Lump under Loki’s jaw and orange to gue

Lilliy12

I noticed a a lump on Loki’s jaw, and it looks red near this area in his mouth. His tongue also looks very orange. Loki doesn’t eat well, so I feed him Beardie Buffet from a syringe. He likes it, but this is the side where I put the syringe to feed him and wonder if that caused this problem. I am taking him to the vet today and am hoping someone can give advice on what antibiotic may be best and what I should expect. I worry I won’t see someone who treats bearded dragons because it is an urgent appt and I want to be sure they take the right steps to figure it out. I have attached two photos.

Attachments

• 5AA26D4C-D7B4-4B21-AE88-EF12715FA449.jpeg
    5AA26D4C-D7B4-4B21-AE88-EF12715FA449.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 51
  • DF7C0B3B-4F2A-4F2C-97DC-B3B469ADF44D.jpeg
    DF7C0B3B-4F2A-4F2C-97DC-B3B469ADF44D.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 37

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I noticed a a lump on Loki’s jaw, and it looks red near this area in his mouth. His tongue also looks very orange. Loki doesn’t eat well, so I feed him Beardie Buffet from a syringe. He likes it, but this is the side where I put the syringe to feed him and wonder if that caused this problem. I am taking him to the vet today and am hoping someone can give advice on what antibiotic may be best and what I should expect. I worry I won’t see someone who treats bearded dragons because it is an urgent appt and I want to be sure they take the right steps to figure it out. I have attached two photos.
I would say that is a stain from the beardie buffet -- we can have some others look at it
@CooperDragon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
His mouth looks OK to me. I've seen some dragons with a tongue tip that is a different color and it hasn't posed a problem, so I wouldn't say for sure that it's a problem in this case. Look for signs of it changing color or the second color spreading across more of the tongue or mouth. If it stays as it is, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

As far as the lump on the jaw goes, I'm not sure what that is. It could just be some swollen tissue. It could be related to the nearby shed. Does it feel hard or soft? I would be cautious about offering antibiotics without testing for infection and targeting a specific bacteria. Since it's in the area you syringe feed and is red/irritated inside his mouth, that could be the cause or a contributing factor. Switching sides or perhaps moving to something like a crop needle with a soft plastic tube at the end would be easier on him. I'd probably try that first and see if the irritation starts to go away over a week or two.

Lilliy12

Original Poster
His mouth looks OK to me. I've seen some dragons with a tongue tip that is a different color and it hasn't posed a problem, so I wouldn't say for sure that it's a problem in this case. Look for signs of it changing color or the second color spreading across more of the tongue or mouth. If it stays as it is, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

As far as the lump on the jaw goes, I'm not sure what that is. It could just be some swollen tissue. It could be related to the nearby shed. Does it feel hard or soft? I would be cautious about offering antibiotics without testing for infection and targeting a specific bacteria. Since it's in the area you syringe feed and is red/irritated inside his mouth, that could be the cause or a contributing factor. Switching sides or perhaps moving to something like a crop needle with a soft plastic tube at the end would be easier on him. I'd probably try that first and see if the irritation starts to go away over a week or two.
Thank you so much for the input! I don’t want to make it worse by not taking him to the vet right away, but don’t want unnecessary antibiotics. Could this be an access? I attached a photo with labels. Thanks and would love your thoughts on abscess!

Attachments

• E728D865-B02B-4257-AF49-1F2B0DB69198.jpeg
    E728D865-B02B-4257-AF49-1F2B0DB69198.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 35

Lilliy12

Original Poster

The lump is hard!

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Flagging Tracie our vet tech

@Drache613

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The lump there is hard? It could be an abscess, or a cyst. Since you have been feeding him from that
side of his mouth, that could have injured it possibly. When did you notice the swelling? Antibiotics may
not be warranted though, but in the case they are Baytril is routinely used as a broad spectrum, or Ceftz/
Fortaz as well.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom