New Baby

Shauna_T

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
???
Hi I am new to the forum, I just bought my grandson a beardie and am looking for the correct information to get his setup correct. And of course the correct care for him as well. I have a 4ft x 2.5ft x 1ft fish aquarium I will be using temporarily. Where i bought the beardie I thought I seen a post it that said his hatch date was in april but he is only 7or 8 inches long does that sound correct? It just doesn't sound right to me after doing some research... so anyway... I also have a chameleon and breed my own dubia, I use miner-all vitamins for my cham I was wondering if I can use those for the beardie as well? I am going to use a topsoil play sand mixture as the substrate for him with live plants. I have some aloe plants, chick's -n- hens and I would like to maybe do some pathos as well. I know I will need to use a che at night as my house gets cold at night like 60° and I was going to get an arcadia t5 12% for him, but the guy I bought him from said I can use one of the basking bulbs that puts out uvb it is not a coil bulb or a tube it looks like a nano tech basking bulb but I didn't really read it 🤷‍♀️ and I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with that. I was wondering what your thoughts are on that. I have paid for my beardie but have not brought him home yet as I want everything correct first so I thought I would start here. I would greatly appreciate all the help I can get.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231104_164337_Snapchat~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20231104_164337_Snapchat~2.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Thank you everyone for your help. I didn't think the bulb he recommended was correct so I will be getting the arcadia 12%, this will be a temporary Viv for him we are going to build a 5ft or 6ft x 3ft x 4ft tall one for him so he has a nice size home with lots to climb on so he has an enriching environment. I know he will eat, climb and pretty much destroy the plants but that's ok its healthy to have them in there cleaning his air and providing fresh health oxygen for him, i just want him healthy and happy. the beardie is very health and eats really well. As to the length of my beardie i may have been just looking at his body so i asked my daughter if she thought he was about a foot long and she said yes so i apologize for the misinformation. I want y'all to know i am aware of how appetites change when they are adjusting to new homes and He will not be held for at least 1 week possibly 2 (I will judge his mood) so he has time to get used to his new home and of course again when we put him in his permanent Viv. I dont have temps yet as the viv is not set up but I will be following all y'alls recommendations. I will be using digital thermostat/hydrometers and his basking lamp will be on a thermostat with probe on his basking spot. I also have a thermostat gun so I can check levels that way. If I missed anything please let me know. I am attaching a photo of the aquarium I will be using obviously its not ready for him but i just thought i would show it for size reference. Again ty for all your help!!!
I do have 1 more question at least for now lol, what are the ages for baby, juvenile and adult so I know what food/temperature schedule to follow.
View attachment 85204
@AHBD Here are some pictures of the miner-all ingredients for you thought that might be helpful. View attachment 85196 View attachment 85197 View attachment 85200 View attachment 85202
Sure there is no hard rule for this but a rough guide for the ages would be:
0 - 4 months - baby
4 - 12 months - juvenile
12 - 18 months - sub adult
> 18 months - adult

Of course if your dragon is huge (like J4ckdaws is 😉) you have to adjust your feeding accordingly.

Shauna_T

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
???
0 - 4 months - baby
4 - 12 months - juvenile
> 18 months - adult

Of course if your dragon is huge (like J4ckdaws is 😉) you have to adjust your feeding accordingly.
Awesome thank you we did go back and see him and he is about a foot long I think I will measure him when we bring him home on friday

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
0 - 4 months - baby
4 - 12 months - juvenile
> 18 months - adult

Yes, I had to start the diet transition as early as 9 months. It’s been a wild ride with Leo 😁

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom