Nail clipping advice

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
Hi all! Herman's nails have been getting pretty long... I've been too afraid to cut them myself but it's becoming pretty problematic at this point... i watched a video recommended by someone here saying that I should get nail clippers meant for small animals (these are the ones i am thinking of: Top Paw® Pet Nail Clipper | dog Nail Clippers & Grinders | PetSmart). I also read an article that said it can be done with regular people nail clippers, so now I'm not sure what to trust. (this is the article, i'm not sure how reputable it is: How to trim your bearded dragon's nails - a step by step guide with pictures - Beardie Bungalow) Also, in the article, the author reccommended buying styptic powder to have in case of any bleeding. Is this neccessary? Is there anything else I can use instead?
Thanks!

animalgal17

Beardie name(s)
Jiyong, Rhaegal
Hi! I have two beardies and I clip their nails with regular people nail clippers. I just take the sharp tips off to save my skin and if they're running around they're not getting caught on the carpet and blankets. I have a friend that also uses people nail clippers on her beardie.

I talked to my vet about it just to make sure I wasn't doing it wrong and she just cautioned about cutting past the dark line in the nail since that's where the blood flow is. As for the styptic powder, I've never had a need for it but I would imagine corn starch or flour would work in a similar fashion.

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
Hi! I have two beardies and I clip their nails with regular people nail clippers. I just take the sharp tips off to save my skin and if they're running around they're not getting caught on the carpet and blankets. I have a friend that also uses people nail clippers on her beardie.

I talked to my vet about it just to make sure I wasn't doing it wrong and she just cautioned about cutting past the dark line in the nail since that's where the blood flow is. As for the styptic powder, I've never had a need for it but I would imagine corn starch or flour would work in a similar fashion.
His nails are really long... just cutting the dark part won't help... I will try to attach a picture shortly. However based on what I heard there's a translucent part under their nail that you CAN cut and a more opaque part that you CANNOT cut... is this true?

animalgal17

Beardie name(s)
Jiyong, Rhaegal
That is not something I have heard. I attached a picture of one of my girls' foot, I just cut her nails 2 days ago so there's no sharp tips but I don't cut them any shorter really. Any shorter and you run the risk of cutting the quick in the wider part of the nail.

animalgal17

Beardie name(s)
Jiyong, Rhaegal
20240311_174847.jpg

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
I am attaching some pictures I took of his nails. I tried to get a better picture but the camera wouldn't focus and then I got pooped on 😅
Do you see how long they are? Just cutting off that black part won't help...
And idk if it's visible in this picture but could you see how the very bottom part is translucent (the part that I know you're not supposed to cut) and on top of that is a slightly more opaque part? Maybe you could zoom in and see? I think it's the most visible on the last picture.

Attachments

• IMG_8417.jpg
    IMG_8417.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8418.jpg
    IMG_8418.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8419.jpg
    IMG_8419.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 19

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom