Lola has stress marks ALL the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elaina

Juvie Member
I don't get it. Her temps are good. She has been to the vet..nothin. She's got quite lazy too. She can be a picky eater, but I do think she's eating ok. Especially when Mom breaks out the babyfood...YUM! The other night I thought, maybe she wants out more. Took her out (as I do everyday) and after a bit she had a nice white belly. Last night, took her out, stress marks stayed, and she just kept heading back to her viv. So I put her back. I have no cause or solution for the stress marks. Am I missing anything?

Elaina

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Alrighty..her basking area is usually around 101, it fluctuates a few degrees here and there. Cool side around 75. BUT- I decided two nights ago that her viv is getting too cold at night, and put an under tank heating pad on the corner of the cool side. I just replaced her UV like 3-4 weeks ago, it was and is ReptiSun 10 Tube. I use paper towel as substrate..ummm...I dunno. Its all pretty good I think. And like I said, I took her to the vet. Diagnosis: healthy lizard. I took her in because she slowed on her eating and then stopped for several days (at which point I hand fed her). She is about 10 months old, fat and happy. I have had her since she was as big as my pinkie. The vet thought that brumation may be the culprit. I talked with Denise Bushnell, she thought maybe too.

But she isn't really napping much, just bein lazy. She's funny about her food sometimes anyway, and so if she goes a few days I whip out the baby food- she is all over it. Last night she was out for a long time, and alert and happy. Stress marks gone.

If she's brumating, she's just dipping her toes in. I just don't like the stress marks.

ArdorAndZeal1

Hatchling Member
hmm---

maybe try switching feeders around?
-
And maybe... Just Maybe, your dragon is just messing with you... to see if you care. LOL.

Happens.
-
as long as she is getting her nutrients, and hydration, and healthy poops.... all is well?
-
keep us posted!

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I'm not convinced those "stress marks" are really caused by stress. My current two beardies have the dark "stress" marks while in their vivs. When we take them out, the "stress marks" disappear. One is a new beardie and is still a little stressed.

maxattack

Juvie Member
Elaina,

I'm no expert, but I've read in some other posts that if you raise their ambient temp (cool side temps) in the viv to about 85 degrees, they will eat more and be more active. I checked the readings in Buttercups viv and I guess since the temps are getting cooler outside I noticed that the temps in her viv had dropped about 5-10 degrees depending on time of day. You might try upping the wattage on your basking light. I went from a 60 watt to a 75 and it raised temps just enough.

ArdorAndZeal1

Hatchling Member
ya -- thats a good point for all of us to consider... tis the season for more wattage.

also, for a quick fix try covering the top with a towel to keep the heat in better.

make sure it isnt apt to catch fire.

Elaina

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Nothing new. Nothing threatening..except a toddler lol. She's used to him. And he doesn't bother her anyway. I raised the heat in her viv already (see first post). My house is weird. We tsruggled with temps for quite awhile, but i finally got it down -I use 100 watt bulb for the basking area, and a 60 for the middle, nothing on the cooler side. She's warm! Not too warm, I'm watchful. She goes thru spurts with her eating, and when I change the feeders, she snaps them up. Right now she is stuck with crickets and superworms. :cry: Poor baby LOL! She also can climb a couple of places if she wants a change of temp or scenery.

I'm not freaking out about this, but it does concern me. She is totally fine! :banghead: :banghead:

She does lose the marks when I have her out- usually. Like you said beardie parents. Maybe she's just spoiled. :oops:

ArdorAndZeal1

Hatchling Member
they darken when they want to absorb more heat/light... remember middle school? remember "albedo" -- that science thing about dark roofs abosrbing more heat than light roofs? etc?

- you're a dragon slave.

me too.

BrownEyes87

Hatchling Member
Mines a young one and hes got stress marks. Lines down his belly and neck...I've only had him 2 and a half days now...

Elaina

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well your baby is definitely stressed because he has come to a new home. Relocation stress. It should pass in a bit, could take a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom