Not eating, black beard after following vet instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my beardie Talon has always been a great eater ever since a few months ago. I figured he was brumating (although this is the first year he’s been an adult) so I took him to the vet to be sure. They told me it wasn’t hot enough and that infrared thermometers were only accurate for seeing the temp of surfaces and that I needed to put aluminum foil on the top of his cage because heat escapes from mesh. So I did all that, and I also closed my blinds and curtains since then. They gave him a shot of something (I forgot but it was to make him gain an appetite they said). And so far it’s been 4 days and he’s actually eating less, and his beard is usually black. Not crazy dark black but definitely not normal. He seemed to be eating better beforehand and now he’s eating absolutely nothing. The vet also said that supplements are dangerous and I should crush up bearded dragons pellets in his salads (that he also doesn’t eat lately).

But before you ask, his basking temp is 95 degrees, cool side is 75. 50 gallon tank, uvb is 10.0 T5 reptisun in a reflector fixture on top of mesh, 9 inches away. My temps were taken with an infrared thermometer that the vet says don’t measure correctly, and I just wanna know if all this is right and if the aluminum foil on top of the mesh is right because so far I don’t know what to do for the guy and it’s not helping.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So my beardie Talon has always been a great eater ever since a few months ago. I figured he was brumating (although this is the first year he’s been an adult) so I took him to the vet to be sure. They told me it wasn’t hot enough and that infrared thermometers were only accurate for seeing the temp of surfaces and that I needed to put aluminum foil on the top of his cage because heat escapes from mesh. So I did all that, and I also closed my blinds and curtains since then. They gave him a shot of something (I forgot but it was to make him gain an appetite they said). And so far it’s been 4 days and he’s actually eating less, and his beard is usually black. Not crazy dark black but definitely not normal. He seemed to be eating better beforehand and now he’s eating absolutely nothing. The vet also said that supplements are dangerous and I should crush up bearded dragons pellets in his salads (that he also doesn’t eat lately).

But before you ask, his basking temp is 95 degrees, cool side is 75. 50 gallon tank, uvb is 10.0 T5 reptisun in a reflector fixture on top of mesh, 9 inches away. My temps were taken with an infrared thermometer that the vet says don’t measure correctly, and I just wanna know if all this is right and if the aluminum foil on top of the mesh is right because so far I don’t know what to do for the guy and it’s not helping.
I would take that aluminum foil off- digital probe thermometers are the best way to get temps and yes you want surface basking temps please show me your screen mesh ? Fine or wide whole type - ? This is going to determine the placement and distance of your uvb this is crucial- ir guns are good but do not read off certain basking decor like hammocks- supplements are not dangerous if given correctly-
@AHBD
@Drache613

Dragonfury866

Original Poster
Here’s the screen mesh with my hand next to it to reference

Attachments

• EF66D706-18A2-4D02-A962-A61B8FE5B444.jpeg
    EF66D706-18A2-4D02-A962-A61B8FE5B444.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 65

Dragonfury866

Original Poster
I would take that aluminum foil off- digital probe thermometers are the best way to get temps and yes you want surface basking temps please show me your screen mesh ? Fine or wide whole type - ? This is going to determine the placement and distance of your uvb this is crucial- ir guns are good but do not read off certain basking decor like hammocks- supplements are not dangerous if given correctly-
@AHBD
@Drache613
Also, this won’t help his appetite but are there any brands you recommend for supplements? I use flukers but I kind of assume it’s not the best because it’s the only brand I find in pet stores

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Also, this won’t help his appetite but are there any brands you recommend for supplements? I use flukers but I kind of assume it’s not the best because it’s the only brand I find in pet stores
Your uvb can sit on top of the screen being it's a wide hole type distance should be 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor but you might want to consider moving it inside the tank if you decide to do that 12-15 inches would need to be the distance then I am going to have someone else on here recommend the supplements- uvb and basking temps control the behavior of the dragon how old is the uvb?
@AHBD
@CooperDragon

Dragonfury866

Original Poster
Your uvb can sit on top of the screen being it's a wide hole type distance should be 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor but you might want to consider moving it inside the tank if you decide to do that 12-15 inches would need to be the distance then I am going to have someone else on here recommend the supplements- uvb and basking temps control the behavior of the dragon how old is the uvb?
@AHBD
@CooperDragon
It’s only 4 months, I’ve been replacing them every 6. Is there ever a faulty uvb? Because he’s been having eating issues just as long as I’ve gotten the new one, could just be coincidence but that’s definitely the time frame. Right now the heat lamp is directly above his basking spot, do you think I should switch spots so that the UVB is directly above?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry that you had an unpleasant experience at the vets. Talon was likely just trying to brumate, they don't need to be seen by a vet for that and not all vets understand or believe that dragons need to brumate so they may offer unnecessary " help ". The uvb + heat should be on the same side by the way. For supplements I keep 2 types of calcium by Repcal, the type WITH D3 1-2 X a week, + the type without D3 2 days a week. Then I also use Herptivite vitamins, just once a week is all that's needed. All dusting is very lightly.

Hopefully Talon is just stressed from the vet visit + shot and will feel better soon.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It’s only 4 months, I’ve been replacing them every 6. Is there ever a faulty uvb? Because he’s been having eating issues just as long as I’ve gotten the new one, could just be coincidence but that’s definitely the time frame. Right now the heat lamp is directly above his basking spot, do you think I should switch spots so that the UVB is directly above?
Get another piece of decor and put under the uvb or move it closer to the basking decor if you can a faulty uvb would be flickering etc - your uvb is good for a year I recommend you change it out a month prior to- what are you feeding him? How long have you had the aluminum foil on top? Open up your curtains get him out of the dark he only needs that at night - temps 65-75 at nite I have flagged your post to some others so they can chime in here

Dragonfury866

Original Poster
I feed him crickets mainly, waxworms and hornworms rarely as a treat. For his salads endive, bok choy, collard greens, and mango every other week cause he loves mango.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom