Lighting help for a new owner, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!
So my mother brought my son shopping for his bday and they came home with a baby bearded dragon (the original plan was for a hamster). So of course the pet store worker talked her into one of the 20g kits that are pretty much full of crap. After doing research all that night and then a bunch of online shopping to get the correct things I'm still having some questions.
The baby, who's name is Drako, is still in the 20g but now with a 24inch reptisun t5 10.0 uvb on top of the screen. I now have a 40g that I plan to move him to but I don't know where to put the uvb bulb because the top mesh is a very tight, dark mesh so I believe it would filter the uvb rays too much but the tank is only 18 inches tall so I also can't mount it inside the tank either, right? Please let me know how this should be done or do I need to get a whole different uvb set up? Thanks so much, this forum has been a huge help so far!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello!
So my mother brought my son shopping for his bday and they came home with a baby bearded dragon (the original plan was for a hamster). So of course the pet store worker talked her into one of the 20g kits that are pretty much full of crap. After doing research all that night and then a bunch of online shopping to get the correct things I'm still having some questions.
The baby, who's name is Drako, is still in the 20g but now with a 24inch reptisun t5 10.0 uvb on top of the screen. I now have a 40g that I plan to move him to but I don't know where to put the uvb bulb because the top mesh is a very tight, dark mesh so I believe it would filter the uvb rays too much but the tank is only 18 inches tall so I also can't mount it inside the tank either, right? Please let me know how this should be done or do I need to get a whole different uvb set up? Thanks so much, this forum has been a huge help so far!
Please get some of this GE 15 ft. Cable Ties, Hook and Loop Spool, Black-10375 - The Home Depot its like a Velcro strap cut into strips wrap around the fixture --- place the basking decor piece directly under it 12-15 inches ---- please replace the 5.0 bulb for a Reptisun 10.0-- T 5 bulb -- I posted the distance for that bulb -- the bulb will need to be changed out in approx one yr from install I recommend a month prior to----------- also you are going to be doing most of the care for the dragon -- they are too complex for a kid --- most teenagers struggle w/ them as well as adults -- they are not a childs pet to be honest --- let us know if you have any more questions or need some advice -- we are here to help

Drakodragon8

Original Poster
Please get some of this GE 15 ft. Cable Ties, Hook and Loop Spool, Black-10375 - The Home Depot its like a Velcro strap cut into strips wrap around the fixture --- place the basking decor piece directly under it 12-15 inches ---- please replace the 5.0 bulb for a Reptisun 10.0-- T 5 bulb -- I posted the distance for that bulb -- the bulb will need to be changed out in approx one yr from install I recommend a month prior to----------- also you are going to be doing most of the care for the dragon -- they are too complex for a kid --- most teenagers struggle w/ them as well as adults -- they are not a childs pet to be honest --- let us know if you have any more questions or need some advice -- we are here to help
Hi!
Thanks so much for getting back to me. I already have the 10.0 T-5 bulb, I ordered it right away with the hood and switched it out before putting it on the top of the 20 gallon. Sorry if I sound stupid but he needs to be 12 to 15 inches away from the bulb once I mount it in the 40 gallon tank? This is the issue I'm having as the tank is only 18 inches tall so his basking spots should only be about 3 inches tall? Is it ok to have some areas closer or no? As soon as I started doing research I knew this little guy would become mine. I can't lie, I'm pretty obsessed with him, it's like having another new born baby lol! Any new beardie parenting advice would be wonderful! One more question, how long should I wait before I move him into the new tank, we've had him for about 9 days, and I dont want to stress him out again so soon with another change?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi!
Thanks so much for getting back to me. I already have the 10.0 T-5 bulb, I ordered it right away with the hood and switched it out before putting it on the top of the 20 gallon. Sorry if I sound stupid but he needs to be 12 to 15 inches away from the bulb once I mount it in the 40 gallon tank? This is the issue I'm having as the tank is only 18 inches tall so his basking spots should only be about 3 inches tall? Is it ok to have some areas closer or no? As soon as I started doing research I knew this little guy would become mine. I can't lie, I'm pretty obsessed with him, it's like having another new born baby lol! Any new beardie parenting advice would be wonderful! One more question, how long should I wait before I move him into the new tank, we've had him for about 9 days, and I dont want to stress him out again so soon with another change?
You want the UVB directly over him 12-15 inches -- your 40 gallon is fine --- it has enough height - the T 5 bulb is too strong for the 20 gallon tank - the 5.0 would be perfect -- the only thing is the 5.0 bulb needs to be unobstructed and distance is 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor --- no matter what you do hes going to go thru relocation stress so you might as well move him now- he should be fine - his eating may be off but you want him eating something - fresh salads everyday Nutrition Content ignore the kale thing its good staple feeder -- I can post some more diet stuff if you need it --- websites for insects/ worms etc --

Drakodragon8

Original Poster
You want the UVB directly over him 12-15 inches -- your 40 gallon is fine --- it has enough height - the T 5 bulb is too strong for the 20 gallon tank - the 5.0 would be perfect -- the only thing is the 5.0 bulb needs to be unobstructed and distance is 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor --- no matter what you do hes going to go thru relocation stress so you might as well move him now- he should be fine - his eating may be off but you want him eating something - fresh salads everyday Nutrition Content ignore the kale thing its good staple feeder -- I can post some more diet stuff if you need it --- websites for insects/ worms etc --
I have already order some roaches and bsfl as well as crickets. He loves the crickets, which I would like to not use as often which is why I ordered the other 2. He won't touch the bsfl which is a bummer because I ordered a good amount thinking he would gobble them right up! I order small size roaches but when they came in they seemed way too big, my little guy is only 7 inches long and about 13g. I did find another website and their small roaches seem to actually be small, they're due to come in tomorrow so we will see. Im also dusting his crickets with repashy calcium plus once a day, this is an all in one powder right? I don't need to do extra vitamins? I also offer greens daily but I've only seen him try them once.
Another question I have is the bigger tank was used, I got it off Facebook marketplace. How do I properly sanitize it. I did order a couple of products off of beardeddragon.co, coccicidal concentrated disinfectant and eco clean concentrate. Will these be sufficient? Thanks for all your help!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad you did some research right away and are making improvements. That will make a big difference in the long run! As far as the enclosure goes, I agree that the 5.0 T5 is a good fit for a 20g, but the 10.0 will be better for the 40g. I'd move to the 40g sooner rather than later in order to provide as much space as possible. I'd say that with either bulb, just leave it on the top of the enclosure. You can put some branches in and/or build some stone pieces to elevate the basking area and allow close access. You also want areas away from the most intense UVB light, so setting the fixture along the back or along the front will create a nice gradeint along the depth of the enclosure. Providing choices in terms of UVB intensity and surface temperatures around the enclosure will allow him to move around to self regulate. It's easier to provide these options with a larger space.

For the roach sizes, it's good that you noticed that they seem large. It's possible that they are too large and shifting to a smaller size temporarily is the way to go. The main thing to look for is if he's able to chew them down easily. If he can get a hold of them and chew them up well, he shouldn't have much issue digesting them. You can keep the extra roaches in a bin and feed them scraps of squash, pumpkin, bread, bell peppers, etc and they should do well for a long time. Black soldier fly larvae (Phoenix worms/repti worms/etc) are another good option to offer a small dragon (and my adult loves them too). I'd check out symton bsf and try out a pack, or pick some up locally if available and see how those go over. Offering a variety of food will help ensure he gets the nutrients he needs to grow.

For cleaning, the eco clean concentrate should be fine. I typically just use white vinegar and that works well. For sanitization, I'm not familiar with their brand of coccicidal, but a decent veterinary disinfectant is good to have. I typically use F10 (I get the concentrate and mix it with water in a sprayer - the smallest bottle lasts years) and Rescue is also a good one that I've used at the local animal shelter. Cleaning surfaces, then sanitizing is the key. For the new tank, just clean it up thoroughly, then sanitize it and you should be in good shape.

Drakodragon8

Original Poster
I'm glad you did some research right away and are making improvements. That will make a big difference in the long run! As far as the enclosure goes, I agree that the 5.0 T5 is a good fit for a 20g, but the 10.0 will be better for the 40g. I'd move to the 40g sooner rather than later in order to provide as much space as possible. I'd say that with either bulb, just leave it on the top of the enclosure. You can put some branches in and/or build some stone pieces to elevate the basking area and allow close access. You also want areas away from the most intense UVB light, so setting the fixture along the back or along the front will create a nice gradeint along the depth of the enclosure. Providing choices in terms of UVB intensity and surface temperatures around the enclosure will allow him to move around to self regulate. It's easier to provide these options with a larger space.

For the roach sizes, it's good that you noticed that they seem large. It's possible that they are too large and shifting to a smaller size temporarily is the way to go. The main thing to look for is if he's able to chew them down easily. If he can get a hold of them and chew them up well, he shouldn't have much issue digesting them. You can keep the extra roaches in a bin and feed them scraps of squash, pumpkin, bread, bell peppers, etc and they should do well for a long time. Black soldier fly larvae (Phoenix worms/repti worms/etc) are another good option to offer a small dragon (and my adult loves them too). I'd check out symton bsf and try out a pack, or pick some up locally if available and see how those go over. Offering a variety of food will help ensure he gets the nutrients he needs to grow.

For cleaning, the eco clean concentrate should be fine. I typically just use white vinegar and that works well. For sanitization, I'm not familiar with their brand of coccicidal, but a decent veterinary disinfectant is good to have. I typically use F10 (I get the concentrate and mix it with water in a sprayer - the smallest bottle lasts years) and Rescue is also a good one that I've used at the local animal shelter. Cleaning surfaces, then sanitizing is the key. For the new tank, just clean it up thoroughly, then sanitize it and you should be in good shape.
Thanks so much for getting back to me! So you think it'll be fine to have the T5 10.0 on top of the screen? I have 4 different basking areas for him that range in height, the closest being about 7 inches from the top of the enclosure.
Symton is actually where I got the roaches from and I ordered BSFL at the same time, they're not his favorite unfortunately lol, he only eats one or two each time I offer them to him but we will continue trying! When it comes to dusting, I know the bsfl don't need to be, but do I have the right thing, it's repashy calcium plus, does that cover all his needs or do I need to get a separate vitamin as well?
I'm using non adhesive shelf liner for his substrate, is this ok? He seemed a bit apprehensive about it the first time he walked on it so I was second guessing my self but the reptile carpet worries me because of germs and toenails getting stuck? I want to eventually get some kind of tile but have to do a bit more research on that.
Thanks so much, this group is really awesome and has helped us learn so much! Drako may have been a surprise but I love the little guy, or girl I guess, so much already.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
As long as the screen is a wide hole type it's fine on top if it's a fine mesh it should go inside plus distance is different from where it's placed- inside 12-15 inches - directly above the basking decor - 8-10 inches top directly above the basking decor- the non adhesive shelf liner is good- you want a textured slated ceramic tile - nothing too smooth and nothing too coarse

Drakodragon8

Original Poster
As long as the screen is a wide hole type it's fine on top if it's a fine mesh it should go inside plus distance is different from where it's placed- inside 12-15 inches - directly above the basking decor - 8-10 inches top directly above the basking decor- the non adhesive shelf liner is good- you want a textured slated ceramic tile - nothing too smooth and nothing too coarse
Ok, so I should probably definitely mount it inside then because its a fine mesh and coated black too. Any suggestions on where I can find a fixture for mounting inside? I dont think it would work with the hood I have now. I've checked on Walmart and Amazon for an under the counter fluorescent fixture that holds a 22 inch bulb and they all seem to now be LED type lights?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok, so I should probably definitely mount it inside then because its a fine mesh and coated black too. Any suggestions on where I can find a fixture for mounting inside? I dont think it would work with the hood I have now. I've checked on Walmart and Amazon for an under the counter fluorescent fixture that holds a 22 inch bulb and they all seem to now be LED type lights?
You dont want a under the counter fixture use the hood you have that has a reflector the ones sold at the home improvement stores have no reflectors in them and they do not work -- you can use this stuff it works great its like a Velcro strap cut into strips then wrap around your fixture - I use this in my tanks and it works real good GE 15 ft. Cable Ties, Hook and Loop Spool, Black-10375 - The Home Depot

Drakodragon8

Original Poster
You dont want a under the counter fixture use the hood you have that has a reflector the ones sold at the home improvement stores have no reflectors in them and they do not work -- you can use this stuff it works great its like a Velcro strap cut into strips then wrap around your fixture - I use this in my tanks and it works real good GE 15 ft. Cable Ties, Hook and Loop Spool, Black-10375 - The Home Depot
Ok, thanks. I guess that's better then having to buy another fixture. Now, I feel a bit daft because its just really not computing how you attach the hood with those strips, is there any way you could post a pic of how you did it, like what its attached too and which way it is facing? Thanks again!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok, thanks. I guess that's better then having to buy another fixture. Now, I feel a bit daft because its just really not computing how you attach the hood with those strips, is there any way you could post a pic of how you did it, like what its attached too and which way it is facing? Thanks again!
Your screen wrap it thru your screen you may haft to cut some of the wire mesh the strips stick to each other

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom