Newbie owner here, is my setup alright?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuincyAndI

Hi guys, I have a six month old bearded dragon named Quincy, he's 12 inches long from nose to tip, eats his veggies when he feels like it at least once a day & has two cricket/locust feeds in the morning & an hour before bedtime to let him digest 'em a bit before sleeping.

I have a read a lot of the discussions & like many new owners I just want some re-assurance about my bulb type, cage type, substrate type, food types, ect. So allow me to explain. I have a horizontal vivarium, it's 3 1/2 foot in length, it goes back a foot & is 1 1/2 foot high, is that an alright size? Not sure how to measure gallons.

I use a standard 60w red reflector bulb (red because I was told that the bearded dragons can't see it that much at night & where I live gets quite chilly at night so sometimes it has to come on to heat it up in there.) My UVB bulb is a tube type, repti-glo 10.0 & it covers about two third's of the tank, mainly where he sits on his branch to bask ect & according to it's range it should reach the entire tank. I don't use a thermostat because they're too pricey for me at the moment, but I basically have a timer plug which switches the heat bulb on & off for 20 mins & on for 30 mins throughout the day, coming on four times in the night for 15 minutes to stop it dipping. I've got two circular vents in the top rear right of the vivarium & sometimes wonder if he needs more, because sometimes I catch him napping with his head right next to it. I use kitchen roll double folded for his flooring, because their bowel movements tend to be encased in this jelly'ish water substance, so it's easily disposed of.

In terms of food I'm currently feeding him a mixture of 4th black crickets & 4th locusts. I sprinkle some of the bug calcium on these & the bugs themselves are gutloaded with bits of veg' & this powder/water mix stuff. He loves the locusts & will scurry around to get them, but not so excited about the black crickets, even though he does eat 'em when cup fed. For vegetables I usually just go to local supermarket & get one with a mixture of lettuces (not iceberg), carrot, cabbage. I tried him with a dandelion but he had a bit of a runny poo, so I'm unsure, it was washed correctly & picked from a garden which hasn't used weedkiller in over two years.

Sorry to have waffled on, I have a few pictures of him, I think he seems fine but I'm barely responsible for myself & don't want to let the little guy down, any advice is appreciated!

dsc00211cjx.jpg

dsc00188vqx.jpg

dsc00205d.jpg

Venom508

Juvie Member
hello and welcome ur little guy is adorable!.

BUT.

i noticed a few things, first the red light isn't good, for them to have a really good sleep the complete darkness so you need to ditch ALL lights at night, you don't need any lights at night unless the temp get blow 65f, if it does drop to really cold get him a CHE (ceramic heat emitter)
they give out only heat no light at all, so they so they are good to use. also make sure he can get within 8 inches of the uv so he can absorb the uv but you need to change it.

i cant remember why but red lights are bad, you need bright white lights.

the uv tube ur using is bad too, the reptiglos are known for causing health problems, the reptiSUN 10.00 tube is good or the Arcadia 12. tube.

with the food, make sure that what ur feeding him is no bigger than the space between the eyes, because that's how big the digestive tract is, calcium should be given 5x a week.

lettuce is whats making him do runny poo cuz its basically all water with almost no nutritional value, http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html . this site give you all the info you need on veggies.

other than that it all sounds pretty good.

i hope this helps and best of luck with him!!!

QuincyAndI

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, I'll swap out that tube bulb asap. I always thought the Exo-terra one's were good, guess I was wrong. XD! *Beardie wave.*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kpurlett
Top Bottom