one back leg feels weaker than other

Status
Not open for further replies.

berdo24

So today i fed my dragon...at the moment he is on loose substrate but i put him and the crickets in a large bowl to prevent him eating sand.. also ive observed him in his cage at first he was curious about the sand and would put his nose to it like he was going to lick it but wouldnt. i plan on switching him to tile this weekend as soon as i take some measurements. but after wards i handle him and give him his daily misting and i noticed that both is back legs are weaker than his front but one of his back legs is weaker than the other his is about 5 months old eating very well. could this be slight he has a strip uvb bulb 100 gallon tank his temps are good... also.. my house gets pretty cold in the winter even for me is a infrared light ok for night use? any other suggestions would be appreciated thank you for your help

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Which brand of UVB flourescent tube light are you using & how old is it? Are you supplementing calcium?
You will want to use a ceramic heat emitter instead of an infrared light for overnight use. The red light has a tendency to bother them as they can see that light spectrum.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, the Reptiglo 5 flourescent at 5 months old is not putting out much if any UVB's. It is not nearly strong enough.
If your dragon is under 1 year of age, he needs calcium 5 times per week. As an adult, he will need calcium 3 times per week.
I advise you to get a new UVB flourescent tube light, the Reptisun 10, & begin supplementing calcium more to help his bones out.

Tracie

berdo24

Original Poster
so today i came home from work and it seems that he is limping tried to feed him but only was interested in a couple crickets at the moment...and he is usually a quick eater. i powdered his crickets.... also the leg that seems weaker looks a little swollen but he is still able to use it just doesn't walk on it could he have injured him self? i dont want him running around in case he did injure him self so im going to try and hand feed him a little... ill go and get him a new light asap

berdo24

Original Poster
sorry i think you misunderstood about the light? (edit: the misunderstanding was on my part!) he is 5 months old.. the light is but a week old

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So your dragon is 5 months old & you have the Reptiglo 5? Is that correct?
Still, the Reptiglo 5 is not a strong enough light & if you are only supplementing calcium once a week, between too little UVB exposure & not enough calcium supplementing, he may be exhibiting symptoms of metabolic bone disease.
I highly recommend getting a stronger UVB light, such as the Reptisun 10 flourescent tube light & beginning calcium supplementation 5 times per week. When do you plan on getting a new light then?

Tracie

berdo24

Original Poster
yes you are correct and i would be getting the light first thing Saturday. I called and made a vet appointment for Saturday but its sounding like i can avoid this? what would you recommend?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry I missed your last post. :oops: Did you end up taking him to the vet today?
I believe if you get a new & stronger UVB that your dragon will begin to improve for you. Let me know how he is doing.

Tracie

berdo24

Original Poster
the vet actually called me and asked if she could bump me back because she had an emergency so i ended up canceling since he seemed to be more active and ate like normal i let him eat in a smaller bowl that i put right up to him so he didn't have to move his leg much.. my store didnt have a reptisun 10 but she said the reptiglo 10 is an equivalent from what I've heard its not but I got it temporary until i can get the reptisun. i also picked up herbavite, he seems to be feeling better than yesterday the swelling on his leg seems to have gone down some as well. i think he may have fractured it climbing on his basking spot which is a piece of cork wood propped up against his rock cave and hideaway log he's gotten bigger since i got him and it seems it moves if he runs off it to fast so I've secured it with a small piece of velcro until i can get him a larger basking spot. I appreciate all of your help Tracie i will make sure to keep you posted on his recovery and if he seems to worsen at all I'll make another vet appointment he's shedding right now so i'll post picks when he's done i swear its been constant shedding since ive got him. thanks again

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh ok, so you ended up not going in on saturday after all? That is ok for now then.
Good you have secured the basking spot better since he has gotten larger. Well, you are right, the Reptiglo 10 is definitely not the equivalent at all. Just keep it at 10 inches from him, ok, for safety & place it directly beside the basking light.
Order the Reptisun 10 from http://www.petmountain.com
It will be much cheaper than from the petstore so you can save money that way?
Let me know if you need anything at all! :D I am pulling for his recovery.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are welcome, no problem. Keep me posted on him. He should be fine though, especially after you get the better UVB soon. :D

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom