loss of apetite and decreased activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonsrock

Hatchling Member
My My 6 month old Bearded Dragon has started acting funny. He hasn't eaten in 4 days, he hasn't pooed either, he does'nt really move around like he used to. He just kind of lays on or under his log. He starting to loose weight. I keep him in a 20 gallon vivarium, I use All Living Things brand compact light bulbs, plenty of climbing material, 12 hours of light daily, I supplement all of his meals with calcium and multivitamins. The tip of his tongue is kind of yellowish and I'm worried that it could be Mouth Rot or some type of parasite.
Where did I go wrong? What should I do?

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
Ok. I don't know anything about the yellowish tongue... that's strange.

But I've got a couple Qs

What type of UVB are you using? (flourescent tube, coil/compact or mercury vapor bulb, please include brand) - the all things living bulb is NOT a UVB...
How old is your UVB bulb?

What are your temps (cool side & basking spot)?
What are you using to measure temps? (stick on/analog therm, digital therm with probe or temp gun?)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The All Living Things compact light is NOT a UVB light. Sorry! So you will need to get a UVB light source. The best one that you can get is the Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb. You can purchase it online from: http://www.petmountain.com for much cheaper than from a petstore. What type of basking light do you use, a bright white light or a colored light?
So, he is not able to absorb calcium due to the lack of the UVB exposure. Once you get a new light, you should see a huge improvment in his activity as well as his appetite. You can also try to get some jumpstart from http://www.reptilesupply.com to help with his appetite right now.
The calcium supplementation should be used once daily, 5 times per week. How much do you feed him?
What type of substrate are you using, sand, tiles, paper towels?
The tip of the tongue is normally a greyish or off color, so I don't think that is a problem.
What are the temps in your tank? What do you use to measure them, a stick on type of thermometer, a digital probe or a temp gun?
The recommended basking temps are 95-110 & the cooler end around 78-82.
Mouthrot is normally caused initially by a mouth injury of some sort that gets infected, but if the temps are not optimal, or his health is compromised that is what allows his body to get the infection most of the time.
Can you post a picture of him for us?
Sorry for double posting from both of us! :D

Tracie

dragonsrock

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have no UVB light source, the cool side of the vivarium is 80 degrees Farenheit, basking spot is 90-105 degrees Farenheit, I use a stick on thermometer, I feed him as many crickets as he'll eat ( usually about 20- 30) I use a Reptile Bark made especially for Bearded Dragons.
I have no idea how to post a picture.

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
Ok... yeah. As Tracie said- a UVB is crucial and you will notice a huge gain in activity when you get a new one. Heck, I notice a huge activity increase when I replace mine!

You'll also want to get a different temp gauge. Digital thermometers with probes are pretty cheap (under $15) and so very much more accurate than the stick ons!

To post a pic, open a free photobucket acct and upload the pics. Cut & paste the IMG code it gives you into a thread here and VOILA! picture!

What's your little guy's name anyways?

peera

Sub-Adult Member
I'm a little surprised no one else has pointed out that at 6 months, a 20 gallon viv is probably far to small.
You'll probably want to get him off the Reptibark as well, and onto either paper towel or tile... it's really not the best thing for them, if they accidently ingest it it can cause impactions. Just because things are made for beardies doesn't mean it's good for them, unfortunatly.

dragonsrock

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks you guys! I'll get a new thermometer and UVB ligh source ASAP
My Bearded Dragon's name is Prajna, it's Sanskrit it means enlightened :)

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
One thing- Tracie mentioned the reptisun 10.0. It's really really really the bulb you want.
Online it's only about $20. In stores, it can run close to $50. Just something to keep in mind! And UVBs need to be replaced every 6 months! The bulb won't burn out, but the UVB will.

dragonsrock

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Update: My mom bought a Reptiglo 10 UVB light bulb and a 40 gal. vivarium yesterday evening. Prajna's looking better, he's moving around, and he's "smiling."
Thanks a bunch for all the help and support. :)

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Good on the 40 gal viv!

However, you'll need to take the Reptiglo light back, it's the ReptiSUN 10.0 you want. I know it's confusing since the names are similiar, but the reptiglo is just about the worst UVB made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom