new owner with some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ollie120108

Hello,
I am a proud new owner of a year and a half year old female beardie (Ollie). I purchased her yesterday from my local exotic pet store. She seems to have adjusted well to her new home, after being home for a couple of hours she ate about 12 superworms but no veggies. This morning I put a salad (turnip greens, kale, shredded sweet potatoes, zucchine and carrots) didn't touch any of it. This afternoon I put 8 supperworms in on top of a new salad hoping she would taste the salad and realize she liked it, to no avail, she picked the worms right out and only got one piece of carrot and a small piece of zucchine. I am not to worried about it right now as I will keep working with her. In the day and a half I have had her she has not drank any water, I have tried running water down her nose and misting her but she won't lick it off. I have given her to soaks last night and tonight so I know she is getting some water from her baths. The only worry that I have right now is that she hasn't pooped yet, some things I have seen says not to worry, but of course I am. I have her in a 30 breeder tank from the reptile store, she has sand on the bottom, temp is around 95 in basking spot (I think I might need a hotter bulb) she can get within 6-8 inches of the bulb, cool side is in the low 80's and I am using a digital thermometer. The petstore told me I only needed one light because it did both, provide uvb and heat. It is a 125W daylight Solar glow sun simulating lamp by exo-terra. Also tonight after lights out I picked her up and swaddeled her like a baby in a piece of flannel, I put her under my shirt and she fell asleep within minutes. I kept her like this for about 30 minutes then I put her back in her viv (I think this is what you guys call it, although I am not sure why). I left her wrapped up and she hasn't moved yet. I think for a first time reptile owner I am not doing too bad, but I have lots of questions. Thank you for any information that you all may have.
Maria

jfm08

Hatchling Member
if its possible you may want to upgrade the size of the tank to maybe a 40.... How is the lighting in her enclosure? What do you use for the UVB? What do the temps get up to? That may be your problem with the salad ..... or it may just be that she is still preferring live food over salads.... she will come around just give it a day or two :) let us know

ollie120108

Original Poster
quote="jfm08"]if its possible you may want to upgrade the size of the tank to maybe a 40.... How is the lighting in her enclosure? What do you use for the UVB? What do the temps get up to? That may be your problem with the salad ..... or it may just be that she is still preferring live food over salads.... she will come around just give it a day or two :) let us know

According to everything is have read the only difference between the 30 and the 40 is height, although I may be wrong. The UVB source is what I posted the first time, I believe it is a 125W exo-terra mvb that I was told gave off heat as well as UVB. The temps on the hot side go to about 100 to 105 (not what I posted the first time, was checking the temp wrong) on the cool side during the day it is 78 to 80. At night her temp does drop into the low 70's but she seems to do fine with that. Just a little while ago I was able to interest her in a bite of sweet potatoes and a piece of turnip green, but she only ate it with me holding it. Much like a child as soon as she had those two bites she turned her body completely away from me. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom