Older than thought?

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
So when I got hazel she was 8-9 inches long snout to end of tail. She would eat like a hog and everything. This led me to believe she was only a few weeks- a month old however now I’ve noticed she is in her hide more, when fed bugs she only eats maybe 10-15 then she is done, and she is eating salad but not a lot. She’s about a foot long now. I use a 10.0 24 in reptisun uvb. I use a flukers basking bulb. Basking temps are around 100-105 F. Ambient temp is 80 on warm side 75 on cool side. This Christmas I am getting a 120 gallon tank rn she is in a 48 gallon. Is there any way she could be older but stunted, could she be trying to brumate, is it possibly due to shedding a little?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 45

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So when I got hazel she was 8-9 inches long snout to end of tail. She would eat like a hog and everything. This led me to believe she was only a few weeks- a month old however now I’ve noticed she is in her hide more, when fed bugs she only eats maybe 10-15 then she is done, and she is eating salad but not a lot. She’s about a foot long now. I use a 10.0 24 in reptisun uvb. I use a flukers basking bulb. Basking temps are around 100-105 F. Ambient temp is 80 on warm side 75 on cool side. This Christmas I am getting a 120 gallon tank rn she is in a 48 gallon. Is there any way she could be older but stunted, could she be trying to brumate, is it possibly due to shedding a little?
Where did you get her from? Your ambient temp on the warm side should be close to 100 or so and 80 on the cool side -- Its possible the dragon was stunted but that is pretty young when you got her - dragons grow at their own rate -- good lighting surface basking temps and good diet she may have a big growth spurt --

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
Where did you get her from? Your ambient temp on the warm side should be close to 100 or so and 80 on the cool side -- Its possible the dragon was stunted but that is pretty young when you got her - dragons grow at their own rate -- good lighting surface basking temps and good diet she may have a big growth spurt --
Got her from pet smart, didn’t know how bad that was till after. The ambient temp is more around 90 then 80

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
Ok so her start may have gotten delayed --- they dont have very good care from there so just keep up w/ a good diet and her temps etc -
Ok. When I saw what they kept them in my heart broke. Is there any reason why she may be in her hides more often and eating less, I’ve had her for a few months and she’s just now doing this so I’m wondering if it could be brumation

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
An 8-9" dragon would usually be at least 2,maybe 3 months old. She looks very healthy so you've taken good care of her and it's fine if she goes in to sleepy mode for a while. She's nice looking too !

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
An 8-9" dragon would usually be at least 2,maybe 3 months old. She looks very healthy so you've taken good care of her and it's fine if she goes in to sleepy mode for a while. She's nice looking too !
Should I still get her up and feed her or leave her be?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just leave her be for a week or so, she's young and on the small side so it's likely that she won't go in to a real brumation. She might sleep a little off + on and then come out and you can offer food the entire time.

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
Just leave her be for a week or so, she's young and on the small side so it's likely that she won't go in to a real brumation. She might sleep a little off + on and then come out and you can offer food the entire time.
Ok, I have noticed that she does come out sometimes to bask, instead of waiting for a certain time I’ll just feed when she’s out

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I totally agree, she looks great & while she might have been stunted I think she will be fine.
It's fine for her to go through a little slow down phase but like AHBD said, it likely wouldn't be
very long!

Tracie

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
If she’s not out when I offer food should I get her out or will she be ok missing a dwy

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syafiqmust
Top Bottom