older beardie gaining weight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubyjune

i have a 7 year old female (mommy) that was given to me at 4 1/2 years with her mate (daddy), whom i keep separated from her. i did breed her a year and a half ago, but have not since. over the past 6 months she has been gaining weight like crazy, becoming positively fat! this belly is all squishy, no lumps, nothing heavy feeling or solid. she still poos like normal and eats like normal. what could be causing the weight gain? i don't believe she's gravid, it has gone on for way too long for her to be egg bound, not to mention i can't feel any in her. and she's bigger than i've ever seen her even when she was laying! any ideas?
elaborating...
she eats romain, carrots, yellow squash, and nature zone bearded dragon bites daily with this or that for variety off of the approved list. gutloaded (nature zone cricket total bites) and dusted (repcal) crickets every couple days, although she's much more into her salad, particularly the carrots and the beardie bites. she's been on this diet since i got her from her previous owners and her diet with them was very similar. she's in a 55g aquarium, basking area 100-115, cool end 75 or so. 5.0 uvb strip light changed every 6 months, cypris mulch as i really don't like sand in enclosures, and a water dish she can soak in, plus a light mist in the morning and bath time every few days just lately (thought she might be bound). she is on the long side for a girl, longer than both my males, and has never had weight issues that i know of until recently. no shedding issues, no growths, poos every couple days and it looks like it always has, eyes clear, mouth pinkish, not lethargic other than obviously having to move more of herself around now and that makes it a bit harder for her.
one thought that i had was just that she passed breeding age and ballooned. hormone changes or something? someone mentioned a copper deficiency but i can't seem to find anything about it. poor old mamma! what can i do?

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
June, did you know that even a dragon that hasn't been bred ( female that is ) can actually lay non viable eggs ?

This is the season for that, so this actually might be what you are seeing. The only way to acertain this is to get an X-ray of her belly. I am hoping some of the experienced breeders might pop on in here, and perhaps they can offer something, but that is my feeling.

If this is indeed what is happening, then just up her calcium and feedings, until she lays, and keep the cal up for a few weeks after , just to make sure she doesn't lose anything while gravid and after laying.

Hope this helps out !
Janie.

rubyjune

Original Poster
i actually have limited experience breeding... momma gave me several clutches a year and a half ago... and have set her up "just in case" with digging area and her usual baby time set up. she started gaining weight around christmas last year and hasn't stopped. i at first thought it was eggs, but she hasn't laid and its been 6 months, unless she's both getting fat and trying to lay and just started with the eggs. i don't know. i just know that when i have her in her bath i can't feel anything in her belly.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Huh. Interesting.. I know that one of my babies, Orions' mother would be 800gms if the owners allowed her, so perhaps she just needs to be placed on a diet ?
What all is she eating daily ?
Maybe snacks can be backed off for a bit, until she starts losing and maintains a healthy weight ?
Janie.

sluedu09

Hatchling Member
Do you know her exact weight? Maybe she's just getting a little porky? If you are worried, I would just take her in for a check up, get her weight, and see if a x-ray is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom