Need Help, beardie not eating veggies!

Badoonka

Beardie name(s)
Yoda
Hey, I adopted a one year old beardie this week named Yoda, his previous owner told me the foods he likes and dislikes as well as his eating behaviors. Unfortunately, he seems to completely ignore any greens I give him even if I make them move around like how his previous owner suggested. Whenever I give him crickets or a piece of fruit or non green veg like carrots, however, he eats them up in like three seconds. I know beardies can be picky eaters but I don’t know what to do. He also isn’t drinking water, I tried to give him a bath to try and hydrate him but he absolutely hated it (I made sure the water wasn’t deep so it wasn’t a matter of him drowning) and I don’t know what to do. I sprayed water on his nose so he would drink the drops as they fell to his mouth but he completely ignored it and let the water run off. Is it just because he is in a new environment or should be getting worried? I always offer him the food and water even if he isn’t eating it, and he seems to be used to my hand as well because whenever I put my hand in his tank he just looks at it and looks calm and curious, he isn’t running away from it either. He is also shedding (this is a lot of stuff I know lmao) and since he hates baths I don’t know how to help him get the shed off his tail because I don’t want to hurt him, but it’s been stuck there for a few days and I don’t want him to get stuck shed. If anyone has any pointers I would gladly appreciate it !

Attachments

• 39B52C39-8260-430E-B702-7C0408D2A099.jpeg
    39B52C39-8260-430E-B702-7C0408D2A099.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 161

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
Most of my dragons never ate enough salad. It is frustrating.

My oldest girl dragon, never eats veggies. I offered all the time and still do and it all goes dry. I even tried to throw pieces in her mouth while she was eating bugs, but she spat them out.

My best investment a few years back was a Magic Bullet. During the Spring and Summer I puree the fresh greens and veggies in the Bullet and feed her by syringe.

I also bought a dehydrator and coffee grinder and during the Fall and Winter I feed her the dehydrated and powdered veggies. I reconstitute with water, or baby food and again feed by syringe.

Syringing does ensure hydration as well, so they can get their greens and water together. I always syringe to the side of the mouth and not from the front, with only giving 1 to 2 mls per bite, so to speak. It has worked very well for me.

I tried everthing else, using bugs in veggies, fruit in veggies, bee pollen in veggies, hand feeding, wiggling, etc. Nothing worked, so syringe it is.

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey, I adopted a one year old beardie this week named Yoda, his previous owner told me the foods he likes and dislikes as well as his eating behaviors. Unfortunately, he seems to completely ignore any greens I give him even if I make them move around like how his previous owner suggested. Whenever I give him crickets or a piece of fruit or non green veg like carrots, however, he eats them up in like three seconds. I know beardies can be picky eaters but I don’t know what to do. He also isn’t drinking water, I tried to give him a bath to try and hydrate him but he absolutely hated it (I made sure the water wasn’t deep so it wasn’t a matter of him drowning) and I don’t know what to do. I sprayed water on his nose so he would drink the drops as they fell to his mouth but he completely ignored it and let the water run off. Is it just because he is in a new environment or should be getting worried? I always offer him the food and water even if he isn’t eating it, and he seems to be used to my hand as well because whenever I put my hand in his tank he just looks at it and looks calm and curious, he isn’t running away from it either. He is also shedding (this is a lot of stuff I know lmao) and since he hates baths I don’t know how to help him get the shed off his tail because I don’t want to hurt him, but it’s been stuck there for a few days and I don’t want him to get stuck shed. If anyone has any pointers I would gladly appreciate it !
First he's going thru relocation stress- so eating is going to be off- please leave the shed alone- it will come off on it's own- so we need to go over your uvb coil or long tube? Basking temps how are you taking them? Stick ons are inaccurate

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom