Need to ask a Vet please regarding Antibiotics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Just gonna throw my 2 cents in too and say the scales look normal and you have nothing to worry about.

Trust your gut in the future and if you dont feel comfortable, you have every right to stop a vet and ask questions before anything is done. :)
AHBD":3g2nblcx said:
I've raised dragon from the egg since the 1990's, rarely had need for a vet visit.
While I haven't been in the game since 1990, I've been it it a few years too and can honestly say I've taken only 1 of my dragons to the vets, just once. *knock on wood* not that it matters much just thought it curious you had the same experience with vets as I do lol.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
EDIT: not saying vets are unnecessary. they are a God-send when you need them and they are knowledgeable.
I've just been lucky enough over 20 years to only ever need to go once, and I didnt even need to go. It was just to check out the vet.

-Brandon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that the vet asking about the tail falling off is a red flag. I'm also not a big fan of vets providing meds (usually antibiotics) without running tests to verify infection and determine the cause. Based on the photos, the scales on the belly just look like freckles. My dragon has those too. The tail photo is a bit blurry so I can't see clearly, but I don't see signs of scabbing or wound that may indicate an infection. It just looks like yellow colored scales which is normal.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, the scales just sometimes develop spots, pigmentation changes, etc. There is no
evidence of yellow fungus, or infection of any type that I can see based on the pictures.
Since she isn't exhibiting any illness, I personally don't think that she needs any antibiotics
at all, especially in the tail.
It is always nice to know of a good vet around, but you can take your time & look around right
now since you don't need one immediately. Being in Malta, that has to be challenging to find
one within a reasonable distance from you.

Tracie

MorganaTheSatyr

Original Poster
Hi Guys!

Thanks so much for the feedback and info! I can't tell you how much relief I now feel!

To think I was well read on dragons and not know that their scales can change so drastically and still be normal - should be something they include in a beginners guide I think. Goes to show that owning and caring for such a beautiful creature can take you through some drastic ups and downs. I regret not coming here to the forum before going to the vet - but I legit thought it was a fungus and needed instant care. Now I know better.

Thanks again you guys! I wish you all well <3
~Blessings xxx

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's normal to get stressed about unknown issues popping up that wer'e not familiar with. I hope your girl has a long + healthy life with you !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom