Newbie is Worried!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is so much out there and so much to do with your bearded dragon I hope I do everything right. I want to give my new friend the best home and the best life possible.
I have been reading through countless threads and collecting information but I am confused on 3 things

1. If you have a wire top on the cage will this release the humididtly in the tank. Should I still leave a bowl of water in his tank? Do I need to get a humudity gage?
2. When do you mist the dragon? Inbetween baths? Do you mist inside the tank or out side the tank?
3. Do you let the dragon eat crickets out of your hand or just vegitation?

Sorry for the ignorance but thank you for your help.
I can't wait to get home.

YellowDragon

Original Poster
Now I have a couple more questions?
1. Should I have a UVB light that takes up the length of the cage?
2. What time of day should you bath the beardie?
3. How hot/cold should the water in his water bowl be?

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Hi! Welcome to BD.org! Do you have your beardie already or are you planning?

YellowDragon":7dda0 said:
1. If you have a wire top on the cage will this release the humididtly in the tank. Should I still leave a bowl of water in his tank? Do I need to get a humudity gage?
2. When do you mist the dragon? Inbetween baths? Do you mist inside the tank or out side the tank?
3. Do you let the dragon eat crickets out of your hand or just vegitation?

Sorry for the ignorance but thank you for your help.
I can't wait to get home.
1. A wire top does help a lot with humidity. Unless you bathe your beardie daily, providing a shallow water bowl is a good idea. The humidity levels all depend on where you live. Here, it is very dry, and I never have to worry about humidity with Budo. However, in more humid areas, you may have difficulties. Buy a humidity gauge (not the circular stick-on kind; those don't work very well at all). If you buy a AcuRite digital thermometer with a probe, it also has a humidity gauge. Humidity should be 30-40%.

2. Personally, I don't mist my beardie. I give him daily baths (4x per week is fine, too) and I drip water on his nose with an eye-dropper, which he licks off. To hydrate themselves, beardies take in water through their mouths and vent. Misting doesn't help them absorb water through their vent, and it doesn't get very much in their mouths either. They don't absorb water through their skin, so misting doesn't help that much there.

If you do decide to mist your beardie, you can mist any time of the day, no more than once a day. Don't mist at night or for an hour before your beardie's lights go out, or he will be cold.

3. You can hand-feed him anything, but not everything. Beardies that get used to hand-feeding may refuse to eat any other way. I rarely hand-feed my beardie, and when I do, it's only a few crickets or a single leaf of collard greens.

Keep greens/veggies/fruits in a bowl. They should always be available and should be replaced every 24 hours. With crickets, drop one in front of your beardie, let him eat it, then drop another. Crix left in with a beardie may cause injuries.

1. Should I have a UVB light that takes up the length of the cage?
2. What time of day should you bath the beardie?
3. How hot/cold should the water in his water bowl be?
1. 3/4 the length of the enclosure is fine.

2. It doesn't really matter, as long as your beardie always has two hours after feeding to digest without being taken out, and as long as he is able to dry off completely afterwards, usually through basking. I bathe Budo in the evenings, but I snuggle with him to keep him warm / dry for a few hours afterwards.

3. Fill it with 90-100* water. It will eventually cool to room temp, which is fine.

Good luck with everything! If you have any other questions, ask! :D

Maya

YellowDragon

Original Poster
Sorry I put it in the worng section.
Thank you Maya for all the advice I really appreciate it. I have had my beardie for 3 days now.
He is so cool I love hanging out with him!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Don't worry about it, no problem.
How is everything going for you, do you have any additional questions or concerns being a new beardie parent? :D
Let us know how it is all working out. I hope that you are enjoying him. :love5:

Tracie

YellowDragon

Original Poster
So far he looks great. he is awake and lively during the day and sleeps at night. I wraped him in a blanket last night and let him sleep on me for a while and gave him his first bath. he tolerated it. i wouldn't say that he liked it. I am having a lot of fun learning and researching about this wonderful reptile. I just want to make sure I am doing everything perfect.
Thanks for all your help so far, I am sure I will have more questions later.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Ask as many as you need to be comfortable ! That is just one reason we are all here ;)
The other is .... to look at dragon pictures.... hint hint hint :D
Janie.

YellowDragon

Original Poster
Here are some pictures from his first day in his new home
DSC_0074-1.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0070-1.jpg

DSC_0069-1.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
holy molly ! That is one cool viv ! Ohhhhh wook atthat face ! makes you just want to snuggle and cuddle and kiss all over !
Too sweet !
Janie
Thanks for the pictures !

YellowDragon

Original Poster
Great the tanks looks good. I wasn't sure if it was right. I really do like his marking but they don't seem unusuall. I have seen others with great mrkings. We will have to see as he grows. I am already in love with him. I love comeing home and playing with him. I never thought it would be this much fun!

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
:shock: What a lucky beardie! The viv looks great! (Although I honestly don't envy you on cleaning days, with all those plants. :lol:)

He looks great! What beautiful colors! :love5: He also seems pretty stress-mark-free, which is a great sign. :D Great job with everything!

YellowDragon

Original Poster
So far he really likes climbing but you are right the cleaning sucks. We are still so new and learing I think as we get a bigger tank we will do something different or easier to clean.
Thanks for the wonderful comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camila
Top Bottom