm sure you won't, either, even if she doesn't have any "special" colors or genetics. :)

Oh, how neat--our "Corniversaries" are in the same week!! I got my first corn (also my first snake) 3 years ago on Nov. 27th. :mrgreen:

Trogdor80

Hatchling Member
Pythons and Boas like a ball usually live 30-40 years and can live up to 50. That is nearly a lifetime commitment if you are buying a young snake.

Colubrids like corn/milk/rat snakes generally live less than 20.

Monkey

Juvie Member
Im glad floff got you in time... big cudos for your big posts :D
I will be getting a corn soon and my boa is at my friends house till I move.
The corn will be in a display tank with plenty of hides, and my boa is straight up in a plastic tub.
Research has shown that snakes are usually more comfortable and less stress out in smaller spaces "hidden" than in nice big enclosures...
Kinda sad for us, cause I do like to have them on display but what is better for the animal.
I bougt my boa as an adult she's been much handle and is a very docile animal. But both of them is also on frozen/thaw as well.
Floff is right and spot on on everything that she said...
Good luck with your adorable corn :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom