Little bugs in cage?

Beardie name(s)
Smaug
Ever since winter started over here in Australia, my bearded dragons encolosure has started to have all of these tiny little bugs in it, there’s a lot of them and I don’t know how to get rid of them, there starting to annoy me a lot and I just don’t know what to do. There has also recently started to be ants as well. I don’t know how this has happened but I don’t want my beardy to get sick? Is this happening to any one else as well? I need to know how to get rid of them without Harming Smaug.

Thanks.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I would deep clean the habitat and wipe it down with ammonia. Be sure to rinse the ammonia out and aur it out to zero fumes, ammonia is toxic. Soak or bake all the decor to kill anything hiding in it.

Smaugthebeardy!

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
Might just be gnats
But about the ants, are there ants IN your beardie's enclosure!?
Yes they’re in the cage! There isn’t too many ants at the moment but ever since winter started there’s been ants in the cage! I think that may be what the little flying bugs are I just don’t know how to get rid of both.

Smaugthebeardy!

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
I would deep clean the habitat and wipe it down with ammonia. Be sure to rinse the ammonia out and aur it out to zero fumes, ammonia is toxic. Soak or bake all the decor to kill anything hiding in it.
I will look into doing that. I’m just always scared to use stuff that may harm her. I’ve always been scared that I will accidentally hurt Smaug.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I will look into doing that. I’m just always scared to use stuff that may harm her. I’ve always been scared that I will accidentally hurt Smaug.
Just be diligent about getting out the ammonia (or whatever you use) and airing out the habitat before you put your beardie back in. 🙂

ALuxe1

Beardie name(s)
Bowser
Well bugs in their enclosure can kill them
I learned that the hard way with my previous dragon
I've read distilled white vinegar is safe but again make sure the fumes are non existent because they can irritate your beardie. That's what I use in mines enclosure and it hasn't bothered her but I also take a rag with hot water afterwards and wipe all the walls and the floor off then dry with a fan. I also use vinegar to clean all of her hides and things and rinse with hot water and I use a hair dryer to dry them faster. I use newspaper as substrate and will continue to do so because I've heard no good things about sand. I hope this helps you!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
The newspaper is NOT a good option. Use paper towel instead. The ink in the newspaper is incredibly strong. I'm personally sensitive to anything that makes fumes. I can not read a newspapers without having sinus problems for several days after. Beardies have a more simplistic respotory system then we do. There is a very good chance the newspaper is irritating the bejebbers out of theit respotory system. It just isn't worth the risk. Can you imagine being trapped in a room full of bleach or ammonia with no way out? That's what newspapers represents for them.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom