My 5 month old beardie quit eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

raelynn

I have a beardie that is about 13" long female. She used to eat up to 60 crickets in 1 day. She is eating 2 times a day. She has veggies all day and also was eating up to 6 of the medium size phoenix worms in the morning.
She is now only eating maybe 5-10 crickets at each meal, and not wanting the worms. Should i be worried that something is wrong? She still poops 2 times a day. Please help.

AMHaak

Juvie Member
I am not exactly for sure on this one. It could be parasites, or it could be the lighting. I hope someone else post who has a little more experience. Could you please give us a little more information about your beardie.

Lighting that is used:
Substrate use in enclosure:
What you feed,and how much:
Does your beardie have normal bowl movements:
Have you had a fecal test done:

raelynn

Original Poster
AMHaak":99dae said:
I am not exactly for sure on this one. It could be parasites, or it could be the lighting. I hope someone else post who has a little more experience. Could you please give us a little more information about your beardie.

Lighting that is used: T-REX
Substrate use in enclosure: Playsand
What you feed,and how much: right now she eats 5- 10 crickets 2 times a day, greens and squash(in cage all day) and if we can a couple of pheonix worms.
She WAS eating up to 60 crickets per day, 6 worms, and veggies.
Does your beardie have normal bowl movements: 1-2 times a day
Have you had a fecal test done: no

This just started within the last week.
She is still active and plays.

AMHaak

Juvie Member
Like I said I am no expert, and I hope that someone with more experience will help you soon. I will try to help the best I can. I do still have some more questions. A couple of things though first. You should get rid of the sand and put in cage carpet. If your beardie eats the sand it could cause an impaction, or it could get into their eyes or nose. If your beardie has eaten the sand already then that maybe why he is not eating. Also try giving your beardie a bath if you haven't already.

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?

Sorry for all the question, but it will help us to pinpoint what is wrong with your beardie.

raelynn

Original Poster
AMHaak":4e95f said:
Like I said I am no expert, and I hope that someone with more experience will help you soon. I will try to help the best I can. I do still have some more questions. A couple of things though first. You should get rid of the sand and put in cage carpet. If your beardie eats the sand it could cause an impaction, or it could get into their eyes or nose. If your beardie has eaten the sand already then that maybe why he is not eating. Also try giving your beardie a bath if you haven't already.

How old is your dragon? she is about 5 months
How long have you had your dragon? i got her the first week of June
How long is your dragon? 13"
What is the sex of your dragon? Female
Do you use UVB lights? I have all in one bulb
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? I believe it is the mercury vapor
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? i know it is t rex
How old is your UVB bulb? the first week in June
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? 6-7 inches
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? no just the one light
What are the basking temps? 105
What is the cool side temp? 85
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? i have thermometers on each side of the tank
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? under the light next even were she lays on the log
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? NO
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. Crickets, phoenix worms, collard greens, turnip greens, yellow squash, and zuchinni
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? between 8 & 9 in the morning (her light turns on @ 7) and then in the evening she eats @ 530 and the light turns off @ 830 (she usually lays down somewhere @ 8)
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? Yes we keep the crickets in a storage container with 2 dishes of food and 1 of the drink gel w/calcuim
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? rep-cal (on the veggies every morning) and the multi-vitamin once a week
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? 1-2 times per day
Do you bath your dragon? How often? 2 weekly
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? she is misted every morning and we have a larger dish she crawls through to play in and then a drinking dish.
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? No we only have a dog
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? no

Sorry for all the question, but it will help us to pinpoint what is wrong with your beardie.

She also has shed 2 previous times and her tail has already shed for a 3rd time and her body scales have changed color showing that she is fixing to shed that also.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there, the T-Rex is a very good mercury vapor bulb? Do you have the 100 or 160 watt? Regardless of which wattage it is, it is WAY to close at only 6 to 7 inches away. For the 100 watt, it needs to be a minimum of 12" from your beardie and if the 160 watt, it needs to be a minimum of 18" away. Those bulbs throw off a LOT of heat and a LOT of ultra violet rays so that's why there is a minimum distance. I have one of those bulbs in a 55 gallon that is 16" from my basking beardie, so I know the output of these bulbs.

Since you're using a 40 gallon tank and have the bulb at those close distance, he is literally dehydrated before your eyes. Also, the only 2 ways to get accurate readings are with either a temperature gun or digital thermometer with a long wire & probe end. With the ones you're using now, the temps can be off by as much as 20 degrees. I suggest you move the bulb away asap and go to Walmart and buy the AcuRite brand digital thermometer with probe, it costs about $12.00 and should be in the area of the store where the plastic thermometers are sold. I would also recommend frequent baths to help hydrate him, leave him in some warm water covering his front legs for at least 20 minutes.

AMHaak

Juvie Member
I am so glad to hear that someone responded to your post!!! I totally agree. I think your beardie is dehydrated. I hope your beardie gets better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom