New Dragon not eating much

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlggator

I haven't been on here since I lost my dragon, Lizard to adenovirus a little over a year ago. We finally decided to get a new dragon. We bought a little 2 month old. This dragon is much younger than our last one was. Lizard also ate like a pig right from the get go. This one isn't eating much. We offer it crickets many times a day. It will eat a few then stop. It won't eat much veggies. It's only eating a few crickets a day. I'm sure this is not enough. I also have dubia, which I prefer to feed, and it has no interest in those at all.

I have it in a 20 gallon tank. I have double dome light with a infrared bulb on one side and a ceramic bulb in the other. Sometimes I put both on, sometimes just one. Under that light I have a basking area/hide and a branch that gets up high under the light. The dragon usually hangs out on top of the hide. On the cool side, it has a hammock which it loves to sleep on.

I have a reptisun 30" hood with which stretches across the entire top of the cage. In it is a T8 10.0 UVB bulb.

It is active. When it pursues the crickets (when it is interested) it can move quickly.

What can I do? Is it eating enough? How do I get it interested in eating more.

I can post pictures when we all wake up in the morning.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I haven't been on here since I lost my dragon, Lizard to adenovirus a little over a year ago. We finally decided to get a new dragon. We bought a little 2 month old. This dragon is much younger than our last one was. Lizard also ate like a pig right from the get go. This one isn't eating much. We offer it crickets many times a day. It will eat a few then stop. It won't eat much veggies. It's only eating a few crickets a day. I'm sure this is not enough. I also have dubia, which I prefer to feed, and it has no interest in those at all.

I have it in a 20 gallon tank. I have double dome light with a infrared bulb on one side and a ceramic bulb in the other. Sometimes I put both on, sometimes just one. Under that light I have a basking area/hide and a branch that gets up high under the light. The dragon usually hangs out on top of the hide. On the cool side, it has a hammock which it loves to sleep on.

I have a reptisun 30" hood with which stretches across the entire top of the cage. In it is a T8 10.0 UVB bulb.

It is active. When it pursues the crickets (when it is interested) it can move quickly.

What can I do? Is it eating enough? How do I get it interested in eating more.

I can post pictures when we all wake up in the morning.
Please get rid of the infrared bulb-- he needs a CLEAR bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110 taken with a digital probe thermometer- this is surface temp not air- try a exo Terra intense basking bulb 75 watt- make sure the uvb is unobstructed approx 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor- your heat emitter only needs to be on at nite if your tank is dropping below 65 -- get these things fixed ASAP--

mlggator

Original Poster
Sorry, I said infrared, I think that is the scientist in me. I always think of heat as infrared. He does have a basking bulb made for reptiles. I don't remember which brand, but I bought it at LLL reptile. So I have both a basking bulb and a ceramic heater for warmth.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Sorry, I said infrared, I think that is the scientist in me. I always think of heat as infrared. He does have a basking bulb made for reptiles. I don't remember which brand, but I bought it at LLL reptile. So I have both a basking bulb and a ceramic heater for warmth.
Your basking bulb should be a CLEAR bright white basking bulb if its a infrared it has color NO colored bulbs NO day time bulbs and the CHE is good for heat at nite if your temps are falling below 65 ---- he wont eat w/ out correct UVB which you have but it must be placed correctly for it to be doing its job -- and basking temps w/ a bright white basking bulb that give off UV of which he needs --- example of the bulb is a Exo Terra Intense basking bulb NO infrared -- your going to need to upgrade the tank here real soon he will out grow it fast -- I recommend a 75-120 gallon- but first we need to get the lighting corrected in the tank so he starts eating --

mlggator

Original Poster
I believe I have a ReptiMed 75 W basking bulb. It is NOT a colored infrared. That is my science background talking, thinking of all radiant heat in terms of infrared. I have included pictures of my tank set up.
I have a 36 x24 x 18 tank ready to go once she (I think its a she, but really have no idea yet) grows a bit. I also have a custom built outdoor cage for when its older and summer comes for some outdoor time. I had it built for Lizard (our first beardie) just before he passed away.

Any thoughts about how to get this little lizard eating more would be greatly appreciated.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I believe I have a ReptiMed 75 W basking bulb. It is NOT a colored infrared. That is my science background talking, thinking of all radiant heat in terms of infrared. I have included pictures of my tank set up.
I have a 36 x24 x 18 tank ready to go once she (I think its a she, but really have no idea yet) grows a bit. I also have a custom built outdoor cage for when its older and summer comes for some outdoor time. I had it built for Lizard (our first beardie) just before he passed away.

Any thoughts about how to get this little lizard eating more would be greatly appreciated.
Ok so the basking bulb is a clear bright white bulb and basking temps correctly and good UVB will get her to eat -- unless there is something else going on here --- please post a pic of her and the tank --- shes going to go thru relocation stress so the eating is going to be off -- is she eating at all ? Even a little it will take time for her to settle but the corrected basking temps and good UVB is going to help w/ that -- also she needs to stay hydrated rinse the salads before serving and make sure the insects are gut loaded that will help too
you need digital probe thermometers to get the correct basking temps

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Get the UVB unobstructed its a T 8 and it needs to have no screen in between -- basking decor 6-8 inches directly underneath --- he looks good

mlggator

Original Poster
What is the best way to mount the UVB under the screen? Also, I measured her basking temps using the temperature gun, and it measured around 105 degrees in the basking area.

She/he is still not eating much. We gave her a bath and she did eat a little bit of hibiscus, but that is all she would eat. She wouldn't eat the dubias or crickets. She also would not eat the greens.
I have an appointment at the vet on Friday. They suggested feeding her critical care if she continues to not eat. Should I syringe feed her critical care?

Other than not eating, she looks healthy and will move around her cage.

Just very concerned about her.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What is the best way to mount the UVB under the screen? Also, I measured her basking temps using the temperature gun, and it measured around 105 degrees in the basking area.

She/he is still not eating much. We gave her a bath and she did eat a little bit of hibiscus, but that is all she would eat. She wouldn't eat the dubias or crickets. She also would not eat the greens.
I have an appointment at the vet on Friday. They suggested feeding her critical care if she continues to not eat. Should I syringe feed her critical care?

Other than not eating, she looks healthy and will move around her cage.

Just very concerned about her.
Ok lay off the baths please- it's stressing her out too much- she's going thru relocation stress- I will post some stuff in the morning for the tank- can you get the screen half off and place the basking bulb on that and take the uvb place it width wise on the tank you can pull the screen up to it so the basking and uvb are together- get your decor piece directly under the uvb/ basking 6-8 inches-- try that for now I will get some stuff posted tomorrow for the tank/ uvb

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)

Attachments

• IMG_20190914_084426.jpg
    IMG_20190914_084426.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 106
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom