Poop problems! Please advise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drakodragon8

Original Poster
Hello, for the the past almost week, my dragon Drako has been having unformed, mushy poop. It seems to also have some undigested bsfl as well as other bug parts. Please see photo. She is 5 months old, 16.5 inches, 274g. She is in a 40 gallon breeder with a 22 inch 10.0 reptisun uvb that is mounted on the inside of her tank. Her basking temps range from 100 to 105, the cool side of her tank is around 76ish. She eats at least one bowl of salad a day (collard, turnip with some veggies) then is fed bugs twice a day (roaches, crickets, bsfl, silk). I have her 1st vet appointment scheduled for 2 weeks but I am concerned that her poop is like this due to parasites and wanted to hear others opinions. Should I treat for parasites or just wait, should I give probiotics in the mean time? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated! Pics of her latest poop and one of the majestic beast herself!

Attachments

• 20220121_103042.jpg
    20220121_103042.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 20220117_105733.jpg
    20220117_105733.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 79

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello, for the the past almost week, my dragon Drako has been having unformed, mushy poop. It seems to also have some undigested bsfl as well as other bug parts. Please see photo. She is 5 months old, 16.5 inches, 274g. She is in a 40 gallon breeder with a 22 inch 10.0 reptisun uvb that is mounted on the inside of her tank. Her basking temps range from 100 to 105, the cool side of her tank is around 76ish. She eats at least one bowl of salad a day (collard, turnip with some veggies) then is fed bugs twice a day (roaches, crickets, bsfl, silk). I have her 1st vet appointment scheduled for 2 weeks but I am concerned that her poop is like this due to parasites and wanted to hear others opinions. Should I treat for parasites or just wait, should I give probiotics in the mean time? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated! Pics of her latest poop and one of the majestic beast herself!
Common issue w/ the BSFL -- how many are you feeding at a time? If fed too many at a time they tend to swallow them whole and not chew them up -- limit the amount your feeding and put them on the salads that may slow him down on the eating- just keep adding a few at a time see how that goes -- if you are going to the vet take a fecal w/ you NO ENEMAS -- they can end in disaster - get a fecal the day before or the day of

Drakodragon8

Original Poster
Common issue w/ the BSFL -- how many are you feeding at a time? If fed too many at a time they tend to swallow them whole and not chew them up -- limit the amount your feeding and put them on the salads that may slow him down on the eating- just keep adding a few at a time see how that goes -- if you are going to the vet take a fecal w/ you NO ENEMAS -- they can end in disaster - get a fecal the day before or the day of
She really doesn't eat many of the bsfl as they are not her favorite, maybe 5 to 8 large bsfl. Would this be causing her to have not solid poop? What do you think about starting her on a probiotic, do you think that could help a digestive issue or do you think parasites? Also her poop doesn't have an abnormal stink to it, I know that can be a sign of parasites but that they can also be asymptomatic too. Her appointment is set up for a well check and a fecal test but will she be ok for the next two weeks? Thanks so much

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
She really doesn't eat many of the bsfl as they are not her favorite, maybe 5 to 8 large bsfl. Would this be causing her to have not solid poop? What do you think about starting her on a probiotic, do you think that could help a digestive issue or do you think parasites? Also her poop doesn't have an abnormal stink to it, I know that can be a sign of parasites but that they can also be asymptomatic too. Her appointment is set up for a well check and a fecal test but will she be ok for the next two weeks? Thanks so much
you can take a fecal in before her appt to find out if there is parasites going on -- your basking temps are they surface basking temps? undigested food is usually a sign of basking temps not being hot enough - get your probe therm and get a basking surface temp see what it is - those are the most accurate the probiotic is a question for Tracie or AHBD to answer
@AHBD
@Drache613

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
This is likely just a result of her eating a huge and varied diet that includes a lot of salad. :) She looks very healthy and while she MAY have parasites, many dragons do, there isn't any indication that she's being affected negatively at this point. So, no need to be worried, the consistency of the poo is well within the range of normal for a dragon that eats a good amount of greens/veg.

Drakodragon8

Original Poster
you can take a fecal in before her appt to find out if there is parasites going on -- your basking temps are they surface basking temps? undigested food is usually a sign of basking temps not being hot enough - get your probe therm and get a basking surface temp see what it is - those are the most accurate the probiotic is a question for Tracie or AHBD to answer
@AHBD
@Drache613
I take the surface temps with a temp gun, I'll put the probe on the surface to see if the gun is accurate. Thanks!

Drakodragon8

Original Poster
This is likely just a result of her eating a huge and varied diet that includes a lot of salad. :) She looks very healthy and while she MAY have parasites, many dragons do, there isn't any indication that she's being affected negatively at this point. So, no need to be worried, the consistency of the poo is well within the range of normal for a dragon that eats a good amount of greens/veg.
Thanks for responding, that makes me feel much better. She definitely enjoys her food. Im obviously still going to get a fecal done to make sure all is good, but it seems it would be ok to wait until the actual appointment? The only exotic vet I could find with decent reviews around me is an hour and half away so if I could save a trip that would be helpful lol. Shes eating great and gaining weight (I weigh her weekly).

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thanks for responding, that makes me feel much better. She definitely enjoys her food. Im obviously still going to get a fecal done to make sure all is good, but it seems it would be ok to wait until the actual appointment? The only exotic vet I could find with decent reviews around me is an hour and half away so if I could save a trip that would be helpful lol. Shes eating great and gaining weight (I weigh her weekly).
That is good --- just get your basking surface temps sometimes IR guns are off because of certain materials basking decor is made out of so its good to have the probe --- if shes not sick eating gaining weight she is good -- but if you want you can have the fecal done just to make sure -- but please take it in NO Enemas ---

Drakodragon8

Original Poster
That is good --- just get your basking surface temps sometimes IR guns are off because of certain materials basking decor is made out of so its good to have the probe --- if shes not sick eating gaining weight she is good -- but if you want you can have the fecal done just to make sure -- but please take it in NO Enemas ---
Thank you, I will definitely not allow any enemas is there anything else I should know about her 1st appointment? Anything good to ask or make sure doesn't happen? The vet im bringing her too was the one that had the best reviews in my area so thats how I based which one to pick. Thanks again!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you, I will definitely not allow any enemas is there anything else I should know about her 1st appointment? Anything good to ask or make sure doesn't happen? The vet im bringing her too was the one that had the best reviews in my area so thats how I based which one to pick. Thanks again!
Get a copy of everything- if you bring the fecal in make sure you tell the vet / vet tech that a fecal was brought in- if they do blood work they should go over that w/ you or at least what they get back while your there-- ask qustions- mine asked me everything about my dragon diet what kind of lighting what size tank a whole history of both of them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom