No Emergency vet, severe Parasite Symptoms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahtee

My 2 yo beardie Dax needs emergency care in Maine. Hes black bearded, won’t eat anything, has been on a food strike for two weeks and I didn’t realize this wasn’t brumation right away, until he started looking ill. He’s not exactly accustomed to a tank anymore and has lights set up for him by his favorite spot, this wasnt intended he actually started injuring himself trying to escape the tank and would move around depressed and refuse food, he’s actually ridiculous and this lifestyle probably Isn’t the best as much as I love him.. he’s been awesome, Never had any concerns or sicknesses until now.. he has lost weight in the last 2 weeks.. has symptoms of parasites. He was eating From a syringe and drinking but isn’t now today, this boy went from wanting to eat everything to nothing. I’m really worried about him. Im giving pedialyte and water baths, I Have reptaboost and grub pie and all kinds of bugs… but can’t get him to take anything today and he seems weak. Whatever is going on happened fast… after I used canned feeders thinking he was starving when he probably wasn’t, every local store had run out of feeders and I was waiting on a shipment of them. I can’t lose him he’s my baby, he goes everywhere with me. He doesnt want to be in a bath either but I keep trying.
he has runny poo, lots of it, they had a lot of mucous in them and off and on some Blood drops, the last couple days and he gagged a few times like he was going to get sick but hasn’t eaten more than a bit of a syringe full of reptaboost i made a slurry with what I had, my poor boy…
Local vet that takes reptiles is a few hrs away and my truck is in the shop I’m guessing until tomorrow the guy never called me. I’m making him an appt tomorrow morning and hope they can get him in to see someone before I lose him I don’t know what to do this came on so fast, can anyone help? there is no emergency vets that take reptiles here.

Last edited:

Tahtee

Original Poster
And if this IS coccidi- I have a LOT of cleaning to do because Dax has been all over this room, all Over the Truck, everywhere.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your boy is having some trouble. Is he still black bearding tonight? How much weight has he lost?
He may have had some trouble with the canned insects, how much of them did he have?
You can try giving some parsley, cilantro, mint & basil mixed with water into a paste for him to help detox his system a little bit. If he is still
having blood with his stools, definitely get a fecal done on him as soon as you can.
For now, keep him a little warmer overnight, usually around 75-80, to help boost his immune system.
If he doesn't like the Reptaboost very much, you can make him a slurry made with chicken or turkey baby food, mixed with squash or sweet
potato baby food. You can give that to him daily or every other day to help out nutritionally.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Tahtee

Original Poster
My friend is going to help me get him to the vet he’s not taking enough water or slurries or reptaboost or anything to gain weight he’s just losing more and more. Last fall he was 530 grams and was 425 last week. Less now. He hates baths so those aren’t going well but I found if I do them later at night he sleeps right through it but he’s just skin and bones and it’s happened over the last month. Vet is two weeks out although my friend is going to foot the costs for an emergency Appt but can’t til Friday. I’ve done everything to try to save him even called a rescue just in case I can’t manage but it might be too late. He went from healthy and happy to deathly ill what could do this to a beardie?

Tahtee

Original Poster
This dragon is my everything.... I didn’t know he was so sick. In the last few days his eyes sunk in and his spine is showing. He had a good amount of those bugs and has completely refused all solids since that day but I watched for signs of impaction and they never came. How do I prepare him for traveling in Maine weather?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response. How did your vet visit go? Most of us just carry them in a warm fleece blankie in
a cat or dog carrier. I know it's cold, how did he do on the traveling?
What did the vet say, did they do a fecal?
Let us know how he is doing. I am sorry he is so ill.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom