need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackiesouthern

i have 2 bearded dragons. in about a 30 gallon tank. the basking spot is kept at about 85 degrees and the other side is about 65 - 70. i dont know what the sexes are but i fig seen as they are about 10 months old that i either have a female and male or 2 females.

one of the dragons has dug a hole (what looks to be a nesting spot) in the habitat that i built for them and doesnt seem to be eating or basking since it has done that. the other one is basking almost all the time.

if anyone could give me some insight on this it would be muchly appreciated

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You have 2 semi adults in a 30 gallon tank??
You do realize that they will need a much larger tank, as they are way too crowded in there. If you have a male & a female you will need to separate them though because they will breed too early which can cause serious health complications for the female.
So try to find out what the sexes of them are, so you can know how to plan the housing.
What do you measure your temperatures with, a stick on thermometer, a digital probe or a temp gun?
The basking temps are recommended to be 95-110 so 85 for a basking is not warm enough. The cool side should be around 78-82.
What type & brand of UVB lighting do you have, is it a flourescent tube bulb, or a compact or coil light?

Tracie

dragons1222

Juvie Member
yes i definatly agree with the pp

she is much to young to be safely laying eggs

she will use all the calcium in her bones toward the eggs and could develope mbd

i dont reccomend hosuing together at all no matter what the sex but if you must they would have to be both female and you would need a much larger enclosure

how big are they?

i cannot imagine my guy in a 30g and he is only 8 months

jackiesouthern

Original Poster
with tail one is 10 inches and the other is 11 inches.

i was asking if someone could help with the feeding and the hibernating insite.

neither one of the dragons minds the tank and im just guessing that it is a 30 gallon im not sure i have had them in it for about 4 - 6 months so far.

i do not know what lights i use i do have the heat lamp and the uvb one but do not know the make.

dragons1222

Juvie Member
the make of the bulb is VERY important as some are causing major health problems

on the uvb the name should be on the end

now as far as size they are very small for their age

at 10 months they should be much larger than that

proper food suppliments and lighting will help imrove their length

but they will probably never reach their full potential

and please seperate them as soon as possible it is very important especially since they are soooo small

what are the demesions ofyour tank and i can tell you how many gallons it is
(lxwxh) in inches

MissT

BD.org Addict
Zoo med - thats te reptiSun isn't it?? Does it have a number (eg 2.0, 5.0, 10.0?)

jackiesouthern":3518c said:
the basking spot is kept at about 85 degrees and the other side is about 65 - 70
The tank is too cold - the basking spot needs to be somewhere around 95 - 110 and the cool side should be much closer to 80 during the day - if the cool side is at 65 during the day, what does it drop too at night???????
The temperature could be causing you beardie to lose its appetite as it is unable to digest food correctly.

HOWEVER, as much of an issue as that is, I do believe your beardie may be facing much bigger problems.
jackiesouthern":3518c said:
one of the dragons has dug a hole (what looks to be a nesting spot) in the habitat that i built for them and doesnt seem to be eating or basking since it has done that.
This could well be a sign that your beardie is preparing to lay eggs, which she is much too young to be doing safely - yes, she MIGHT be ok this time, but you will need to separate them,(preferably permanently)but at least until her body is able to cope with egg laying AND until you can get a much larger tank where they are not cramped!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom